Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #21
eskrojas
Registered Users
seller

Re: wanting to cut out the formula supplements

I agree with most of the other ladies. If you want to BF 100%, stop supplementing now, and drink lots of water! You can check how much he gets per feeding by weighing him both before and after the feeding - maybe you have a lactation consultant that can help you out with this?

Advertisement

eskrojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #22
rmanduh313
Registered Users
seller

i dont have a scale at my house to weigh him
but i have been trying to pump more frequently and i have noticed its increasing already!
and i gave him a bottle of only breastmilk yesterday and he slept just as long as he does when its mixed half and half
if it was too weak wouldnt he have woken up hungry sooner?
Old 01-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #23
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He probably has established a new sleep pattern. Sounds like things are going good
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #24
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanduh313 View Post
i dont have a scale at my house to weigh him
but i have been trying to pump more frequently and i have noticed its increasing already!
and i gave him a bottle of only breastmilk yesterday and he slept just as long as he does when its mixed half and half
if it was too weak wouldnt he have woken up hungry sooner?
Mama!! Please stop doubting yourself and your milk!!! You are doing an awesome job and your milk is Perfect for your baby. It was even perfect when he was at the lower percentile!! You should walk around the house saying out loud " my milk is the best and is PERFECT for my lo". Over and over again so you can hear it and convince yourself of it. Since the pediatrician has convinced you otherwise! get ride of all the formula in your house and focus on nursing your baby and building that relationship and trust again !
Old 01-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #25
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
thank you for all the advice so far
i am hoping to keep getting more cause each mom has a new little bit of info that is helpful
i just am torn, one part of me wants to drop the formula right this second
but then i wonder, since im giving him half my milk and half over concentrated formula, if my milk was in fact good enough for him wouldnt he be higher up on the growth chart than only 50%?
im worried if i stop the formula he will loose weight and not thrive
Do you have access to a baby scale? It can give you some peace of mind as you drop the supplements.

We went through the whole too little supply/need to supplement thing. The issue, especially with a newborn, is not to drop the supplements too quickly if you've been giving more than a couple of ounces per day - and remember that supplements includes pumped breast milk.

The KellyMom website has a great explanation on how to wean off of supplemental bottles. Basically, you figure out how many total ounces per day you've been feeding in a bottle. Subtract one ounce, mix up the new amount, and divide it into the same number of bottles. For example, if you've been feeding a 3 oz bottle 4 times per day, you've been supplementing 12 ounces. So, tomorrow you mix up 11 ounces, divide it evenly into 4 bottles, and offer the bottles to baby just like you've been doing. In the meantime, you keep pumping if you have been doing that, and let baby nurse as much as he will. Every couple of days, you drop another ounce.

If you have access to a baby scale, you should also weigh the baby before you drop an ounce of formula to make sure he's gaining weight appropriately.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #26
Leonore's Light
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
thank you for all the advice so far
i am hoping to keep getting more cause each mom has a new little bit of info that is helpful
i just am torn, one part of me wants to drop the formula right this second
but then i wonder, since im giving him half my milk and half over concentrated formula, if my milk was in fact good enough for him wouldnt he be higher up on the growth chart than only 50%?
im worried if i stop the formula he will loose weight and not thrive
My son's only 25th %ile and EBF, I had some low milk to start, but he's up from like 12% a few weeks ago. We started out giving him donor milk til my milk came in. Now, whenever we have to feed him pumped milk, I pump to make up at least what he drank and after a couple days my milk catches up to his demand and more, then I put the milk away until his next growth spurt. 50th percentile just means that he's bigger than 50% of babies and smaller than 50% of babies on average. It doesn't mean he's small. It actually means he's average. There's a reason there's a growth chart. Babies are all different sizes! My brother was so tiny he was off the growth charts most of his childhood. He was EBF. He was super skinny. They said he'd only be 5' tall. He's 6'.
Leonore's Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #27
mama0609
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakewright View Post

Baby need to gain 4 oz a week or more.
This isn't always true... My DS is gaining less than 4 oz a week (more like 2) and he';s completely fine and healthy. COMPLETELY. He's growing in length, his head is growing (and even growing more than the average recommendation!), he is developmentally on target, he poops a normal, yellow BM poop a day and he's happy. So not ALL babies need to gain 4 oz a week. That's AVERAGE. Just sayin'
(and my IBCLC and pedi agree with me)

OP - I'm going to echo the others... the growth chart isn't a race or an exam... My youngest is in like the 5th percentile... But he's gaining and growing well for him. Unlike formula fed babies, breastfed babies will each grow at their rate naturally designed for THEM.

Weaning is a good idea... From supplements, I mean! We supplemented due to poor transfer from a tongue tie and then again because I thought he HAD to gain 4oz a week and both times we weaned. The third time we supplemented, it was just .5 oz per feeding and I dropped it cold turkey. My supply increased in like, a day.

You are doing great mama!
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #28
mama0609
Banned
seller

Remember too, that formula is hard to break down. They digest breastmilk completely in something like 90 min. Formula can take 2 hours to break down and digest. So if he does seem to be 'more hungry' it's just that his food is digesting that much quicker... It's normal for a BF baby to eat more often than a FF baby. It doesn't mean your milk is 'weak' or 'skim' or whatever you want to call it. It's just that some babies go longer before they feel hungry and some are right on the 90 min mark.

My DS nurses both sides upon waking up, is up for 40-60 min, then nurses to sleep, sleeps for an hour or so and then does it again. All day. That's just him. I used to doubt my milk and it's fat content but he's just one of those babes that needs to eat often and that's OK!
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote