Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #1
jackie010307
Registered Users
seller

Question about placenta and c-section......please help!!

I had my ultrasound and it seems that the placenta is covering the cervix, but not completely. My doc said it depends on how much it manages to move up, but I might have to have a c-section. I really do not want one!! Nothing against those who choose to have them, but I've had 3 back surgeries and would prefer to not be cut open again unless it's absoutely necessary!! Also, the thought of being awake during surgery is, well, terrifying!! Has anyone had a placenta that was covering part of the cervix at 20 weeks then moved up far enough to deliver vaginally? I have another u/s at 28 weeks (I think they scheduled it for more like 29 weeks though) to see what's going on!

Advertisement

Old 03-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
NaturalMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question about placenta and c-section......please help!!

With my son, my placenta was touching my cervix. There was a chance I wouldn't have been able to have him at the birth center where I go, and instead would have had to go to the hospital. We had an ultrasound at 20 weeks, which showed the "closeness", but it was completely fine by the follow up at 28 weeks. My midwives said that there are a lot of women who have this, they just don't know because you don't "catch it" unless there is an ultrasound. Its also common to have a low lying placenta in the first portion of pregnancy, because your uterus hasn't grown to its full size yet.

My guess is that you'll probably be fine. It might be different if it were covering your cervix completely, but since its only partial, I'd wait for the second u/s before getting too worried.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:30 AM   #3
hollydlr
Registered Users
seller

Ditto - low-lying placentas often move up out of the way as your uterus grows. Since its only partially over your cervix, I wouldn't worry too much yet - try to relax and see what happens by your follow up. You might consult a midwife to see if there is some type of non-invasive alternative thing you could try to help it - I don't know off the top of my head but I wouldn't be surprised if one of those wise women has a suggestion!
Old 03-17-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
For The Love Of Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: tmolly
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalMama View Post
With my son, my placenta was touching my cervix. There was a chance I wouldn't have been able to have him at the birth center where I go, and instead would have had to go to the hospital. We had an ultrasound at 20 weeks, which showed the "closeness", but it was completely fine by the follow up at 28 weeks. My midwives said that there are a lot of women who have this, they just don't know because you don't "catch it" unless there is an ultrasound. Its also common to have a low lying placenta in the first portion of pregnancy, because your uterus hasn't grown to its full size yet.

My guess is that you'll probably be fine. It might be different if it were covering your cervix completely, but since its only partial, I'd wait for the second u/s before getting too worried.
^ Yeah that! Same thing happened to me. I also had some spotting due to the placenta previa, but no other problems.! Had a Vbac!
For The Love Of Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:02 PM   #5
Mom2TJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my last baby, I found out when I was 19 weeks along that I had complete placenta previa. It took until I was 36 weeks along, but the placenta finally did move and I had a normal vaginal delivery.

My OB said the placenta moves out of the way 95% of the time. And since yours isn't completely covering the cervix, I'd say your odds are pretty good of it moving out of the way long before your baby is due.

Hopefully, by the time you have your next u/s, the placenta will already be out of the way!
Old 03-17-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
jackie010307
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the info!! Needless to say I didn't have a c-section with either of the boys! My next appt at my obs office is with the midwife that practices with them, so I will definately ask her!!
Old 03-17-2007, 01:27 PM   #7
NaturalMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good luck!
Old 03-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #8
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

at 20 weeks you have plenty of time for it to move up, goodluck mama
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:37 PM   #9
jackie010307
Registered Users
seller

Thanks again everyone! Like I said before, it's really having a c-section that I'm worried about, but as long as the baby is healthy then I'm ok with it (I think). I really hate surgeries though!