Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
tiger*baby
Registered Users
seller

? about mastitis and alternative treatments

I'm currently going through a bout of mastitis. Started with a fever of 101.2 and breast pain, and then the redness showed up about 12 hours later. My doctor was hesitant to prescribe antibiotics because I'm so allergic, so we opted to try alternative treatments to see if I could cure it that way before trying an antibiotic.

So I've been taking raw garlic every 2-3 hours with OJ, pumping and/or nursing every 2-3 hours, massaging, hot showers, cold compresses in-between nursing, etc. The fever and body aches are gone, and the redness is slowly going away. So yay!!

My questions are, how long do I continue with what I'm doing, and how long until my breast feels back to normal? It's still a little lumpy and tender, but the tenderness could be due to all the massaging.

I have a feeling that I'll be dealing with mastitis more than once, due to scar tissue on this breast after numerous biopsies (all negative thankfully!!). So I'm trying to learn all I can as fast as possible, so I can fix it as soon as it crops up again!

Advertisement

tiger*baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ? about mastitis and alternative treatments

I have had the beginnings of mastitis a few times over the years. I agree I NEVER go on antibiotics, because of the risk of yeast for me and baby.

Anyway, so glad you are already doing better, those are all the things i do, nurse baby on that side first every time, massage, hot showers, cold compresses, I think the biggest help is catching it super early.

I haven't run a fever with it but one, the first time when I didn't know what it was. After that at the slightest tenderness I would start nursing on that side, etc...

Hopefully this will be your only experience with it.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
jmomma1203
Registered Users
seller

I had Mastitis in December for the first time. My midwife had me take 2 garlic capsules, 2 vitamin C tablets, 2 lecithin capsules, and 2 echinacea capsules 3 times a day for 10 days. My Mastitis was gone within 2 days. I stayed in bed with the baby for one whole day and nursed on demand.

You can read about it on my blog bit.ly/gXns1b

I can't put it as a link because I don't have enough posts yet.

I hope this helps!
jmomma1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
acwakip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So sorry you're going through this.

I have my first bout right now too. I felt engorged yesterday so I started massaging, pumping, nursing like crazy from the side. Last night at church, I got the chills like crazy and dizzy too. Came home and took my temp, 103!

I am glad I came across this thread as I don't want to go to the doctor and get meds if I don't have to. It is snowing and a 45 minute drive to the doctor. I don't feel comfortable driving with the baby in this weather but don't want to start giving him bottles just yet either.

Hope yours clears up soon!
acwakip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
tiger*baby
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwakip View Post
So sorry you're going through this.

I have my first bout right now too. I felt engorged yesterday so I started massaging, pumping, nursing like crazy from the side. Last night at church, I got the chills like crazy and dizzy too. Came home and took my temp, 103!

I am glad I came across this thread as I don't want to go to the doctor and get meds if I don't have to. It is snowing and a 45 minute drive to the doctor. I don't feel comfortable driving with the baby in this weather but don't want to start giving him bottles just yet either.

Hope yours clears up soon!
I'm so sorry you're going thru this too! It's awful.

It's a lot more work than just taking antibiotics, but it's been worth it. It's been 3 days and I'm SOOOO much better today. The fever/chills/dizzyness went away after about 36 hours of intense treatment (clove of garlic every hour plus everything I mentioned above). I stopped the garlic after about 48 hours but have continued the nursing/pumping every 2-3 hours (trying to do a warm compress before pumping to ease the milk flow), massage, warm showers and cold compresses inbetween. And I plan to pick up the capsules jmomma1203 mentioned above just to be on the safe side.

Thanks so much for posting your experience jmomma1203!! I'm going to pick that stuff up today and take it for the remaining 7 days to be on the safe side.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
brooklynmomcnm
Registered Users
seller

I find that hot/wet compresses over fresh parsley really draws out the clog much better than hot compresses alone. The breast does remain a bit sore after the clog is gone, maybe for another day or two.
brooklynmomcnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Sienna21
Registered Users

I just went through this a month ago. I woke up in the middle of the night with a super sore breast, had the chills and temp of 102 (felt like the flu). I started taking echinacea 3x day and colloidal silver spray 4x day. Also vitamin C and garlic. The colloidal silver acts like an antibiotic, I have taken this for UTI's in the past, since I am allergic to every antibiotic I try, and it works great. (Ask any doctor if there is another option for a UTI other than antibiotics, and they will say "no way". I've cured two so far that way.) I was feeling much better by the afternoon, but my fever didn't go away for at least 24 hours. I didn't take a fever reducer, since I feel it is your bodies way of fighting of an infection naturally. My breasts didn't feel normal until around 5 days afterwards. Oh, and as already mentioned I did the other stuff too, nurse, pump, heat, massage, etc.
Sienna21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
tiger*baby
Registered Users
seller

Sigh, looks like it's coming back. I started getting a hard plugged duct again yesterday, and now it's larger with reddening and I have 1 red streak. I'm popping the lecithin, vit c, echinacea and raw garlic, but if the fever hits again I think I'll be calling in for antibiotics. This sucks.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
SignOfTheFishBurger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I dealt with mastitis about a month ago and my lactation consultant had me on Oil of Oregano capsuls (http://www.vitacost.com/NaturesAnswe...ano-90Softgels). It cleared up in about 48hrs.
SignOfTheFishBurger is offline   Reply With Quote