Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2011, 05:18 AM   #1
apboyles
Registered Users

My Mood:
I think I have a latch problem.

It doesn't hurt. But DS makes this sucking/clicking sound while nursing. Its been going on probably about 6 weeks now. Its like he's clicking his tongue off the top of his mouth while feeding, if that makes any sense. Kind of like he's trying to suck out of a straw. I was thinking of seeing the lactation consultant because I don't know if its normal or not.

Also, he's started fiddling around while nursing. He's a super quick nurser anyways (5-7 minutes on one boob every 2-3 hours) and now he's pulling off, re-latching for a few sucks, pulling off and wiggling around, re-latching for a few sucks again until I get frustrated and say we're done. Its always after letdown and everything so maybe he's done and just messing around? I don't know. Is this normal also? I should add that he'll be 4 months old this weekend.

Advertisement

Last edited by apboyles; 01-05-2011 at 05:19 AM. Reason: punctuation
apboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
doesfamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I think I have a latch problem.

You definitely have a forceful letdown issue. The clicking sound is him trying to cut off the milk spray that's coming into his mouth like a mini firehose. I have been dealing with this also! Definitely see an LC and find out what she has to say. I have to nurse my son "uphill" because the milk comes out so forcefully for him. Hope this helps!
doesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Could he possibly be tongue tied? It is sometimes hard to tell, but it can casue a clicking during nursing.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...n-nursing.html
Old 01-06-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
javajen
Registered Users
seller

Definitely see an LC if you can. They will be able to watch a nursing and identify any issues.

If you do have a forceful let down, you can try to hand express some out first to get past the initial "rush".

Also, make sure your baby opens really wide, like a yawn, before getting on. That will make the latch deeper and may decrease the clicking.
javajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
julieray
Registered Users
seller

I agree on the forcefull LD. If its the suck suck cuh sound thats him swallowing. But popping on and off could be LD or possibly him reacting to something you ate. When my son had this pattern it was because of LD and too much foremilk because I wouldn't drain each side correctly. Does he also exhibit different BMs?
julieray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'll just say if he isn't haveing any other problems other than the noise I wouldn't worry about it. Also as long as it isn't hurting. Four months is a distractibility age so I think its common for them to pop on and off. I say this b/c this is how my son has always nursed. It did hurt me for about 2 months, but not terribly. He always clicked and clucked. He still pops on an off, but he is a very healthy 19lb 8 month old!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakewright View Post
Could he possibly be tongue tied? It is sometimes hard to tell, but it can casue a clicking during nursing.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...n-nursing.html
Agreed. Tongue-tie can cause babies to become fatigued during feedings, which can attribute to the pulling on and off. The clicking is him breaking suction. If his tongue is restricted he is likely unable to hold suction for long. I'd suggested contacting an IBCLC who has *experience* with tongue-tie, because this is a condition that is frequently under-diagnosed by doctors.
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
apboyles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks guys! I'll head in Monday to see the LC (we only have one here that I can see but she's been one forever).
Old 01-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
kgmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DD was a clicker --it's much better now at 5 months, but when she was younger she would click all the time while she nursed. I thought she must have a latch problem, but it wasn't hurting me and I could tell she was getting plenty of milk. I finally just stopped worrying about it, since it didn't seem to be causing problems. Eventually she outgrew it --maybe as she got bigger she was better able to handle the milk flow?
Old 01-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #10
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:

Both of my girls have done this as small babies, and then quit around 4-5 months. For me it's because I have oversupply and forceful letdown that seems to get better around that time, or maybe they just get bigger and better able to handle it!

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote