Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

wwyd...replacing dipes, wash question and purchasing question...gmd pfs vs. meos

We are getting ready to do some replacing...our diapers have taken a beating...not sure why, but many have gotten holes in them our flats, and gmd pfs are fine, but our colorgrown pfs and goodmamas have gotten holey we wash every 2-3 days with tide f&c...no ammonia problems, or rashes (talking about my infant dipes here, not the toddler from an earlier thread) or signs that they need stripping. But just this past month or two, they've just been getting terribly torn apart. It started a couple months ago with 1 or 2 diapers...I thought it was a fluke and just tossed them, but a couple of weeks ago it happened to most of our pf and gm stash! I'm just at a loss... So any advice here to protect the dipes we have left would be much appreciated!

We need to replace our pfs now, we only have a handful left, but we are also used to good fitteds..we definitely cannot afford to replace our goodmamas we're really gonna miss these ...but I know meos are cheaper and have been wanting to try them for a while now. We want to spend as little as possible to get organic diapers. And i know the pfs are our best bet there...but I'm willing to look for a good deal on fsot for meos if they're worth it. Are we going to be dissappointed if we're used to the gms?

Would you get a dozen pfs and 6-12 meos or just 18-24 pfs?

Advertisement

Last edited by harmoni247; 01-04-2011 at 09:58 PM.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
umajo
Registered Users
seller

Re: wwyd...replacing dipes, wash question and purchasing question...gmd pfs vs. meos

I used prefolds exclusively on my ODD, now almost 4 years old. With dd2, I started using MEOS when she was around 6 months because she was too wiggly to get the prefold on with a snappi or pins. I must say, I love my MEOS! They are now being used on ds. The bamboo ones are super soft (although they do lose a lot of it after a year or two of washing) and a bit thinner than the cotton ones. They are also a bit stretchy and IMHO probably more comfortable for babies. I also find them a lot easier to put on and pretty much bullet proof compared to prefolds.

I've never tried a goodmama, but I think the MEOS are thinner all over and wider through the crotch. The thinness makes it fit on an 8 lb baby (although a bit bulky). I needed to add the snap in doubler when my LO was around 20 lbs or so and needed more absorbency. The wide crotch helps with containment, and the fabric just scrunches up between baby's legs, so it's not terribly bulky. MEOS also has only a tiny bit of elastic in the legs and back (it's hard to tell, but there is a bit), so it's almost more like a contour dipe (but much better containment). So it is quite unique compared to typical fitteds. It seems like people either love it or hate it. On dd2 (28 months, 30 lbs, average build) I find that a MEOS with a doubler is quite trim under clothes. They're also very durable. They should last through a few children at least.

I would buy just one MEOS (bamboo is great!) to try out and see if you like it. You can always sell it again if it's not working.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
garness
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: wwyd...replacing dipes, wash question and purchasing question...gmd pfs vs. meos

I have both. I started using the MEOS at about 5 months and am still using them at 2 + years. They have been fine, but the fit is different that most fitteds. I would do the mix of prefolds and MEOS. Mine our organic and the snap in soakers are getting wholes around the edges. The other other diapers of mine that are doing that are my AIOs, really irritates me too, because I think diapers should last longer , but I have used the AIOs a lot.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:39 AM   #4
QHoneyB
Registered Users
seller

Hm... As for the holes, I have had that problem with some diapers with mold. If I wash every three days, it gives time for mold spores to start growing (it is hot and humid here). If that happens, even if I wash the diapers and sanitize them, the fabric is weakened and over time will develop holes. Some materials are more probe to this than others. My prefolds have been fine, but anything bamboo is more delicate as are some fitteds. Try washing every 2 days if you think that might be a component to the holes.

