Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
emhammer0506
Registered Users

HELP!!! Baby loosing weight...

*UPDATE*
We are at children's memorial - ended up his liver enzymes are elevated...
So far - we don't know why!!

Ok - my boy was born on 12/7 - and weighed 7lbs 14 oz.
He is now down to 6lb 3.5oz.
I nurse about every 2 hours or even less.. Basically whenever he wants it.
His routine has been like this - he'll wake up in the am - I'll feed him from one breast - he'll fall asleep for about 10/15min. and then I'll feed him from the other breast. He'll fall asleep - for an hour or 2. He'll wake up and we repeat.. I will offer him a bottle of ebm - but he only drinks about 2 to 3 oz. of that a day..

Background: I have PCOS - and had low milk supply with DD. I'm taking LactationBlend - and I actually feel FULL with him. Even after he is done eating, I still fill full and will hand express a little bit (1/2 oz total from both breasts).

Is there anything else I can do? Or is there anything else that could be wrong with him?

Thanx..

Advertisement

Evelyn - Wife to the best hubby (05/06/05).., Mommy to H (8/4/08) with SPD - sensory seeker and S(12/7/10) with SPD - tactile defensive & possibly sensory seeker! We are a , donated breastmilk , , non-vaxing:, ing, non-circ family!!!

Last edited by emhammer0506; 01-13-2011 at 11:31 AM.
emhammer0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP!!! Baby loosing weight...

I would call a LC tomorrow and get in to she her, she will have a scale and you can weigh before and after a feed to see just how much baby is getting.

In the mean time I would try single side nursing, when baby falls alseep and you wake him up feed himonthe same side again so he is getting more of the hindmilk, with all the good fats.

YOu can also pump after you nurse and get more, wait until it serapates in the fridge and just feed him the cream off the top, as that is more fats.

Make sure baby is eating 12 times a day, for now, so set an alarm at night until you can see a Liscense Lactation consultant.

Her is a number of a LLL in your area. She should be able to help you find someone.
Joliet, IL
Tara, La Leche League
(815) 467-7323
Old 01-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is some very concerning weight loss! Please, please see an IBCLC or your pedi tomorrow. I'm so sorry breastfeeding isn't going well for you. I hope you get some good help and get things turned around quick.
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Could your baby be tongue tied?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Did he lose weight initially and regain any at all?

I'll be a little more helpful tomorrow when I'm not on mmy phone but there is some info now about how iv fluids given to mom during labor can artifically increase the birth weight of a child making their weight loss look more extreme post-birth.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yes, initially that ^^ is true but your baby is almost a month old and should be up past his birth weight by now, you need to get some help for him.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #7
Colleen+1
Registered Users
seller

I feel your pain....I feel like I could have written this myself! DS was born 7.7 and 6.13 at 4 days old. I would feed him he would fall asleep and then want to eat again, eat for 5-10 minutes, sometimes less and fall back asleep. I thought maybe he just wanted the comfort.

At 3 wks he was up to his birth weight, and 8.9 in early Nov. At his 2 mo appt. He was 8. My doctor scared me to death the way she was talking. Weight loss is def. a concern, but she had me in tears! He weighs just over 11 now

Anyways, I ended up ep'ing. By the time weighed feeding was mentioned, I was used to pumping. I agree, with the pp about the LC, and feeding off of 1 side. A plus of ep'ing is knowing what Lo' are eating, esp. when weight loss is a concern.

We set an alarm so he doesn't go too long w/o eating. I did try to go back to bf'ing him, but he was not happy w/ it. Ds would fuss on the breast, but he is a very gassy baby so I thought that was why, does your LO do that? Looking back, I don't think he ever had a good latch, and wasn't getting enough. From what I understand you should not feel full after he eats. Maybe that is his problem?

A LC gave me this to read
http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/When%20Latching.asp

Good Luck!
DS #1, Gavin, 9/23/10. LO #2 Edd 11/05/12! Married to my awesome dh Nathien since 10/14/06. We kicked infertility butt!

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mrsthomas1014
Colleen+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakewright View Post
yes, initially that ^^ is true but your baby is almost a month old and should be up past his birth weight by now, you need to get some help for him.
I was hoping that the baby had lost and was just slowly gaining back. I know that it took my son about 3 weeks to get back to his birth weight and I only had 1-2 bags of fluid during my labor. If she got a lot more his birth weight might have been even more unnaturally high.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
Oakleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: t***om
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would try breast compressions.
Oakleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #10
emhammer0506
Registered Users

THanx guys..
He is actually up to 6lbs 15.5oz now.. (YAY)..

He eats great - he is not a big sleeper - hence why I feel he is getting enough - he will sleep for like 2 hours wake up - eat, and then he'll actually be awake/alert (not fussy) for a bit, before he goes back to sleep...

I was in labor for 18 hours - and I was in the hospital for 9 hours before I delivered. I was also gbs positive with him - so, I had 3 doses of antibiotics.. (hence, why I was at the hospital so early).. My girl went quick... So, we wanted to make sure I got there in time to get some antibiotics to make sure he would be ok..

I've started to pump and hand express after he eats - and I give him that when he'll take it... I offer him the bottle with ebm after each feeding - but he doesn't usually want it.. He'll basically take about 3oz each day of ebm...

We have an appointment on monday - but 2 wks ago - our ped wasn't too concerned since, he had no symptoms of dehydration, had plenty of wet dipes (yellow - not orange), had a poopy usually every day - sometimes he misses a day...

I'm just a major worry-wort.. We went through a lot with our girl - she was in heart failure at 5m old, and had open-heart surgery at 7m old..

Thank you again..

Evelyn
Evelyn - Wife to the best hubby (05/06/05).., Mommy to H (8/4/08) with SPD - sensory seeker and S(12/7/10) with SPD - tactile defensive & possibly sensory seeker! We are a , donated breastmilk , , non-vaxing:, ing, non-circ family!!!
emhammer0506 is offline   Reply With Quote