Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2011, 02:35 AM   #1
TheDiaperDude
Registered Users

Help my Wife! Issues with Unhappy Baby after lots of hospital drama with my wife

I will try to keep it shorter. My wife and I have a 9 week old baby. My wife had a postpartum hemorrhage and a stay in the ICU after her nonmedicated beautiful birth. DD spent her first days in nursery where I would visit and they fed her tons of formula since my wife was unable to even see her and was just focusing on recovering from her 4 liters of blood loss over the 2 days and transfusions. After so much blood loss my wife had a hard time producing milk.

One month later after using the S&S ? from medela and also having to supplement with a bottle for a couple ounces a day under recommendation from our lactation consultant and pediatrician my wife started bleeding heavily and after a paramedic ride and another night in the hospital we had milk supply issues again.

Now surprisingly the milk seems to have almost caught up... we rented the hospital symphony pump and the babyweigh scale. I weigh her as many times as possible before and after feeds.

She is gaining an ounce a day and we supplement with 8 ounces by slow flowing bottle a day. We just converted to 100% breastmilk and hope it is sustainable because I am sick of cutting it with that formula she was 7lbs 11 oz at birth and is now at 10lbs 8oz with most of the gain in the last 3 weeks after getting the babyweigh scale.

Here's the problem. DD feeds for an hour at a time and takes in approximately one ounce at a feeding. My wife pumps approximately 2 3/4 ounce 3 times a day. DD sleeps in our bed now and nibbles and snacks all night long. She must take in a lot or how else is she gaining weight??? The problem is she gets really upset on the breast. My wife is such a trooper and is sticking with it but DD barely drinks from her and we have to give her the bottle also (4 a day at 2oz each). She is not fussy at night while have asleep but she just seems to graze then. She is awful with the bottle too and ends up getting frustrated sometimes when the bottle is near empty.

We would be so happy just to be able to EBF and my wife is showing signs of fatigue after pumping and feeding constantly for the last month.

Help our DD learn how to feed. My wife had been to 3 different lactation consultants and I feel my wife is going to want to exclusively pump if this goes on to much longer. I don't blame her as she is working so darn hard and the payoff is one frustrated daughter.

Thanks all!!!

Advertisement

TheDiaperDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:19 AM   #2
Barbarap
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help my Wife! Issues with Unhappy Baby after lots of hospital drama with my wife

Hugs to both of you! can;'t offer any help on getting her back on the breast really.

DS#1 was in the NICU for 6 days at birth and combined with another factor I started exclusively pumping at 6 weeks.

DS#2 has also ended up EBF by pumping. It is not the worst thing that can happen. Your daughter is still getting breastmilk and not having formula.

I do wish I had the nursing bond with both of them but I'm happy with NO formula, personally.
Barbarap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:55 AM   #3
hlaverdiere
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help my Wife! Issues with Unhappy Baby after lots of hospital drama with my wife

I'm wondering if babywearing would help to increase the bonding time. It couldn't hurt to try. There is a babywearing section on diaperswappers where you could purchase a mei tai, baby k'tan, sling, etc. to try. The Baby K'tan can be bought for around $30 secondhand, so would be less expensive and I've found mine easy to use for nursing and very comfortable. Baby may eventually become too heavy for it, but I personally prefer over a sling since you can also wear on both shoulders, more comfortable for mom. The very best of luck to you, I know pumping is hard work as I do that 2x a day at work for little girl.
hlaverdiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:35 AM   #4
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Could she be fussy at the breast because she gets so much foremilk by just grazing instead of having a big LONG nursing session and getting more hindmilk? The bottle milk may taste more satisfying if it was pumped because fore and hind milk are mixed and therefore the fat is present in every sip, not just the end ones.

My DDs had issues with flow rate, too. Apparently they got too much too quickly from the breast when letdown occurred. One chose to bite down to slow it, one chose to dribble it out the side of her mouth. Perhaps letdown is affecting your DD's ability to enjoy nursing if she's used to the slower flow from the bottle.

Just a couple of ideas, but I hope they help.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:40 AM   #5
MaeghanAlyson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try to find a local lactation consultant. Also try this http://forums.llli.org/ there are tons of lactation consultants on that site that are willing to help more than alot of us can here. I hope you can find something to help.
MaeghanAlyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:24 AM   #6
Dean7698
Registered Users
seller

All the mama's suggestions are great and I can't think of much to tell you. I did think of one thing though,if you find it's a issue with a strong letdown tell her she can hand express some milk(have a towel close if you chose this) or pump for like a minute or two before you latch the baby,that way when she latches the milk is still coming out but at a slower rate. I had a lactation consultant tell me this as I have a strong letdown also. Hope this helps! Hang in there,things will get better!
Sarah Wife to Patrick,Mama to DD #1 12/14/2001,DD #2 08/04/2003,DD #3 12/28/2008, and DD #4 October 10,2010
Dean7698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #7
knlrachel
Registered Users
seller

My son is that way at the breast - well he was until we switched to block feeding (nurse on one side for a couple of feedings in a row). I had an imbalance and it led to green poops and a fussy baby. He is doing better now (1.5 weeks in). Now, if he gets fussy at the breast, I know he needs to burp and can resume the feeding. GL!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 07:22 AM   #8
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sometimes heavy bleeding PP canbe a sign that placenta is left and that keeps your milk from coming in, as the plecenta leaving the body is what tells us to mak emilk, so maybe when she had that heavy bleeding it finally left and that is why the milkcame in after that. Or it could have just been like you said...dehydration and fategue from the blood lose.

Is your LC liscensed? IBLCE is the way to go when seeking help from a LC, either way I think talking to a new one who is liscensed they might give you some new insight, that would be the next thing I would do. Also Le LEche League meetings just for support fromother mammas. Men are not usually welsome at these meeting as new mommies are trying to nurse and they are still ...weird about nursing around daddies, lol!

Also it sounds like baby may have a bit of a lazy suck if it takes her that long to eat and a LC could help with that diagnosis. Also breast compressions while baby is nursing cna help the milk come down and out faster so baby can get more.

Have you been to www.kellymom.com there are tons of great articles and resourced on that site.

I agree with wearing baby and I would have her and baby skin to skin, no shirt on baby or mom while wearing insomething like a Mobywrap, so that baby and she can cuddle and bond. Kangaroo care is wonderful for all babies.

I agree with fussy may just mean burp.

The Breastflow bottles have helped several mom's I know who have had babies that are having a hard time nursing so back to the breast. Something to look into.

Can she also cuddle a few times a day right now in the bed with baby ans see if she nurses well while laying down relaxed and cuddling. Maybe the rest will help mom too.

Maybe a nurse in where mom does nothing but nurse baby for 2-3 days in bed with food and drinks brought to her and tons of movies or books, increasing mom's supply, bonding with baby and encouraging her to just nurse. 2-3 days without supplements wouldn't be a huge deal and sinceyou can weight her you could see how she was doing.

I think maybe weight her on day one, put mom and baby to bed and only weight each morning, no stress, no pressure to preform for mom and baby will be fine not being weighted at each feed.
That kind of stress can make mom make less milk at each feed. That may be why she pumps more milk then baby seems to be getting. Milk is as much mental as it is physical.

GOod luck and let us know how things are doing.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #9
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh and block feeding can distroy a good supply if you don't have an oversupply, so I don't recommend that.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakewright View Post
oh and block feeding can distroy a good supply if you don't have an oversupply, so I don't recommend that.
I agree with this. I was told to block feed and it was not a good thing.
Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote