Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
Sherrie87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
TTC while BFing a toddler

my son is 2, he will be 3 in sept. We will be trying to concieve in about 2 months....how will me BFing his still affect me?

I have the 10 yeat IUD so no hormones to effect it. My son only BFs about 5 times a day...and maybe 2-3 more times at night. but the day nursings sessions are short and sweet but fot nap and bed it is 20-30 mins till i can get him unlatched while still staying asleep, we do co sleep do he can have the breast anytime at night,

so i was wondering how it could cause me not to get prego...giggle. i didn't no if it affected me with him ebign a toddler as much as him being a infant.

any pointers are great thank you so very much sherrie

Advertisement

Wife to Joey, 1-12-07 Mother to six , Britney 10/13/00, Jared 05/27/03, Hunter 05/10/04, Kimbery 10/26/06,Kole 09/05/08, Alaina 03/20/12 I CD of corse..:P, co-sleep, BFing,non-circumcising, baby wearing, pretty crunchy..:P Fan Page Come "like" Me.. My IHA/ISO I LOVE to trade.. Blog post of some stuff I can make you!..:P
Sherrie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
lalakiwi7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: TTC while BFing a toddler

Do you still have an IUD???? that will stop you from getting pregnant.....obviously ha

As far as the Bfing a toddler.... it may not affect you at all or it could take you "longer" than it has in the past.... or in my case so far (10 months of TTC) and still occasionally Bfing a toddler and still not pregnant even though it only took us one attempt with her and she will be two in May.

I just saw my doctor yesterday and she has a patient who BF's a three year old as BC and she still can't get pregnant unless she weans.... and he only Bf's ever few days.

My best friend on the other hand bf's her 17 month old literally every 3-4 hours still.... round the clock and she is 17 weeks pregnant so every woman is so different.

Hoping it doesn't take you long! Good luck!
Liesl-(like Sound of Music.) ER Nurse Practitioner part time. Full time wifey to my highschool sweetheart and mommy to DS-2006 (adopted) and DD-2009 (biobaby). We love Jesus! Until the day we meet again missing our three babies 7/2011;11/2011; DS-7/2012. THANKFUL to be After 3 years and 3 losses with our #2 biobaby RAINBOW IT"S A BOY!! Expected 8/2013
lalakiwi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well it depends on a lot of things.

Firstly you are correct that him being an older child means that it is less likely to affect you than a newborn. This is because his sessions are probably much shorter at the breast so less time bfing = more fertility. Secondly, are you having regular cycles? If your period is normal it is encouraging. However, I would strongly suggest charting your cycles to see if you are ovulating and if the period from when you ovulate to when your period starts is long enough (the luteal phase), longer than 10 days to sustain a pregnancy. I would say that if your cycles look normal than bfing is not very likely going to affect your chances of getting pregnant. However it could take a little longer to conceive if your cycles are still affected by bfing. Since you have two months before you want to try, why not try temping a cycle and using fertilityfriend.com to chart so that you can have some idea if your cycles are looking normal or not? Then you would know if you might need to cut down on bfing a little. However in general I would say at this age it is usually not such a huge problem to fall pregnant again.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
Sherrie87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my cyckles are right on and i can tell when i'm ovulating cause i lightly cramp, 11 or 12 days after is start..giggle..wellt hat is great to know that it probly wont affect it or will slightly but not majorly

giggle..hahaha yes the IUD has to come out...LOL

thank you ladyes for your replys...
Wife to Joey, 1-12-07 Mother to six , Britney 10/13/00, Jared 05/27/03, Hunter 05/10/04, Kimbery 10/26/06,Kole 09/05/08, Alaina 03/20/12 I CD of corse..:P, co-sleep, BFing,non-circumcising, baby wearing, pretty crunchy..:P Fan Page Come "like" Me.. My IHA/ISO I LOVE to trade.. Blog post of some stuff I can make you!..:P
Sherrie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Vegan Princess
Registered Users
seller

You just never know until you try. I ended up weaning my daughter at 20.5 months. Even down to 2 nursings/day, when I had my hormones tested by my GYN, they came back completely out of whack. Since weaning I had them restested and they are back to normal. So after 6 months of trying with no luck and then seeing my hormone results, it was obvious that I was one of the mamas that would likely never conceive while nursing. I think women like me are the minority though, according to my doctor.

Good luck!

Cindy