Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
Rae0
Registered Users
seller

Wool or fleece covers for newborn?

I love wool and have never used fleece covers. When my daughter was a NB, I only used PUL covers b/c I didn't know about fleece or wool. Now that i know, I'm wondering which is better for newborns? (It would be used over fitteds)
I can't imagine having time for hand washing/lanolizing with a newborn in the house, but is fleece really as good and as breathable? Is it hard to get a fleece soaker onto a newborn? Thanks!

Advertisement

Rae0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
agalanto
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Wool or fleece covers for newborn?

I almost exclusively used fleece soakers for my NB over the summer. I LOVED them. I am also a new lover of wool (however months later) so I can't compare for NBs but what I loved about fleece is that they're cheap and I'd literally just throw them in my hamper with all the other clothing and wash them normally. SO you figure, you can have/make/buy a huge stash of them and wash normally or if you go with wool; you only have to lanolize every so often (maybe once a month, depending on usage) so it's not like it's a huge amount of extra work

I would try both. See what you like best. I did both and love both.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Personally I haven't used fleece on a nb. I did have a wool Nikky wrap that fit DS from about 2-6 months old and I liked it. Now that I've tried (and loved) fleece, I think it would be perfectly fine for a nb. I think I'd go for fleece wraps and fleece soakers...but I would hate to have to pull down a soaker after a blowout Fleece is easy-wash and quick-dry, both important in a nb stash (especially if you are trying to scrape by w/a smaller stash since it will probably be outgrown quickly).

ETA -- I think fleece breathes really well. My DS gets rashy from PUL but does great in fleece or wool; fleece is for summer playtime

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
kkweight
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think for a newborn fleece would be a better option. Your changing them so much more, they tend to have more poop explosions (it'll be easier to wash it out of fleece), and in my experience they offer just as much breath ability as wool does. Quite honestly though, i think for ease on you fleece would be the best option, wool is easy to care for, but, it does take some practice and throwing in a newborns care with that might get overwhelming.
kkweight is offline   Reply With Quote