Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
JLea
Registered Users
seller

Re: Green poop & elimination diet

I just thought I would add that my DS gets green poop occasionally and I've still yet to find the cause. I've changed nothing drastic in my diet and I'm doubtful that it is too much foremilk...I don't produce any excess milk! Sometimes its just green...we went through about 2 weeks of green poop at one point. Now it just comes and goes and doesn't seem to affect him in the least. He's gaining good (perhaps better than good ). If you are truly concerned and can't figure it out maybe ask your pediatrician? My friend asked hers and they told her it was most likely something in her diet causing the green poo. I thought at one point that cereals with the food dyes in them was the culprit, but I can't be sure as it doesn't always coincide. Btw, we've also seen plenty of colors of poop with our LO, too! Good luck!

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #12
BattleBuddies
Registered Users
Formerly: ArmyWife1118
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLea View Post
I just thought I would add that my DS gets green poop occasionally and I've still yet to find the cause. I've changed nothing drastic in my diet and I'm doubtful that it is too much foremilk...I don't produce any excess milk! Sometimes its just green...we went through about 2 weeks of green poop at one point. Now it just comes and goes and doesn't seem to affect him in the least. He's gaining good (perhaps better than good ). If you are truly concerned and can't figure it out maybe ask your pediatrician? My friend asked hers and they told her it was most likely something in her diet causing the green poo. I thought at one point that cereals with the food dyes in them was the culprit, but I can't be sure as it doesn't always coincide. Btw, we've also seen plenty of colors of poop with our LO, too! Good luck!
This is us right now too. yDS has green poop all of a sudden, but no other symptoms, and I do NOT have any excessive amount of milk. He just started this at 7 weeks, and I am a picky eater, so most of my diet is and always has been dairy packed. I think he would have reacted sooner if it was a dairy problem. I have no clue what it could be, and he hasn't had any doctor visits yet, so I don't have a clue how much weight he has gained, but his clothes are geting tighter on him, so I know he's growing.

BattleBuddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #13
sunyflwr
Registered Users
seller

Pumping off some milk before breastfeeding is a quick fix to the oversupply issue, but it tells your body it needs to produce more milk and will make the oversupply issue worse in the long run. I would suggest focusing on feeding your LO from one breast and MAKE SURE the breast is empty before offering the other side. This would mean using breast compressions to help empty the breast of the hind milk. Your DD might be used to an overactive letdown and having the milk basically spray into her mouth and then not realize she needs to really suckle for the hind milk. Just a thought.

If your DD's green poop is from too much foremilk, you are definitely blessed your DD isn't colicky! I dealt with oversupply and overactive letdown with my DD, and boy, did she ever have an unhappy, gassy tummy!! I know you don't have a colic issue, but this webpage still hits on some points that might be helpful to you in regards to regulating your supply: http://nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_...tion&Itemid=17

HTH!
sunyflwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #14
BattleBuddies
Registered Users
Formerly: ArmyWife1118
seller
seller

I have been doing block feeding ever since the green poop showed up, but it hasnt made a difference. I even let him nurse off the same side all night, and then the other side for the first couple of nursings in the morning, and he still had green poop!
So, I talked to my most trusted BF resource about it, and she said that when BFing her children, she saw a rainbow of colors from white to red, to green, to yellow. She said that because breastmilk changes from month to month depending on what your individual child needs, the poop also can change from month to month, and still be "normal". As long as the baby is growing, and not showing any signs of discomfort, and is developing normally, she says, just try not to worry about it. HTH. It sure made me feel better.

BattleBuddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #15
genieinabottle
Registered Users
seller

I had oversupply with my first, so I thought his green poop was due to that too. I even tried to elimate things. In the end, it just passed as a phase. iF the baby doesn't seem to be bothered by anything, it's probably just normal for him.
genieinabottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #16
zookeeper8
Registered Users
seller

I'm really leaning towards this being just a phase. I've tried the block feeding, then the pumping first, and eliminating dairy. No change. But she's gaining weight just fine and there's no fussiness, so before I just accept the poop I'm trying eliminating peanuts and other tree nuts (I'm on day 3 now). Thanks again!
zookeeper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #17
SupernovaLA
Registered Users
seller

yeah, stay off the dairy. It is the most common culprit and can stay in his system for a really long time. I was off dairy for 2 months and was still having mucus in the dipe (although was not green anymore) We were skeptical that it was dairy and then I ate a tiny bit of dairy and it got really bad really fast. The other thing is that babies who are reactive to dairy are often reactive to soy as well... and soy lecithin is in EVERYTHING. (it feels like)
SupernovaLA is offline   Reply With Quote