Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #21
motherofall35
Registered Users

Re: Who has been to Disney World in FL with a 2-2.5 yr old?

We took our then 3 year old daughter to disney in March 2009, it was a blast. We stayed at the Contemporary which worked out great since it is a 5 minute walk to magic kingdom and on the monorail.

We brought our own stroller (bring a nice one that reclines flat for possible nap or just relax time). We did the meal plan along with the park hopper, the meal plan was great with lots of options (we did the one that gives a sit down meal, a counter service and then a snack).

We flew and brought a small collapsable cooler so we could bring our own organic cottage cheese, yogurt and snacks. It worked out great and we just put it in the fridge in our room when we got there.

But the meal plan was a good deal and you don't really need to bring much food if you get it. The one thing I did was bring a water bottle with a water filter in it........saves you TONS of money in bottled water. All 3 of us drank from it, it was great, I got it at REI.

Another thing I did was book one character meal a day, usually it was a dinner or breakfast......my dd LOVED it.

We are going to Disney again this March with our now 5 year old and 1 year old baby and I am SO excited......counting down the days!

Advertisement

motherofall35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #22
MomdeIsla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I grew up going to WDW and have been twice with the kid(s). Last time I went DS was 2.5 yrs and DD 10 mos. We did not PL before the trip. Take into account that DS is a wild child that will not nap if we stayed in the park (he's very energetic). We stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter (on property) and enjoyed it. I did not get the meal plan and did not regret it. We took lite breakfast foods to eat in the room and PB & J to eat in the park (the 3 of us DD was nursing and eating jar food on the trip and a few finger foods).....we ate 1 meal a day on property and it wasn't worth the expense of the dining plan. My advice to everyone is to leave the park right about the time your LO is going to take a nap....go back to your room and let them nap....then they will be able to stay up for fireworks and such and will be much better acting so everyone can have fun at the light parade or whatnot. Other things like meals and condo w/ kitchen vs hotel room varies by what you want.

If your child will nap in your own stroller take it...the rental ones are hard and uncomfortable for napping....they are plastic molded things meant for a quick run....not good for sleepers or small babies.

I use www.disboards.com for my trip planning

We are going back next fall...and are renting a DVC condo directly from the owner. It is much cheaper than renting from disney as long as you do your homework on the person renting it out. The condos have washer/ dryer combos in them and kitchens.....I prefer this than standing in line for all the mediocre restaurants that charge way too much for their food.....and there's a huge line to eat counter service....when my kids would rather go back to the room and eat something pulled from my house freezer (we drive a fairly short drive it defrosts on the way there and keeps everything else cold!) There are a lot of people that like the dining plan but that translates into long lines for just hamburgers.....I as someone that remember WDW before the dining plan don't care for it....I think the quality of the food in the parks went down as their volume of production went up. The resort restaurants are the best.

For some toddlers....they dont do well with the big "head" characters.....let your child decide.....most do well with the ones that look like people.....like the princesses and there was a Jack Sparrow look alike.....my DS did fine with all but I saw others who cried with Mickey ect...

If you drink Crystal Light you can just bring those little packets and ask for water at any soda fountain and they will give it to you FREE.....add your drink mix because some people don't like the tast of FL water.

Disney bus service is pretty decent if you are at one of their resorts... not sure about staying off property as we usually travel with DVC members or RBO as DVC guests.

HTH and GL!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #23
annb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been with all ages of kids and it is great! I'd be more worried about how your ds would do on the drive. That's a long way!
Old 01-09-2011, 11:33 PM   #24
neatokimmo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I spent 14 days on property in a value resort with 10 park days and 3 water park days when Natalie was 2.5 yrs old. We went in Sept during free dining. It was a fantastic trip!

We stuck to a strict sleep/nap schedule. We stuck to a strict food schedule. Not a single tear or whine the whole trip. We used Disney transportation and kept the car parked for the whole 2 weeks.
neatokimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:22 AM   #25
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomdeIsla View Post
I grew up going to WDW and have been twice with the kid(s). Last time I went DS was 2.5 yrs and DD 10 mos. We did not PL before the trip. Take into account that DS is a wild child that will not nap if we stayed in the park (he's very energetic). We stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter (on property) and enjoyed it. I did not get the meal plan and did not regret it. We took lite breakfast foods to eat in the room and PB & J to eat in the park (the 3 of us DD was nursing and eating jar food on the trip and a few finger foods).....we ate 1 meal a day on property and it wasn't worth the expense of the dining plan. My advice to everyone is to leave the park right about the time your LO is going to take a nap....go back to your room and let them nap....then they will be able to stay up for fireworks and such and will be much better acting so everyone can have fun at the light parade or whatnot. Other things like meals and condo w/ kitchen vs hotel room varies by what you want.

If your child will nap in your own stroller take it...the rental ones are hard and uncomfortable for napping....they are plastic molded things meant for a quick run....not good for sleepers or small babies.

I use www.disboards.com for my trip planning

We are going back next fall...and are renting a DVC condo directly from the owner. It is much cheaper than renting from disney as long as you do your homework on the person renting it out. The condos have washer/ dryer combos in them and kitchens.....I prefer this than standing in line for all the mediocre restaurants that charge way too much for their food.....and there's a huge line to eat counter service....when my kids would rather go back to the room and eat something pulled from my house freezer (we drive a fairly short drive it defrosts on the way there and keeps everything else cold!) There are a lot of people that like the dining plan but that translates into long lines for just hamburgers.....I as someone that remember WDW before the dining plan don't care for it....I think the quality of the food in the parks went down as their volume of production went up. The resort restaurants are the best.

For some toddlers....they dont do well with the big "head" characters.....let your child decide.....most do well with the ones that look like people.....like the princesses and there was a Jack Sparrow look alike.....my DS did fine with all but I saw others who cried with Mickey ect...

If you drink Crystal Light you can just bring those little packets and ask for water at any soda fountain and they will give it to you FREE.....add your drink mix because some people don't like the tast of FL water.

Disney bus service is pretty decent if you are at one of their resorts... not sure about staying off property as we usually travel with DVC members or RBO as DVC guests.

HTH and GL!
This! 100% this! We go to WDW once a year and have been with DS at age 7mo and 21mo.

Definitely spend time on the disboards (www.disboards.com). Keep in mind that every kid is different. DS (at 21mo) loved the scary dark rides, but was very afraid of Winnie the Pooh. He also refused to go to sleep in the stroller, so we had to head back to our resort for the nap every day; it helped that we were onsite and had a rental car, so it was only a 5 minute drive "home" and very little time wasted traveling.

If you have never been before, just note that WDW is roughly the size of Manhattan. It is a BIG place, and offsite resorts that say they are 5 minutes to the gate are just that, 5 minutes to the gate. There's still another 10-15 minutes to get to the park.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #26
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

Thanks for this thread. We are going in April with a 10 month old and 3.5 yr old. Great advice.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #27
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

We went when DS was 3, still napping in the afternoon and PLing, and we drove down from MN =)
We stopped about half way through the drive for the night. We stayed at a Disney resort, so we'd head out to a park in the morning, stay until afternoon, take the shuttle back to the hotel for an hour or 2, DS would sleep, we would shower, get food for dinner, ect. Then take the shuttle back out to a park =) Worked great for us and this was a big park of the perk of staying at Disney, the free shuttles! I mostly kept DS in a training pants just to be safe, and kept eyes out for bathrooms. GL and have a great time! We can't wait to go back!
Old 01-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #28
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

Let's see, my daughter was 20 months. She was great, we brought our stroller and did a walk stroll combo. There is a changing/quiet area there Magic Kingdom, I think. She slept reclined in the stroller at one point and woke up refreshed. We did MK one day, Epcot another.

We didn't stay at Disney. We stayed near Sea World (a wonderful destination as well) at the Hilton Grand Vaca suites. We bought our own food (and water!! You need to buy water) and kept the costs way down.

The resort has awesome pools and we also checked out a regular old park with slide and swings and grass one day.

Depending where in Ontario you are, you might consider driving to Buffalo and taking a flight (gate check stroller and car seat) because Air Tran is cheap to Orlando. Hth.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #29
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

Also I haven't read all pp, but there is a service in Orlando that will do short term prefold service if you're interested. I think it cost me $20 for a week and a half and I had way more diapers than I needed. It was great not to have to keep washing dipes, believe me.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #30
mickeymase
Registered Users
seller

Yes! There is a diaper service in Orlando that will do vacation service -
www.ecodiaperservice.com
It is $23.95 a week for 80 prefolds that they will deliver to your hotel. You don't have to worry about washing!!
mickeymase is offline   Reply With Quote