Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2007, 06:33 AM   #21
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Re: s/o: what is your budget for DC bday present?

I always put the Godchildren in with the neices for budgeting Christmas and birthdays (when I remember them, it's way too much to keep straight some years). Lately I've been on a homemade kick for presents so it's been rather cheap and actually been things they like (or so I've been told). My niece has been carrying her doll in the doll sling for months, even takes it on plane rides. But normally I would say we stay under $25 per kid whenever possible and sometimes do a joint family gift. Other years, since they are all girls and about the same ages, I wait for something to go on sale as a buy one get one free or something and stock up. That is a bit harder as they get older since they all have different interests.

Advertisement

Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:36 AM   #22
stephlynnette
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Usually between $50-75; we normally don't get toys for them, because our family members insist on doing that! We do mostly clothes, then maybe a book or two, or a "bigger" present; one year, we got DS1 a bike.

Oh, and for our nephew, we usually spend $30 at his birthday and at Christmas. He's a hard child to buy for, though; sometimes he gets money (which he loves; he saves it for big things).

Last edited by stephlynnette; 03-16-2007 at 06:38 AM.
stephlynnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:47 AM   #23
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

whoa. We are lucky if we have $10 to $20 to spend for the kids for B-day presents. It comes out of our monthly food budget.

I used to spend $20-$50 per child but that was when I was working full-time and everything cost less then!
Old 03-16-2007, 09:52 AM   #24
my2babyboys
Registered Users
seller

We spend around $100 for birthdays and about $200-$250 per child for Christmas and of course they get all year round as well.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:10 AM   #25
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

It depends on what I think my dc need for that birthday, and I usually get everything on sale. I've done $80 or more with leap pad, books, etc that ended up not getting used. One year I bought a sit and spin thingy for $5 at Walmart on Black Friday. When ds1 turned 6 last summer I bought him a book he really liked that was $13. That's all he got I think and he was happy with it, though I think it took forever to come and we didn't get it for a while after his birthday. Ds2 turned 5 a few months ago and got 5 Rescue Heroes that I got for cheap so maybe $20 or $25 total. Then dh really wanted Legos for himself and claimed it was for the boys so he added in a $20 set of Legos. Dd is turning 4 and I made her the LTK crown. I don't know if we are going to add anything else or not. So $10 for the yarn plus the cost of the pattern, but I have enough yarn to make another, or maybe a purse for her.
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:35 AM   #26
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow, i cant imagine spending $100-200 on a birthday! What on earth do your kids do w/ all that stuff? We generally spend about $10-20 on birthdays and for Christmas our limit is $50 per child. They get gifts from other people too, so in the end they still get way too much stuff. Granted we are on a limited budget, but even if we had the money to spare, I wouldnt spend more.. I want our children realizing that holidays are about family, not receiving presents. As far as neices go.. we have 2 and we spend $5-10 for each girl for both christmas and birthdays. Its the thought that counts.
LunaBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:45 AM   #27
moparop
Registered Users

We try to do one gift for whatever holiday. So, it's not so much about the price as it is something we know they need and can use. Usually the gift is between $20 and $100.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:17 AM   #28
jkelstaten
Registered Users

About $30 for birthdays, $50 for Christmas. We usually get them one toy, a couple craft things (crayons, drawing paper, etc.) and an outfit or other clothes they need anyway.

Our family totally spoils them so there's really no need for us to buy them toys or anything like that.

For neices and nephews (we have 10) we spend a max of $10 for birthdays and Christmas, but the value is usually a lot more because I'm an awesome clearance shopper.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:44 AM   #29
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't really have a budget. Depends on what I think he would like and what I have to spend at the time.

His birthday is in May and I have already bought him an alphabet puzzle and book and a Learning About Letters video. Plus, I have a Megablocks firehouse set to add to his megablocks. I just kind of pick up things as I see them.

But now I kind of wish I hadn't gotten those things because I want to get him a train table for his train set!
Old 03-16-2007, 11:56 AM   #30
mommytaylor
Banned
seller

I don't have any DC but for family member's bday's or friends we spend around $20 max, and for xmas its usually $10 per person (except DH has a HUGE family so we do a secret santa drawing type of thing for his family). We usually spend maybe $300-400 for xmas.
mommytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote