Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2011, 07:51 AM   #11
mommyof3armywife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Who has been to Disney World in FL with a 2-2.5 yr old?

We went when Troy was 4 and Naomi was 2 it was great!
We did take Brian's Mom so that if we wanted to go on rides that the kids didn't we could and one would sit with the one that couldn't go on a ride or was napping.
I would so take her again we are planing I think maybe next year or the year after.
we had a blast and the ectra set of hands was wonderful!

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 07:59 AM   #12
sasra_nu
Registered Users
seller

I haven't (REALLY want to but we can't afford it right now), but BIL and SIL took DD's cousin when she was between 2 and 2.5. She did great and they had a BLAST. She still remembers it and asks to go back

I looked into going a few months ago (before I realized DH was going to be laid off, um, forever!) and to me, staying at one of the cheaper onsite resorts (just hotel room, not a suite) and getting a meal plan (at certain times of year this is free with room booking) looked like a good way to go. There are times of year where it is really affordable (fall after school starts, winter before spring break). For us, I think we were looking at around $2000 for 5 days or so, including airfare for 3. We live near Chicago and the cost of driving was comparable to flying. And once you're there, you don't really need a car or anything, if you stay onsite - there are shuttles everywhere!

Oh and FWIW, my DD is way more difficult at 3 than she ever was at 2 But 2/3 is such a great age because they think it's all real - the characters, the castle, everything. It makes me tear up just to think of DD seeing the princesses and Mickey one day - I hope we can make it there before she's too old and realizes the characters are just people in costumes!

(Again, I've never been, but was really looking into it and we have family members who are Disney addicts and give us the scoop)
sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #13
weaverk
Registered Users

My Mood:

my kids are 5 and 2 , and we went in feb last year and are going again in 5 weeks
they were awesome. my son still takes one nap a day, and my daughter 2, so we stayed at the fort wilderness cabins. they have a separate bedroom, so that is nice for naps and in the evenings when the kids go to bed early. my kids are early risers, so we would get up and have breakfast, be at the parks when they opened. i packed lunches for everyone (so much cheaper, and healthier) and we would stay at the park until around 1pm. We would go back to the cabin and they would nap for a couple of hours. sometimes we ate dinner there, or we would go out. there was plenty of time in the evening to head back to a park for a couple of hours, or go to the pool or playground. so much fun. my daughter would nap in the mornings at the park while i was wearing her.
HTH
kelly

Last edited by weaverk; 01-09-2011 at 08:04 AM. Reason: typos
weaverk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #14
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did Disney World 3 times last year (in Jan. with a 1 and 3 year old), in March with the same 1 and 3 year old and my 8 year old ss), and in June with the same kids (now 4 and almost 2 and 8). In June, I went by myself for most of the trip, and it was still a blast. I think Disney is a fabulous trip for a 2 year old. They can ride almost everything, but you don't have to buy a ticket!

ETA: I would either buy or rent a City Mini stroller (Orlando Stroller rentals will deliver and pick up at your hotel). We could spend hours in the parks, and the stroller was comfortable enough for long naps. The huge sunshade is fantastic.

Last edited by soonerfan; 01-09-2011 at 09:09 AM.
soonerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #15
keebz
Registered Users
seller

We went when DD was 2 years & 4 months. I've never had so much fun at Disney! If you can go when they're not busy (aka avoid the summer) and the middle of the week are supposed to be the least crowded days. We went on a Thursday. We had our stroller and had plenty of water and snacks. I think I packed a pb&j for her instead of buying her a lunch. We probably waited the longest to see the characters which was still only about 15 min. She didn't nap the entire day, but was asleep as we pulled out of the parking lot around 6:30pm. I don't remember any meltdowns.

Search around off property for a good deal on a suite. We stayed at Buena Vista suites for under $100. I wasn't impressed but it was clean and really close. I had found good rates at Fairfield Inn & Suites for this past fall but ended up having to cancel our trip.

The Disney strollers are hard plastic so I'd recommend bringing your own if you can. Your DS will be used to it and probably more comfortable. Mark your stroller so you can identify it easily. Disney cast members will move strollers around if needed. I also would leave our diapers & wipes in the stroller as we went on rides & such.

Seeing everything through her eyes was truly magical. There are plenty of bathrooms everywhere, the rides are perfect for this age, only a few you'll skip on. There are also a few free smart phone apps which will give you approx wait times for rides and also you can get maps for the park on your phone. Also, if you go to guest services you can get a first time pin for DS which will clue cast members into being even more friendly and talkative to DS than they normally are. And they truly are very friendly & helpful.
keebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #16
MySonsClothBum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks everyone! helpful info!
MySonsClothBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #17
husemoller23
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I went in April with my 3 kids (at the time) ages 6, 4, & 2. My 2yo was great, but we took it slow, and went in her direction. We rented a stroller, and she slept in there while we took in a few shows. It was off season when we went, and never had to wait in lines that long.
All the kids, even my 2yo lasted from 10 AM until 11PM when the park closed!!!! I didn't think that would happen, but it was a blast!
Old 01-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #18
MySonsClothBum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ALSO!!!! what about if you're mid-potty training? did being there make it harder?(change in routine, etc)?
MySonsClothBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #19
ktmo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySonsClothBum View Post
ALSO!!!! what about if you're mid-potty training? did being there make it harder?(change in routine, etc)?
I am a horrible mom, but I didn't attempt to potty train until after our trip (DD was almost 3 when we went). We drove from MD. I knew that the drive would be difficult, if she were out of diapers, so I just didn't try until after the trip.

We didn't do long days at the park and we didn't see the fireworks. We pretty much stuck to our normal schedule, up early, afternoon nap/rest, early dinner, early to bed. We had a blast. We stayed at All-Star Music in the family suite. It was perfect. We had the fridge for snacks/drinks and mini-meals. Plenty of room.
Katie - DD#1 - 5/05 and DD#2 - 4/07
Search and Win with swagbucks
See my Shopping Reviews
ktmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #20
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Haven't read the other responses......
We went last Feb with our four kiddos and our good friends who have three children. Their littlest was 2 1/2. We stayed in a resort with a suite (2 bedrooms, 2 bath, full kitchen, living room) and found that if we put the kids to bed late and let them get up on their own time it worked much better for us. We would actually close down most of the parks that way because we didn't get into the parks until close to lunch time each day. And although we had several that napped (between the two families) we also had several strollers and whoever wanted to sleep would just climb in and snooze. There are lots of shows and parades to occupy yourself with when your little one passes out.
I would def do a room with a kitchen...it will save time and money if you can prepare/take food with you or eat before you go into the park. There were days that we spent (a family of 6, including 4 kids) less than $20 in a park because we brought Subway and snacks or prepared lunches with us...it is totally encouraged at all Disney parks. We also invested in aluminum water bottles for each of us...a must if you don't want your little one drinking out of drinking fountains. Buy some flavoring packets too if you are afraid you won't like the taste of the water.
Our friends also brought a harness/leash thing for their little one which she loved. I'm not too big on those, but their little one did love the freedom of being able to move around..especially in the lines for rides. And bring a stroller for sure. We did not bring one for our 3 1/2 year old and she ended up borrowing a stroller a LOT!! I'm sure your 2 year old will need it.
As for the potty training I know my girlfriend said she was not going to push it before the trip, but if it happened on it's own she was fine. Her little one did go in diapers and it was not an issue. We had our infant too and there were many times that both of us would do dual diaper changes.
Another thing to consider is that some of the parks seemed more fun for certain ages than others. Our little ones (2 and 3 years) really liked Hollywood Studios during the middle of our trip on a day when they were tired because it's a lot more shows and they could sit and rest. That was the same day we had a lot of meltdowns mid-day because the tiredness was setting in. Epcot was super fun for our littles also and both of us (my gf and I) wished we would've done another day there...so much fun for the littles.

I think that addressed most of your questions....we are SO glad we went when we did and our kids ages (between the two families) were 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 6 mos.
(O)….2, & Someone NEW….arriving May 2014!

Kindergarten Teaching Extraordinaire
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote