Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
cobalt920
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
disappointed that coworker stopped breastfeeding before returning to work

One of my coworkers had a baby at the end of September. She just came back from maternity leave. Before she left she asked me some questions about pumping. I don't go around talking about breastfeeding to coworkers, but since she asked I was glad to tell her what I knew. Our company supports breastfeeding moms by giving us $150 off a medala pump and provides on-call lactation consultants. We also have a room for nursing. Right now I'm the only pumping mom.

I didn't really know the coworker too well before she left. I saw her today and she said thanks for all the info I gave her, but she decided to quit breastfeeding before coming back to work. I'm a little disappointed. I know it has nothing to do with me. Bur it's still a kittle disappointing.

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: disappointed that coworker stopped breastfeeding before returning to work

She had the choice to make...who knows, maybe she couldn't get any milk out pumping/had low supply? Not enough support?? There are so many reasons a mama can stop. It was nice of you to give her info/help, but it's def not your fault.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
mrsmusic
Registered Users
seller

Try not to let it show to her since there is nothing you can do about it and you don't want things to be awkward. But that is disappointing.

Your company, however, is AWESOME.
Bri helpmeet to Chaise (9/10/11). Attachment parenting, no circ, no longer vaccinating, pro-life, Christian, homeschooling preemie mama to K (27wks on 2/17/07) AIH Type 1 with PSC overlap and M (33wks on 3/4/09) Gluten Freeand A (37 weeks! on 2/3/11)
Follow my blog: Music Notes
mrsmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #4
adrianmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I agree try not to show it to her. You did your part in helping her. She came to her own decision. You must work for a great company. What type of company is this for? Our company stinks our private room is a broom closet.
adrianmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:11 AM   #5
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am sure you were looking forward to the comradery of another pumper at work. I am sorry it didn't work out for you or her baby. Just encourage other mammas out there, there are tons who need it.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #6
cobalt920
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianmommy View Post
I agree try not to show it to her. You did your part in helping her. She came to her own decision. You must work for a great company. What type of company is this for? Our company stinks our private room is a broom closet.
I work for an educational publisher as an editor. I'm really glad that the company realizes the importance of breastfeeding for working moms.

I'm definitely not going to let her know that I felt a bit disappointed. It would have been great to have another pumping mom. But I realize lots of people have challenges and other circumstances. There used to be another one, but she got laid off last summer.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I totally understand. Sometimes you wonder if there was something you should have done differently. Given more support somehow? We are often so afraid to bring it up that we might offend, that then we wonder if we should have done more when it doesn't work out. At least that's how I feel.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pumped for the first year with my son and I was always so happy when I saw that someone else had one of the medela cooler bags in the frigde or the tell-tale "stylish" pumping bag.

I made it longer than anyone else here and I totally understand the way you feel. Pumping is very isolating and just knowing that someone else is going through the same thing makes you feel not as alone.

Just know that you did what you could - like any other mom advice - you can give them good advice but you can't make them follow it.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
eskrojas
Registered Users
seller

I understand where you are coming form - I pumped for the first 10 months of my daughters life, and am still bfing now at 13 months. Like you know, it is very difficult to maintain proper momentum at work while being interrupted with pumping. I am very happy that I stopped pumping, and in fact wish that I had done it sooner. Remember, you do not know the underlying reasons. Perhaps she was going to have to supplement just to meet demand? I can only imagine how frustrating that would be. Hang in there.
eskrojas is offline   Reply With Quote