Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #11
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: wanting to cut out the formula supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanduh313 View Post
thank you for all the advice so far
i am hoping to keep getting more cause each mom has a new little bit of info that is helpful
i just am torn, one part of me wants to drop the formula right this second
but then i wonder, since im giving him half my milk and half over concentrated formula, if my milk was in fact good enough for him wouldnt he be higher up on the growth chart than only 50%?
im worried if i stop the formula he will loose weight and not thrive
Your worried about the 50th percentile! That is a great place o be!! I would find a new ped who won't make you feel like what you are providing for your baby( which is perfectly formulated for your baby) isn't good enough! That is bogus! My DS had been in the 50th percentile or below and he is EBF and has been for a year! My ped says he is perfect! Your milk IS perfect for your baby!

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #12
mrsmusic
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanduh313 View Post
thank you for all the advice so far
i am hoping to keep getting more cause each mom has a new little bit of info that is helpful
i just am torn, one part of me wants to drop the formula right this second
but then i wonder, since im giving him half my milk and half over concentrated formula, if my milk was in fact good enough for him wouldnt he be higher up on the growth chart than only 50%?
im worried if i stop the formula he will loose weight and not thrive
... 50%??? They are having you supplement for that? That's ridiculous. My children weren't even ON the charts some of the time. My DD is almost to the 50% now at almost 4... she spent most of that time 25% and below. My DS is 22 months and in the 10% for height and under the 25% for weight. My kids are more than healthy, I assure you.
Bri helpmeet to Chaise (9/10/11). Attachment parenting, no circ, no longer vaccinating, pro-life, Christian, homeschooling preemie mama to K (27wks on 2/17/07) AIH Type 1 with PSC overlap and M (33wks on 3/4/09) Gluten Freeand A (37 weeks! on 2/3/11)
Follow my blog: Music Notes
mrsmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:13 AM   #13
runzbarrel
Registered Users
seller

I would be ecstatic if my DS was in the 50% for weight!!!! He's barely even 5% and that's where he's been since he was born and is now 8 months old this week. My ped finally backed off when he saw that he is growing on a steady curve and hasn't EVER lost any weight. FWIW he's not even 14lbs yet
runzbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:03 AM   #14
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What if you just take baby in for a weight check in a week and again a week later as you wean off bottles and onto the breast full time. That way you will feel better.

Baby need to gain 4 oz a week or more.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #15
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think most people don't understand percentiles. I'll give an example, as a woman, if you are 5 ft 4 inches you would be 50th percentile, average. Meaning, half of woman are smaller, half are taller. Babies, like all humans have their own build. That is why as long as the percentiles stay the same, give or take, regardless of number your baby is fine.
I Totally agree with Christy, get in bed and nurse your baby ALL day long and night time too, after a couple of days you will be making more milk. Your baby will be healthier on your milk than formula. You can do it. Good luck!
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #16
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz7 View Post
I think most people don't understand percentiles. I'll give an example, as a woman, if you are 5 ft 4 inches you would be 50th percentile, average. Meaning, half of woman are smaller, half are taller. Babies, like all humans have their own build. That is why as long as the percentiles stay the same, give or take, regardless of number your baby is fine.
^Agreed. The growth charts are not like an exam in school where the goal is to get the highest marks. Some people are naturally bigger and others are naturally smaller. If your child is naturally smaller, there is nothing wrong with that. My oldest has consistently been under 15% her whole life, and even below the charts at times, but she's just a small person and she is fine. I was never advised to supplement her. What is most important at this age is just that they have gained weight over time, not necessarily percentiles.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #17
rmanduh313
Registered Users
seller

when the dr had originally put him on the supplements he was in the 10-25%
but he wasnt gaining the 1-2oz per day they wanted to see
NOW that he has been on formula supplements for two weeks he is up in the 50%
my ped is now telling me i can drop the formula
(she was not happy to see that the other ped in the office had taken him off breast and given supplemets to begin with)
Old 01-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #18
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You might see a minor drop in the percentiles - that's a lot of fast weight gain. I doubt that he'll maintain a growth pattern like that without the supplments (which is GOOD)

Hope you're able to cut them all out with the advice that you've gotten here. Keep us in the loop and don't be afraid to come back with more questions.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #19
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wow, see 4 oz a week is enough, so 1-2 oz a day is abnormal...most babies put on about .5 oz a day.

They wanted to see your baby grow abnormally for a breast baby.

When we say formula babies grow at a greater rate then breast babies it is true but not neccesarily healthy or naturally.

Sounds like you were doing great the whole time..

Let me tell you a story, I thought baou thtis is the shower this morning, haha.

I kep a 6 month old for 4 days while I was nursing my 11 month old. His parents had to leave the state and couldn't take him, no way to work out daily childcare...anyway. She left me with tons of frozen milk but he wouldn't take it, not in a bottle,, not a cup, not a sippy, not a dropper, nothing, he cried for the 1st 7 hours, then I started nursing him...along with my baby. I never did anything else but climb in my bed, latch them both on and feed them when they were hungry. No herbs, no pumping, no nothing. I was more thirsty for a few days but anyway, I feed both of those babies and thery were both content and happy.

Needless to say when he went home I was so full, then I pumped, then I offered my baby a snack several times a day to help me and even woke himat night because her baby had been eating then too. It took about a week to get back to just what we needed but only a few hours to make enought for 2 babies.

God made our bodies to feed our babies, what they need, when they need it.

Here is the deal, that Dr was Wrong, just plan wrong, fixing formual wrong isn't just wrong it is dangerous and over time can damage babies kidneys as there is too much protien in it. He wanted your baby to gain too much weight to fast and he didn't know what he was doing. He is not a breast freindly Dr and the information he gave you not only scared you buy has now made you worried. Shame on him.

Remember the Dr works for you and not the other way around.

Now it is up to you, but if you want to drop the formula, do it. Otherwise there is nothing else any of us can say...be brave woman! YOu can do this!
Old 01-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #20
rmanduh313
Registered Users
seller

i think im gunna try to gradually wean him off the formula so if he does drop down in weight it will be gradual and also my supply will gradually increase
i am not going to do the formula overly concentrated at all anymore
and i am giong to start pumping more frequently at home so i will visually be able to watch my supply increase and then give him that in a bottle