Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
taikkw5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thumbs down Washed in Tide... dipes now stink :(

So I was using Rockin' Green Hard Rock and it was working decently well I guess, but I still didn't feel like it was getting the dipes clean enough. I have still been having a lot of issues with ammonia in my 2-year-old DD's dipes, but have had no issues with my 6-mo-old's dipes. After reading a bunch and seeing how much people love Tide for hard water, I decided to try it. I really want to be able to get the ammonia out of my DD's dipes. So this is what I did:

Cold rinse w/ a tiny bit of vinegar
Hot wash w/ rinse w/ scoop a bit under the 1 mark of Tide clean breeze (original makes me gag) and about a scoop of Oxiclean
Short hot wash w/ rinse

I just took them out of the dryer and they stink like pee. I am sooo upset. Did I do something wrong? Do they just need to be washed a few times in Tide? I don't have the money or the time to be trying out a bunch of different detergents and stripping, etc.

Oh and I use: mostly flats, a few sbish fitteds and a few BG's for DS and mostly prefolds and a few BG's for DD.

Pleae help!

Advertisement

WAHM behind Something Sweet Knits YYMN spots available!
Find me on Facebook! Something Sweet Knits
taikkw5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #2
KnittinMomOf4
Registered Users
seller

Re: Washed in Tide... dipes now stink :(

I would use more tide. I believe in using more detergent to get them clean because that's the soap and is what cleans them. Then do an extra rinse.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #3
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittinMomOf4 View Post
I would use more tide. I believe in using more detergent to get them clean because that's the soap and is what cleans them. Then do an extra rinse.
This, and do a hot rinse instead of a cold rinse. I didn't believe this, but was struggling with the stink issues too. I started running one cycle (short) with hot water. The I wash in cold water with a full scoop of tide original, then I do another rinse with cold. Stinkies are gone as are stains!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
momof2plus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with using more Tide. I really think part of the problem with stink is not using enough detergent, especially with hard water! Also, I have heard of people having problems switching between RNG and Tide. Did you strip before trying Tide? If not, you may want to do that.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
mrs_hawkins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe skip the vinegar? I was told vinegar makes stinkies worse with hard water.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
taikkw5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanasmom View Post
This, and do a hot rinse instead of a cold rinse. I didn't believe this, but was struggling with the stink issues too. I started running one cycle (short) with hot water. The I wash in cold water with a full scoop of tide original, then I do another rinse with cold. Stinkies are gone as are stains!
I can't do hot rinses with my washer. That's why I've done the cold rinse at the beginning, plus I didn't want it to set in stains, and that's also why I do another short hot wash at the end to get that extra hot 'rinse'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2plus View Post
I agree with using more Tide. I really think part of the problem with stink is not using enough detergent, especially with hard water! Also, I have heard of people having problems switching between RNG and Tide. Did you strip before trying Tide? If not, you may want to do that.
No, I didn't strip before trying the Tide. So should I do the squirt of Dawn and rinse, rinse, rinse?

Really, more Tide? More than just below the 1 line?

I just went to fold the dipes and they also have this gross feeling to them. Well, not gross I guess, just a weird, not smooth feeling to them. They smell very strongly of the Tide scent. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to handle that well. I hate strong detergent smells. I am soo frustrated now.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
agalanto
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, I know people are against Bleach (as was I) but if you just throw some bleach in with inserts and wash on hot.. I've been able to get stinks out. I don't have the time or the energy (or an efficient washer) to do all this extra work. Just my opinion. BG washing direction recommends bleaching once a month anyway so that's what I do now.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #8
Rockinmama24
Registered Users

My Mood:

They should not feel icky when using Tide. Rockin Green did a number on my dipes & I actually stopped CDing for 6 months because of it. Strip & then use the Tide. My dipes are a-ok now.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
taikkw5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agalanto View Post
Honestly, I know people are against Bleach (as was I) but if you just throw some bleach in with inserts and wash on hot.. I've been able to get stinks out. I don't have the time or the energy (or an efficient washer) to do all this extra work. Just my opinion. BG washing direction recommends bleaching once a month anyway so that's what I do now.
My kids are quite sensitive to bleach. The ammonia is also in her prefolds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDFORME101 View Post
They should not feel icky when using Tide. Rockin Green did a number on my dipes & I actually stopped CDing for 6 months because of it. Strip & then use the Tide. My dipes are a-ok now.
I will try stripping. Like I asked above, do the squirt of blue dawn and then a bunch of rinses? Or would just a bunch of hot washes work? Thanks!

Old 01-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #10
julieray
Registered Users
seller

That seems like alot of processing for stink? If you have access to hot water in your kitchen sink or tub. I would soak them in that with a squirt of dawn..and keep rinsing them in hot water til the suds go away, and then try washing with your soap of choice.

The scented tide however, may still be a culprit in residue. More soap = more water rinsing, lots of water. Thats why RG is great when it comes to rinsing out. Also, your water may not be that hard to use the Hard Rock version of RG. I use classic rock here in South Texas and do 3 scoop washes. In my GE He, I do 2 rinse and spins with no spin and extra rinse(all cold) then I start up a hot wash.

So water HAS to be your friend in this one or else you have nothing but residue.

The process you are using with vinegar, oxyclean and all that is actually a way to void your diaper warranty.
julieray is offline   Reply With Quote