Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
Lanae
Registered Users
Formerly: Lanae~1st time mom
seller

Location: Hawaii-Oahu, DH-Deployment to Iraq, My home state-TN
My Mood:
He came on Dec 31st and I am FINALLY out of the hospital!

Well, its taken me a while to get on and post but I have been spending all my time trying to soak up every last minute with the hubby and spending time in the hospital.

My story:

Well, I was dilated to 4 and 75% effaced about a week before what the docs considered my due date (though I considered that point to be my due date by our count) and everyone kept saying any day now... well, it didn't come and hubby's return date was looming closer and closer. I asked my doctor to set an induction date and then set out on my way to try everything in the world to get this baby out! Black cohosh, RRL tea, Primrose oil, walking, sex, pumping, bouncing on the labor ball, squats,.... blah blah blah... even acupuncture. My induction date was scheduled for the 31st but since my doc was on call on the 30th, she called me that morning and asked if I was ready.... So, once I finally got ahold of my husband who was out surfing, we were on our way to the hospital.

I was hooked up to the pitocin around 11 and checked with no difference from the week before. About 7pm my water broke on its own... still no real serious pain at this point just a little discomfort.... then, it all hit me at once around 10pm. I was only at a 6 and she said that there was more water and she had to finish breaking the bag cause I just had a small leak... I was still laying on the bed and had gotten to laying on a side wishing for an epidural but refusing to get one. I decided to get some narcotics in my iv but then I decided that I was going to get up and go pee first... Once I got up, I realized how much more manageable the pain was. I changed my mind about the drugs, pulled myself into the rocking chair and began to labor. They put in an internal monitor since they wanted to up my pit again since I was at a level 18 on it. Once they did that, baby's heart rate dropped into the 40's, the next few minutes were all a blur of doctors moving me and shoving a shot of something in my arm and cutting off the pit. They started talking about rushing me to a c-section but luckily, as they were getting the sides of the bed ready to go, his heart rate came back up and they allowed me to keep laboring. I think I was in too much pain to think about any of it too much...

I was checked again and found to be at 8.... and continued to labor without the pit for about 2 hours before the doctor came back in and said words that no one wants to hear... "We're gonna put you back on the pitocin". My response, "then I want an epidural". Since there was no telling how much longer I was gonna be laboring... I couldn't stand the thought of the pitocin again... our bodies are not made for that crap. I was so scared of the epidural and to be honest, I thought it was horrible... But, thats probably cause I can't sit still when I am in pain. I took a nap for a couple hours then it was time to push... 3 contractions and he was out and healthy! He was born at 0231 on Friday, December 31, 2010 at 6lbs and 15.8 oz and 18.5in long. I went home with labia and peri tears but overall healthy... until I wasn't anymore.

On Monday, at his check up, I told the doc I thought I had mastitis... He checked not only baby but also me and told me he thought so too and to use some heat compress.... nothing to worry about... 2 days later, on Wed, I saw the lactation consultant, by this point, I had been running fevers of 101 and generally feeling ill... I told her this, her response, "Well, it looks like you have mastitis but I don't really worry about it until you get a fever of 102 or 103, just use a hot compress" and sent me on my way.... The next day was pretty miserable for me and to top it all off, my husband was leaving to go back overseas. Friday morning, there was no more denying I was sick... I woke up feeling like I had the flu, covered in buckets of sweat. I lasted for a few more hours til I realized I couldn't shake it and took my temp which was 104.7. I couldn't see straight, or hold myself up so my labor doula came over and brought me to the hospital where they immediately forgot that I came in for something cause they were more concerned about the fact that my heart rate was 187.

I was in the ER for about 6 hours and all I got was... well, maybe you have the flu. But, while I was there, I thought it was a good time to ask for some meds for the mastitis which had gotten pretty bad, he saw it and said, use hot compress and left. Well, since they wouldn't let me feed since I was hooked up, they brought me a pump and luckily a nurse just happened to walk in and see my breast as I was pumping... she freaked and got a different doctor and within minutes, my heart problem was forgotten and I was being admitted for IV meds. I thought I would be out the next morning since it was Fri night, I figured saturday I would get to go home... well, its Monday and I just got home.

My breast still hurts and its still swollen with big masses but they said I don't have any abscesses! I'm hoping that all is well with that issue now that I have had antibiotics.

Breastfeeding is much harder than I expected though I did expect it to be difficult. I'm still going but am really hoping that it gets easier soon.

Since I suck at posting pictures, here's a link to some pics of Jay!

http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t226/punklanae/

Hopefully I will figure out this mothering thing soon so that I can join all the convos again! Congrats to all those who had their babies!

Advertisement

Last edited by Lanae; 10-16-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Lanae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
T&Gmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: He came on Dec 31st and I am FINALLY out of the hospital!

I already told you on FB, but congrats again!! He is super adorable! I'm SOOO sorry you had to go through that kind of pain and mistreatment!!! That sounds about like Tripler!!
T&Gmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
T&Gmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also added you to the DS December mamas group too
T&Gmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
Lanae
Registered Users
Formerly: Lanae~1st time mom
seller

Location: Hawaii-Oahu, DH-Deployment to Iraq, My home state-TN
My Mood:

Thank you!!!!!!
Lanae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
Mommyof4forme!
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Congrats! Sorry you have gone through so much . He's adorable!
Mommyof4forme! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
naturalbirthmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Breastfeeding will get easier!! For 2 of my children I've had to endure many weeks of pain before FINALLY it got better (one I think was tongue tied and the frenulum just needed to stretch).
Autumn ~~ Haley 12, Haven 10, Paisley 7, Sterling 5, Camden 3, Finley 1*the bathroom baby* and #7 due August 2015
I have amazing eyelashes! Wanna know how?? www.beautifullyblessedlashes.com
naturalbirthmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
PiecesOfKate
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sorry you had such a difficult time. Congrats on your precious little one!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So glad you are finally home and he is perfectly beautiful BTW!

Keep up with the nursing it does get easier!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
Winter
Registered Users
seller

Congratulations! He's adorable!
I hope things get easier for you, mama. Hang in there!
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
g&g
Registered Users

My Mood:

Congrats, he is such a cutie! I am sorry you are having a rough time...I hope things get better here on out!
Katy, outnumbered Marine wife/mom/geologist to a spunky Hoo, a sweet Pipes, with #3 due in Aug, and 2 crazy wiener dogs, Graben and Gabi.

g&g is offline   Reply With Quote