Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #11
SoniaAndreia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Washed in Tide... dipes now stink :(

i suggest stripping too. ive used tide (free and gentle powder - has no scent, maybe try that?) for months and never had a problem. i do a cold rinse, hot/cold long wash, then extra cold rinse. i use to the 1 line of detergent and fill the washer drum up to the highest level. dipes need a lot of water to really get clean. i absolutely love tide. i've heard so many horror stories of people using detergents specifically designed for cloth diapers. i just dont understand; if they are supposed to be the "best," why do they have so many problems??

Advertisement

SoniaAndreia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:01 AM   #12
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Rockin Green and Tide do not mix well at all. So if you were using RnG and then tried Tide that alone can be a source of serious ammonia issues. I've seen it plenty of times and it happened to me personally when I tried RnG after using Tide for a long time. There was a thread about the two not mixing well a while back started by Bethany89.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #13
taikkw5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoniaAndreia View Post
i suggest stripping too. ive used tide (free and gentle powder - has no scent, maybe try that?) for months and never had a problem. i do a cold rinse, hot/cold long wash, then extra cold rinse. i use to the 1 line of detergent and fill the washer drum up to the highest level. dipes need a lot of water to really get clean. i absolutely love tide. i've heard so many horror stories of people using detergents specifically designed for cloth diapers. i just dont understand; if they are supposed to be the "best," why do they have so many problems??
I'll have to try the Tide Free and Clear. When I went to the store they were out of most of the detergents, so this is the one I grabbed. We have a top loader and I put it on the super large setting, which is the most water that can go in the washer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
Rockin Green and Tide do not mix well at all. So if you were using RnG and then tried Tide that alone can be a source of serious ammonia issues. I've seen it plenty of times and it happened to me personally when I tried RnG after using Tide for a long time. There was a thread about the two not mixing well a while back started by Bethany89.
Do you like Tide now? I thought I saw you as one that loves Tide. Do you know the name of the thread?

WAHM behind Something Sweet Knits YYMN spots available!
Find me on Facebook! Something Sweet Knits
taikkw5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #14
Amock777
Registered Users
seller

Yeah switching between the 2 is horrible. I had stinkies for a few times when I switched back to tide. Lots of hot washes and keep washing in Tide for best results.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #15
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi Hilary! lol Yeah my buyer mixed my Tide with her RNG and it wasn't pretty! I did the same thing, but mixed my RNG with Tide lol bad turnout. I did a dawn strip.. with a lot of hot rinses when it happened to me. I also used a capful of bleach on my prefolds. Even if your kids are sensitive, a few extra rinses should get it all out and be fine. I would use a bit more Tide after stripping. How big are your loads? If I fill up a washer with diapers, I use between the 1-2, closer to the 2. Since you have hard water, more detergent is your friend.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #16
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here is the thread:
http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show...highlight=tide
Old 01-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #17
VitaW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I couldn't stand the Tide smell either and switched to Gain. I have an HE and Tide HE only comes in original scent in the powder. Hard water is a bugger to wash in. It grey's everything out and it's just plain hard to wash in. Make sure after you switch that you try a water softener. That helps immensely.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #18
taikkw5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for all of your suggestions, mamas! I will try doing a Dawn strip once I get some from town today and then continue on with the Tide and hopefully it'll keep the stinkies and ammonia at bay.

WAHM behind Something Sweet Knits YYMN spots available!
Find me on Facebook! Something Sweet Knits
taikkw5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:34 AM   #19
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taikkw5 View Post
Thank you for all of your suggestions, mamas! I will try doing a Dawn strip once I get some from town today and then continue on with the Tide and hopefully it'll keep the stinkies and ammonia at bay.
Everything should be fine! as I said, if it gets worse, try bleach. It kills the smell very fast
Old 01-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #20
solnishka7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i agree w bleaching the inserts that u have(bleach them in the tub or sink) them wash them as u normally would....as far as prefolds and fitteds id use more detergent and do an extra rinse