Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
rmanduh313
Registered Users
seller

wanting to cut out the formula supplements

one of the dr's in my ped office told me to start supplementing my baby with formula every other feeding (two weeks ago) because he didnt appear to be gaining weight like a newborn should
the dr also had me giving him the formula over concentrated (10oz of water with 6 scoops of formula)
ive been trying to keep up with pumping but nowt hat hubby is back to work im lucky if i can pump two times a day
so ive just been using the milk i had pumped previously and mixed half breastmilk with half formula and been feeding him via bottle
at his one month appt today i saw a diff dr in the ped office (the one i like better) and she said he doesnt need the formula
he is 9lb3oz and 21 3/4inches
how do i go back to just nursing? i know my supply is down cause i havent been pumping much
and how will i know if my milk has enough fat in it to keep him growing big?
with my last baby i had to switch to formula at 6months cause she wasnt getting big enough eather

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
mor
Registered Users

Re: wanting to cut out the formula supplements

hmm I'm a bad mommy, the ped we went to said to supplement - I just found someone else and never went back to her. I did find that my DS was falling asleep really fast when we nursed and nothing would keep him awake. Now I just let him stop for 15 minutes or so and when he wakes up we go back to the same side -- he is still weighs much less than the average formula fed baby, but his height is fine and everything else is developing no problem.
mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wow, wow, wow, I can;t beleive first off he told you to mix the formula with less water...that is a big no no, like really. WOW.

Anyway, moving on,yes of course you can feed your baby, but it may take a few days to a week to get your supply back to what it needs to be.

You need to do what is called a nurse-in or nurse-a-thon, lol, get some good movies or books, a large glass of water, some protien rich snacks, like food bars, raw nuts, granola, etc... and get ready to nurse your baby every time he asks. Your breasts ar enever empty, they are always filling as you empty them. The more they are emptied the higher the fat count.

You may have to give him a tiny bit of supplement depending on how much you were giving him before, but make it as little as possible, like 1 oz or less, and make it less every few feeds over the next few days.

Also you will find that he wants to eat more often then he has been, that is fine and will help your supply, he may even start waking more at night, remember breast milk digests in 2 hours, so he will be more hungry, but you can do it!

Your body will get the message to make more milk.

Here is a great link

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
Old 01-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
mrsmusic
Registered Users
seller

Just stop supplementing. Your body will make more milk because your baby is demanding more milk. Keep hydrated and don't give up because your doctor tried some scare tactics. Your baby will be FINE.
Bri helpmeet to Chaise (9/10/11). Attachment parenting, no circ, no longer vaccinating, pro-life, Christian, homeschooling preemie mama to K (27wks on 2/17/07) AIH Type 1 with PSC overlap and M (33wks on 3/4/09) Gluten Freeand A (37 weeks! on 2/3/11)
Follow my blog: Music Notes
mrsmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
rmanduh313
Registered Users
seller

right now with the half formula and half breastmilk he was drinking four ounces every 3 hours
sometimes he would stretch out to 4 hours, but usually it was three
i just dont want to see him crying even for a few days if he's hungry and my body doesnt have enough of what he needs
how do u know if your milk has enough fat to it tho?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can't increase the fat your milk has...by what you eat or anything it is increase by empting the breast.

Here read this
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...e-milkfat.html

If you will nurse him every 2 hours during the day and then offer 1 oz of breastmilk in a bottle with a slow flow nipple, for the next 2 days and then .5 oz for a day and then nothing, you will see that your body is doing great.

Mom's feed their babies every day without supplementing, your body will not fail you, you can so do this!

Now go feed your baby! Can't wait to here how it is going in a few days!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check this out too

http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/4pdf.pdf

page 2
The following are NOT good ways of judging
Old 01-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also, check out the who breastfeeding growth charts. Bf babes don't gain and grow the way a ff babe would. All the other advice here is great. These ladies always beat me to the punch
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
rmanduh313
Registered Users
seller

thank you for all the advice so far
i am hoping to keep getting more cause each mom has a new little bit of info that is helpful
i just am torn, one part of me wants to drop the formula right this second
but then i wonder, since im giving him half my milk and half over concentrated formula, if my milk was in fact good enough for him wouldnt he be higher up on the growth chart than only 50%?
im worried if i stop the formula he will loose weight and not thrive
Old 01-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama- this is the problem with those growth charts - what you're aiming for is consistent numbers i.e. always near 20% or always near 90% - where ever you start is where you want to stay. You don't want to see higher or lower percentiles than you started off with.

If your son started at 30% (just an example) FTT would be dropping down in percentiles. Not going up to a higher percentile is okay - you should be looking for a steady climb on his curve.

Please - check out the growth charts here (http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/chart1.html) and plot your son's weight. Most Doctor's offices are still using the formula fed charts and a BF babies tend to not follow the same curves.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote