Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
zookeeper8
Registered Users
seller

Green poop & elimination diet

My 2-month old EBF DD has had green poop for the past 2 weeks. She doesn't seem overly fussy, no vomiting, nothing. Just a regular (actually pretty laid back) baby whose poop is green.

This is our 3rd EBF child, so we've seen the gamut of poop colors, but my DH was disconcerted by the color so I looked into it. Apparently, the top causes of green poop are too much foremilk/not enough hind milk and dairy allergies. I tried block feeding for the former and nothing changed. Then I tried cutting dairy from my diet. I'm on day 7 and still no change.

So while I know it can take 2-3 weeks for casein to leave my body, I'm wondering if I should have seen at least an improvement in the poop color by now if dairy truly is the culprit? I'm already a lacto-vegetarian, so cutting out dairy essentially transforms me into a vegan (and I reallllly miss pizza!). Should I keep avoiding dairy for another week?

Finally, DD had her 2 month check up yesterday, and after explaining the situation her pediatrician wasn't concerned at all. DD is definitely gaining weight so something is going right with the milk. Maybe DD will just have green poop for a while???

Advertisement

zookeeper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

Re: Green poop & elimination diet

How soon after she poops are you changing the diapers? I've noticed that if poop sits, it gets greener (dipes in my wash bin are almost always greenish when I KNOW thew were orange coming off the baby).
aaiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
zookeeper8
Registered Users
seller

It varies, of course, but sometimes almost right away these days since (this sounds so weird) I'm eager to see what the color is, if there's been any improvement, KWIM?
Old 01-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
laura_mae99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i have to much foremilk.. as i have an over supply. Block feeding doesn't work for me. We still had green poops. I have to pump before each feeding for awhile... it worked great with in the first day her poops changed. For some reason blocked feeding wasn't working for us...
Old 01-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
zookeeper8
Registered Users
seller

Well, I can certainly try pumping first. How long did you have to continue pumping before nursing? Did your BM eventually change such that you could return to regular nursing while the stool didn't return to its previously green color?
Old 01-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
brewanothercup
Registered Users

My Mood:

DS went through a period of exclusively green poop. While I have come to learn he's sensitive to soy (green MUCOUSY poop), I think his standard green poo was just that - standard and not the cause of anything. He doesn't have green poo anymore, though he is sensitive to dairy. So, perhaps just a stage?
brewanothercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree try pumping off a bit, and then letting her nurse, maybejust til the let down stops pouring, .5 oz to an oz.

Otherwise, do you eat a ton of green foods,like spinach...that can turn babies poop green.

If it isn't moucusy and she isn't fussy, it doesn't sounds like a food allergy, especially since you said it just started, and usually babies with food sensativities show that pretty quickly.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
laura_mae99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my over supply is major!!! I can pump out 10oz a pump... so my pump out of foremilk would be like 4oz or so... mybe try and pump out and see how much u get out... then cut it in half... So say u pump out 5oz at a time... only pump out 3 or even 2 and half... then your cutt the foremilk off!!! I hope that helps honey!!!! and if u wanted to save the foremilk... U can pump after baby eats and mix it with the foremilk to make an even read to go meal... LOL I pumped after baby eat as well, and it helped me pull up my hindmilk! But keep in mind i am not the normaly mommy i get between 20-30oz out a day extra... and tahts after feeding my baby girl. So thats why i donate... ((Hugs))
Old 01-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
zookeeper8
Registered Users
seller

Wow, that is a lot of extra milk! (And how awesome of you for donating

And good point, Christy, that the fact that the reaction did just start despite my consuming dairy the whole 2 months is a strike against an allergy. I hadn't thought about that. And yes, I do eat leafy greens and put spinach in our regular bread, but it's not a huge amount or anything.

It sounds like pumping for a little bit first might be the way to go since a few of you mommies suggested it. Thanks again!
Old 01-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
tiger*baby
Registered Users
seller

This is probably not it, but I noticed that when my doctor had me on an iron supplement, he had green poops. But once I stopped it, they went back to normal.

Other than that, I agree with the other ladies' foremilk suggestions. I have to pump off about 4oz in the morning (a full pump would yield about 10), otherwise the green poops show up again.

Good luck mama!!
tiger*baby is offline   Reply With Quote