Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
sunyflwr
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help my Wife! Issues with Unhappy Baby after lots of hospital drama with my wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakewright View Post
Also it sounds like baby may have a bit of a lazy suck if it takes her that long to eat and a LC could help with that diagnosis. Also breast compressions while baby is nursing cna help the milk come down and out faster so baby can get more.
I agree with the breast compressions!! Start having your wife do those. Babies aren't "lazy" persay, but if the flow of milk is slow, they often get sleepy or fussy/frustrated and stop BFing well. Plus, if babies are introduced to a bottle right away, they get used to the flow of a bottle. BFing is more "work" and a totally different type of sucking, so your baby might be getting frustrated at breast because of previously and continually being bottle fed.

Here are GREAT videos to check out to see if you can identify what kind of latch/drinking your baby is doing at breast: http://www.drjacknewman.com/video-clips.asp

The whole Dr Jack Newman website is really a great resource IMO: http://www.drjacknewman.com/breastfeeding-help.asp

I am a testiment to the fact that you CAN successfully BF for a year even if your LO has a bad latch. My DD never learned how to latch properly, and even now she still has a shallow latch. My nipples were extremely sore for much longer than is normal, but they eventually got used to it. So even if the latch might not seem perfect, have your wife stick with BFing.

It sounds like your DD is gaining enough weight that you shouldn't be concerned about continuing to weigh her. I would say that you should put the scale away and let mom and baby do their thing for a while. Also, try putting the bottle away too. If your DD has only one way of getting food (by breast), she will learn to accept the breast better if you stop giving her alternatives (by bottle).

HTH!

Advertisement

Last edited by sunyflwr; 01-13-2011 at 11:39 AM.
sunyflwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #12
inhomecare
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help my Wife! Issues with Unhappy Baby after lots of hospital drama with my wife

Have you had the baby evaluated for tongue or lip tie. Sounds like she is fussy because she isn't getting enough transfer.

I also second breast compressions and having a nurse-in for a few days. Also look up laid back breastfeeding and bathing with the baby. Lots of time mamas get so caught up on the technique that the latch is just not right. Do you have a LLL nearby that can come over and spend an hour or two with you to help evaluate everything. They can be much more supportive than an LC in an office setting. I hope everything works out for you! Feel free to pm me for me help. I am a LLL leader