Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

with 3 years of cding under my belt, i still need wash routine help...

So I'm going to consolidate all of my issues here and see if anyone can help me figure out a new wash routine.

I have 2 in diapers full time, and one more at nighttime.

Ds2 gets rashes that are unrelated to diapers, but I'd like to be cautious all the same.

I just recently had a problem with torn apart holey dipes that i believe may be a mold issue...it not obvious on dipes, but we've had mold in the apartment before...so we'll be switching to washing every night.

We are using tide f&c but would like to switch now that our supply has run out.

I believe we have hard water according to our township...tried making our own and soap nuts...both didn't work. Tides done the best so far, but hate petrochemicals.

We have to use more soap to keep stink away, not less. No buildup problems.

We have to pay for laundry, so cannot alter cycles, soak diapers, add rinses, etc. We also cannot afford two washes in order to rinse dipes. So we cannot use something that requires a bunch of rinsing.

Our dryer is a piece of crap and always leaves diapers damp...but we have had mold issues in our apartment and do not want to hang to dry in here (not to mention we have no space). We also cannot afford two dry cycles each time, so we've been leaving them damp need ideas here...

We are trying to decide whether to use a hanging wetbag left open in our bathroom, or a if plastic hamper with holes would be better for us.

Also trying to decide if we should spray all diapers since we cant presoak or rinse...or if we shouldnt because of the mold issue.

I need help!

Advertisement

Last edited by harmoni247; 01-05-2011 at 11:15 AM.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
threekstrio
Registered Users
seller

Re: with 3 years of cding under my belt, i still need wash routine help...

Is there any chance that you could get an apartment sized washer/dryer? And then you could tweek everything as needed? Also, I'd suggest not using Tide F&C but regular old Tide is wonderful for diapers in our experience!
HTH!
threekstrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here's what I think...but hey, I'm no expert! I'm still trying to figure it all out too.

We have to pay for laundry, so cannot alter cycles, soak diapers, add rinses, etc. We also cannot afford two washes in order to rinse dipes. So we cannot use something that requires a bunch of rinsing. We have coin op as well and I just do one cycle because, well, I'm cheap. It does not get my dipes clean. I get them cleaner handwashing in the tub. I have some pee smell issues and I think it's because they just aren't clean enough and I've been lazy and used the washers. are you thinking of changing your stash? flats will be the easiest to clean.

Our dryer is a piece of crap and always leaves diapers damp...but we have had mold issues in our apartment and do not want to hang to dry in here (not to mention we have no space). We also cannot afford two dry cycles each time, so we've been leaving them damp need ideas here... can you do once in the dryer and then hang on some drying racks? they don;t take up much room

Also trying to decide if we should spray all diapers since we cant presoak or rinse...or if we shouldnt because of the mold issue. I find rinsing each dipe does help keep the smell away. if you have an open wetbag or pail, and wash often, will mold still build up that quickly?

last night I soaked my pee stink diapers in hot water and baking soda and then rinsed on hot a few times (all in the tub-our coin washer does not get as hot for some reason) and they smell MUCH better. I think I'm going to tweak my wash routine to hot rinse, hot wash with detergent and either baking or washing soda, not sure yet and then hot rinse to make sure it's clean. Have you tried adding a little bleach or oxyclean to kill bacteria?

Last edited by corinne76; 01-05-2011 at 12:55 PM.
corinne76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here are my thoughts:

1 -- if Tide FC is working for you, why switch? I use it (and Tide original) and I love it; I would rather use a diaper detergent that's effective and use a more eco-friendly detergent on the rest of the clothes...it's a compromise!

2 -- if you have to replace some diapers, get flats! They will dry in a jiffy Most of our diapers are breathable pockets or pocket fitteds, and my favorite thing to stuff them w/are flats! I have flannel receiving blanket flats, some HempBabies flats, and a bunch of me-made bamboo fleece flats (I don't recommend bamboo fleece for flats, but maybe bamboo flannel would be a good alternative). Fleece pockets and pocket fitteds also dry really fast...the fleece pockets hang-dry faster than when I had PUL pockets to hang-dry.

3 -- I think leaving diapers damp will definitely contribute to a mold problem (especially if your place already has a mold problem), so if you can't dry them completely in the dryer then you should hang them up to finish drying before you put them away...putting away damp diapers could definitely cause mold/mildew/odor problems

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
threekstrio
Registered Users
seller

oh, and maybe you could post what kind of diapers you have that you're having trouble with. I must agree with the idea of flats. They clean super easily and dry really quickly. Also they would fit multiple sized children. I got some of the organic flats from GMD and they are dreamy soft and SUPER absorbent!
threekstrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

We do have flats, but we need something easier for dh and I just find the fit to be much better with pfs. I've had flats with two kids now, tried diff. folds, and while i love them for young babies...past 6 mos, they really become our backup. I am considering not getting more prefolds. Just haven't made up my mind yet. those definitely take the longest to dry, but we'll have to have more fitted (thinkingmeos will dry quickly) and/or pockets for dh and those cost more a lot more than pfs.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

ooh, and even I won't use flats on ods...I've tried spraying his poop off flats before, not going there again...and he poos about every other diaper....I know hell end up in sposies
Old 01-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Can you get some pocket fitteds? I guess they are more work b/c you have to stuff, but that is practically all I use and I think they're easier to put on and they will wash better/dry faster.

Last edited by boysniris; 01-05-2011 at 02:21 PM.
boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I've never tried pocket fitted before...I don't mind stuffing. But are they expensive? I know meos can get real cheap on fsot and still gets great reviews...we definitely need fairly cheap.

And I'm checking out using an indoor laundry line by our front windows...we had a rack for summer time, amd when I say we have no room...I include those...we have I believe a 750ish sq ft. apartment for our family of five but I found these on amazon, and it might work for us ...save our floor space its still bringing more dampness into the house though...but keeping it away from our bedroom, where the mold problem was before
Old 01-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #10
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by threekstrio View Post
Is there any chance that you could get an apartment sized washer/dryer? And then you could tweek everything as needed? Also, I'd suggest not using Tide F&C but regular old Tide is wonderful for diapers in our experience!
HTH!
If we had any space that would be amazing! I can't wait to move for this reason, but our rent is just too good. I'd really like to try a more natural detergent. If it doesnt work out, o may go back...but I just cant pay money to that company if another option exists. Or any company that uses petrochemicals for that matter. It's worth a shot. I didn't pay for the tide we had, so I used it up...but were very anal about what companies get our money.