Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #11
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: First time breast feedng and have a few ?'s

It gets easier after another few weeks, hang in there!

To keep him awake while nursing, try undressing him down to his diaper, rubbing his back, tickling his toes, etc.

Advertisement

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
eskrojas
Registered Users
seller

I agree with everyone else that this is normal. But, I do think that you need to do your best to keep your LO awake enough to eat more. At his age, he really should be eating longer than 5 - 10 minutes. If you want to stick with BFing, continue waking him up, and try to limit formula.

I had an oversupply issue and had to pre-pump for the 1st month. I know that it is tough, but it is worth it in the end. Best of luck.
eskrojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
mrsmusic
Registered Users
seller

Looks like everyone has given you good advice. Definitely TOSS THE FORMULA and just put the bottles up for later. And always remember that pumping is not an indicator of your supply. Good luck.
Bri helpmeet to Chaise (9/10/11). Attachment parenting, no circ, no longer vaccinating, pro-life, Christian, homeschooling preemie mama to K (27wks on 2/17/07) AIH Type 1 with PSC overlap and M (33wks on 3/4/09) Gluten Freeand A (37 weeks! on 2/3/11)
Follow my blog: Music Notes
mrsmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:10 AM   #14
Maryclothdiapered
Registered Users

I just wanted to also encourage you that it is very normal for newborns to nurse so often. My dd was nursing for 10 minutes every 20-30 minutes. It was miserable. She would fall asleep and then as soon as I would lay her down she would wake up and want to nurse again. It was like she never napped during the day for than a few minutes. She didn't start going an hour or more without eating until 5 weeks. That is also when she started (mostly) sleeping through the night. Now at three months she frequently goes 2-3 hours and sometimes more between feedings. It definitely gets better.

I also could only get 1 or 2 ounces when pumping, but when a lactation consultant weighed her before and after feeding, it was clear she was getting 5-6 ounces in one feeding. So do not worry about not making enough milk based on pumping.

And ditto what others said about formula. Every time you sub formula for breastmilk, you are teaching your body to produce less.

Best of luck to you. You can do this.
Maryclothdiapered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:41 AM   #15
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekie View Post
Hey everyone, I am breastfeeding my 3 week old son and this is the first time for nursing for me so I have tons of questions lol and thought you ladies might be able to help me out. First off I feel like all I do is feed him, non stop all day. I can barely get him to go 2 hours between feedings and usually its closer to an hour but he only nurses for about 5-10 minutes and then falls asleep and as soon as I lay him down he wakes and wants to eat again and the same thing happens over and over. Last night I fed him and went to bed, he woke up 5 minutes later and my husband got him and couldn't do anything with him so he fed him 4 oz of breast milk that I had pumped and he still was hungry so he fed him 2 oz of formula and then he was content and could be and slept better than he usually does, 4 hours. I just feel like he is not getting satisfied with my milk, I know he is getting enough because of his wet and poopy diapers but I just feel like he isn't satisfied with that. Also when I pump I can barely get an oz or 2, could it be my supply is low? Any advice would be greatly appreciated TIA~
This all sounds totally normal. You have already gotten some good advice, but I also wanted to recommend that you read about the hormone cholecystokinin (CCK), which is what causes that nurse for a few minutes, fall asleep, then nurse again, then fall asleep again cycle. It doesn't mean you have low supply, or that your baby isn't satisfied. It is a normal hormonal cycle.

Also, be very careful with the bottles, particularly with such big bottles for such a little baby. 4 oz is a LOT, so 6 oz is a really lot! The danger is that you will stretch baby's stomach, so that he will then need more and more milk to get that "full" feeling. This may become harder and harder for you to satisfy through breastfeeding, and you may turn to formula supplementation more and more. It's a very slippery slope. If you must give a bottle, make it a smaller bottle and then give a pacifier for comfort sucking. Better though, would be to nurse baby if possible.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #16
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

hang in there! once you get past the first few weeks things will definitely calm down a bit. do you own a baby carrier? best way to get the baby to sleep! mine wouldn't sleep unless in-arms as well, we ended up getting a baby swing and SOMETIMES he liked that too. it's really touch-and-go.

my LLL group leader had a great point - think of the first 3 months as the 4th trimester. humans are born earlier and more unfinished than any other mammals because our brains are so big - imagine how difficult it would be to give birth to a baby at 12 months gestation! so those first 3 months, especially the first month, is ROUGH because your baby needs you 24/7. in the womb he got milk all the time, and wants the same now. just try to roll with it as best as you can, forget the formula, and follow you baby's cues. it WILL get better!!! good luck!
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #17
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also wanted to say any given baby needs a certian amount of calories in a 24 hour period, my theroy is feed then during the day every 2 hours so that they will go 3 hours or longer at night, when we all want to sleep.

So when my babies want to eat often during the day I just think, well maybe they will sleep well tonight
Old 01-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #18
RCKC333
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds normal to me! Breastfeeding is tough!! Just hang in there it will become so much easier and better once the both of you get the hang of it....just nurse on demand, the more your baby nurses the more you produce so try not to give any formula over nursing. Good luck!!
RCKC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #19
Lovely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just keep going mama, and I would cut the bottles for now. Constant breastfeeding in the beginning is the way your baby and your body establish your supply. 6 oz in a bottle for a 3 week old is FAR too much! Their tummy's can't handle that much food. It's like the feeling we get after eating a big Thanksgiving dinner and passing out. My baby is almost 5 months old and still nurses every 1.5-2 hrs during the day. But he sleeps through the night most nights now.

Just keep offering it and your supply will meet the demand.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #20
Lovely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, one more thing. At that age my DS fell asleep every nursing session too. The nurse told me to lightly flick the bottom of his feet when he starts drifting off. It's enough stimulation to get them going again.

Also, stroke his cheek...feed him while he's naked...and maybe a cool wipe to brush his face with. All of these tips will help keep him suckling at the breast.