Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
annaboo728
Registered Users

Exclusively BFing, spotting 6 wks PP?

I'm exclusively BF'ing (after an extremely rough start-yay me!!) my 6 week old DD. I had some bright red spotting for 2 days last week (only enough for a pantyliner), it went away and now it's back today. Is this af? My OB said the 1st few cycles might be irregular so I don't know whether this is my period or not.

I was hoping to avoid going back on BC for a while. My OB is pushing Mirena but I'm not sure and was sort of hoping we could coast BC-free for a little while due to BFing.

I figured when AF came back, I'd choose btwn Mirena and the mini-pill. So is what I'm having AF or not?

Advertisement

annaboo728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

Re: Exclusively BFing, spotting 6 wks PP?

Maybe a more experienced momma can chime in here.. but IMO I don't think it's AF. After my DD was born I bled for 1 week, spotted for 3 more and then I had maybe 3 more spottings over the next month. Your body is healing, and it takes time.

Just remember you ovulate before your period.. so you can catch the first egg and get pg before you ever get AF back. EBF is not effective BC for everyone. So if you aren't ready for another baby, use protection.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
watchmekerfuly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Try to rest more. I had the same thing happen and I asked my midwife. She said that I hadn't been taking it slow..which is true. I was constantly getting up and down with my newborn and my preschooler. Needless to say, who cares if my house is messy? I don't want this random bleeding going on forever LOL I lay down with my baby even if I can't sleep and so far no more bleeding.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
loonyluna
Registered Users
seller

The same thing happened to me at 6 weeks, but then I didn't have any other bleeding until last month when my little man turned 5 months.
loonyluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

No, its not AF. I'm 6+ weeks pp and still spotting on and off. I agree with the pp - it comes from overdoing it. We are still healing from the placental attachment site.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
Mom2AB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I bled for 7 days at six weeks & I was told it was probably my period!! So far I haven't gotten another one & its been a little over 5 weeks since. I did read somewhere that it is common for women to bleed a little around six weeks due to all the hormones fluctuating. I think mine was a period though because it wasn't just a little bleeding & it felt like one. We will c if i get another. I have a friend who had a period at six weeks & didn't get another one for six or seven months. My mom once got her period back right away & kept getting another each month even though she exclusively bf. So who knows!!!!
Mom2AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
annaboo728
Registered Users

Okay ladies, thanks! Now if I could just settle on a contraceptive method.
annaboo728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
mom-of-QTs
Registered Users
seller

If you are just spotting I wouldn't say it is AF just yet. I would wait to see if you start bleeding again in about another 28 days or so. If you get on a regular schedule, THEN I would say it was AF.

Me, I've exclusively breastfed our three children for well over a year and with all three my pp bleeding was 4wks, I had 2wks off, then I started AF with my normal heavy 6 day bleeding. My bleedings were always fairly on schedule, starting that 6th wk, and were the heavy bleeding for 6 days that needed a pad.

Last edited by mom-of-QTs; 10-20-2011 at 10:24 AM.
mom-of-QTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I get AF back ASAP with each baby, even though I breastfeed exclusively. I got PG 6 months PP with DS3 thinking no way could I need BC...LOL! Wrong.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That doesn't sound like AF. It is probably still your PP bleeding. As another poster suggested, take it easy. Drink plenty of fluids and nourishing food. Your body still needs it!

FWIW: I was spotty with my last baby. I stopped bleeding at 4 weeks, but started up again for a few more days at 6 wks. I EBF all our kids (and co-slept, nursing on demand) and AF came back at around 5 months PP.
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er

Last edited by flobee76; 10-20-2011 at 11:14 AM.
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote