Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
LovelyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do you go out with your prefolds?

I just got back into the cloth diapering... we had a nasty run in with yeast and I needed to wait until my LO body regulated it before we clothed or we ran into rashes.
Now that I'm back into cloth full time I have gone back to prefolds. I love my prefolds don't get me wrong, but I find myself reaching for a few pampers when it's time to go out. I like that I can use a regualr purse and fit two and a wipes case and be fine. When I bring prefolds I have to pack a larger bag not to mention all the other things such as extra snappis, wet bag, doublers, liners and covers.

Just wondering how many other mamas use prefolds out and about? How do you pack? I would get a few bg's or something but I'm tired of spedning money on diapers! I cloth to save not to spend. When this last box of diapers is gone, I don't want to buy another so eventually I'll have to go abck to the old days of cloth 24/7 lol .

Advertisement

I'm swaggin now!! Come join me
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Niknak22
LovelyMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you go out with your prefolds?

I would like to know this too. I have often considered selling off my pockets but I wonder how much more difficult it is to change a pf in public.

Maybe you can just get a few AIO or pockets (and stuff with your pfs or flats) for outings? It would save you in the long run as opposed to having to continue to buy Pampers right?
Old 01-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Parker's_Mommy1116
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've tried PFs out and about and it's do able I just don't like it. It's kinda a pain, I also need something stay dry just in case I can't change him right away. I would suggest ragababes AIOs!!! They have a bamboo soaker sewn in that absorbs a ton and drys lightning fast!!!!!! It also has a stay dry sued cloth liner so baby stays dry!! They're a little pricey but IMO worth the extra money!!! http://www.shop.ragababe.com/Print-E...In-Ones_c3.htm
Parker's_Mommy1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
agalanto
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used PFs out and about. What I did was bring a large diaper bag with me with everything I needed and just changed my DS as frequently as I could. For example, I got to the mall, I'd change DS at the car, throw 1 extra PF, cover, set of pins, wipes, and whatever in a small wet bag and throw that wet bag in my medium sized hand bag. It was basically a "just in case" stash. This works if you know you're just going to be a certain amount of time.

When we'd go to family outings and picnic and stuff, where I didn't know how long it would be for me to change him. I'd do the same thing. I'd just run to my car to get more supplies as I needed. Some people think it's a hassle; restocking everytime you're in the car but I didn't mind it. I was there anyway carting the kids around. So it's like I had a whole cloth diapering station in my passenger seat(or back seat, or trunk).
Old 01-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
mfergy0625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do! I just bring a few trifolded prefolds and a cover or 2 in my diaper bag and use that while we are out (kind of like an AI2 system). Works great for us! Sometimes I put a fleece liner on my DS with his prefold before we leave the house just in case I might not be able to change him every 2 hours like I do at home. Also, since I usually can just change the prefold and not the cover, I don't need to bring a huge wet bag with me either.

Example: For Christmas with DH's fam this year (noon to about 10pm) I brought a dozen prefolds, 4 covers and a medium wet bag with 2 fleece liners. Worked great with no issues! I had plenty of prefolds to spare actually, which I used as changing pads
Old 01-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
fallaway
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I haven't, because I don't want to change that often when out. I put DD in a BGE and we're good for even a few hours, if it's difficult to find a good place to change her.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
booth2490
Registered Users
seller

I don't carry a diaper bag into stores anymore, just keep it in the car. For those times when I want to carry along an extra diaper, I put a few prefolds, extra cover and wetbag into whatever bag I carry. Yes, it's a hassle, but it doesn't happen very often for me.
booth2490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
Fitter
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We used all pf's on G for a long time, here, there and everywhere. I don't think it is a hassle, at least not to me anyway. We always used cloth so I always had a pretty big diaper bag.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
millermyer2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pack a couple prefolds and covers in the diaper bag for my two boys! The rest i just leave in the car! When we need more we just repack the diaper bag!
millermyer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
ed_tricia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do! I've noticed it takes up more space now that she's in smalls instead of newborn, but I take 2 prefolds, 2 washcloth wipes, 1 extra cover, and a small wetbag. That's enough for going to church or grocery shopping or whatever. If I'm going somewhere for more than a few hours, I will have another cover and 1 or 2 pfs/wipes in the car.
I don't snappi now, but I used to and would just reuse the one that was on her or throw 1 extra in the bag. I don't use doublers and she does fine if I change her every couple hours. We also don't use liners yet b/c she's EBF. When she's older I probably will, but I would just toss in a couple.
I have a fairly small diaper bag. It's about 6"x12"x10" with a shoulder strap and 2 water bottle pockets. I don't carry a separate purse, so it has my water bottle, my DD1s sippy, my wallet, brush, lipstick/chapstick, checkbook, snack, phone, keys, & the diaper stuff. When I pack, there's a little zipper pocket on front for my small junk, the drinks go on the sides, and then inside I have two internal water bottle pockets, that's where my snack and brush go. The main part I visually divide and one side is my wallet and my junk, the other half is a folded outfit (usually a one piece jammies thing), then on top is 1 pf trifolded, wipe laid in the middle, then folded in half to fit, then on top is a ready to go diaper. That's a cover, a trifolded pf, and a wipe, then the whole thing is folded in half. If I were using liners, I would just lay it on the pf and then put the wipe on top.
I do have some BGs and I usually prefer my pfs when going out. They seem to take up less space. I have some sposies left from DD1, but they seem so inconvenient now that I never use them. We just went on a week long trip and I took cloth and used it even while traveling.