Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
Jleigh8289
Registered Users
seller

Question What happened to our beautiful latch?

I've been able to ebf DD for a month now! And its gone perfectly once we got used to it. I'm very happy cuz I gave up with DS and really wanted to go all the way this time.

So everything has been fine, but over the past few days DD has been 'loosening' her latch. Does that make sense? Like we'll latch on perfectly and then a little bit (and I lean like seconds) later she'll slip off a bit or break suction with her tongue (I can hear the click) and then she's down only on the nipple, and it feels like she's 'flicking' my nipple. And her swallowing really slows down so I'm wondering if she's getting as much. And she'll start tugging and pulling with her head on the little she's latched on to. It doesn't hurt until I get close to empty. Just feels weird.

So I'll take her off and re-latch and she does it again or sometimes doesn't seem interested in going back on. But I know she's hungry cuz she will cry when I set her down and is usually a content baby if full. I know its looser than what she used to do. Still getting good diaper counts...

Should I try to fix this, or just leave it alone? I would appreciate any tips or advice. Thanks, Mamas!

Advertisement

Last edited by Jleigh8289; 01-11-2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: forgot some info
Jleigh8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What happened to our beautiful latch?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

see if this link helps.

I have actually stared pumping off some milk before latching my baby in, she is almost 4 weeks. it is helping a ton.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #3
momto4plus4
Registered Users
seller

I had problems like that, I'm talking PERFECT latch that went so wrong. Ditto the Kellymom site. I found 2 things-I had an oversupply issue so blockfeeding made a world of difference. But, we also had thrush numerous times and the latch issue was one of the first signs but I wouldn't realize it for a good 2 weeks or so then it would click. I hope the kellymom site helps and I do hope you don't have thrush-it's a pain.
momto4plus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
Jleigh8289
Registered Users
seller

I don't have any pain, thank goodness. I've been paying attention to letdown and she would do the pulling afterward. Never thought I would have too much milk! I don't know what it was but, everything is emresolcing again and we haven't had any trouble since then really. Thanks, mommas!
Jleigh8289 is offline   Reply With Quote