I used MEOS for a long time for night diapers, I love them! I tried all of the fabrics. This was when I was washing every 3 days, so I did have some of the mold issues and some wear and tear. The bamboo was the moat delicate. It doesn't have holes (the polyester base keeps it intact) but it has many many bare spots. The organic ones have lots and lots of small holes. I stitched the holes and kept using them, and they are still useable, but won't last as long as they should. The stretch terry (cotton with polyester base) held up the best. It is still in great shape! A little bit of lint collection in the corners, but no holes or bare spots. So if you want sturdy, I'd go with their original stretch terry! My GMD prefolds are still going strong, too. I guess the colorgeown prefolds were just too delicate, along with the bamboo GMs.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by QHoneyB View Post
Hm... As for the holes, I have had that problem with some diapers with mold. If I wash every three days, it gives time for mold spores to start growing (it is hot and humid here). If that happens, even if I wash the diapers and sanitize them, the fabric is weakened and over time will develop holes. Some materials are more probe to this than others. My prefolds have been fine, but anything bamboo is more delicate as are some fitteds. Try washing every 2 days if you think that might be a component to the holes.

I used MEOS for a long time for night diapers, I love them! I tried all of the fabrics. This was when I was washing every 3 days, so I did have some of the mold issues and some wear and tear. The bamboo was the moat delicate. It doesn't have holes (the polyester base keeps it intact) but it has many many bare spots. The organic ones have lots and lots of small holes. I stitched the holes and kept using them, and they are still useable, but won't last as long as they should. The stretch terry (cotton with polyester base) held up the best. It is still in great shape! A little bit of lint collection in the corners, but no holes or bare spots. So if you want sturdy, I'd go with their original stretch terry! My GMD prefolds are still going strong, too. I guess the colorgeown prefolds were just too delicate, along with the bamboo GMs.
Oh no . yuck. We had mold grow in our pail once, but I thought it was a fluke, took care of it and never saw it again....so the spores are still in there?!? I thought that the heat of the wash and dry would've killed it all...and the oxyclean...I knew I should've tossed them....does this mean that the spores are in the other dipes as well? Are they all doomed or can I get them out somehow??? I don't want to get new dipes and have them get spores from the old ones! Yuck, yuck, yuck....thanks for helping! I think ill set a phone alarm to remind me...every other day....though I don't understand...I've read some moms going a whole week before washing!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
QHoneyB
Registered Users
seller

Some houses and places have more mold than others unfortunately you probably did kill the mold with the hot water and oxyclean, but mold spores are in the air, everywhere. And they can quickly multiply on damp cloth, especially with urine I'm sure. Some ppl here in Malaysia get mold on their diapers simply from them taking too long to dry when they hang dry! I always use a dryer.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Ok, I guess we'll just have to switch to every 1-2 days from now on...have you found any soap that helped? Were on our last bottle of tide f&c (we had about ten bottles) and planned on switching detergent too...maybe ill do a search and see...
Old 01-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
shreck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I vote for the mix of prefolds and MEOS. My favorite MEOS are the bamboo ones, because they're soft and trim. Next favorite are the cotton terry, and then least favorite is the organic which is more bulky and stiff feeling.
shreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
elvenmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would say try one or two meos from FSOT so you can check to see how well they fit your child. MEOS are a lot more handy than prefolds because they are fitted and have snaps, but it's hard to find covers to go over them...we use thirsties duo's size 2. Wool and the mother ease covers as well as gen y fit well, any fuller cut cover should work.

I've been using my bamboo meos for almost a year and a half with washing every 2 days and they are still fine, a little thinner than they were before I bought them, but still very soft and absorbant. The bamboo fabric is now blended with cotton and more polyester so they should be able to withstand holes.
elvenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
QHoneyB
Registered Users
seller

I haven't experimented much with detergents much, my choices are quite limited here in Malaysia. I am using Tiny Bubbles which I like. I used to use Charlie's Soap, I prefer Tiny Bubbles though.

Oh yeah, I forgot that Motherease changed their bamboo fabric, now it's bamboo and cotton on a polyester base as pp mentioned. I bet it wouldn't get bare spots as fast as mine did.