Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can OPKs be wrong?

Can some woman O and not have it register on an OPK?

I know I am just getting impatient here, but I've never done OPKs in the past. I started using them recently to track my first PP ovulation. I am charting too, so I guess it will remain to be seen about my temps (although I am night nursing still, so not sure exactly how correct the temps are). I have been feeling like I am gearing up to O the past couple days. . .but no + OPK. In fact, two days ago, I had one about half as dark as the control like which is as dark as I've ever seen it and I thought it would keep getting darker. But the past two days it's gotten lighter again, even though my temps have been steady and I have continued to have EWCM.

What do you think? I guess I'm wondering how much to rely on the OPK. Is it positive or nothing or can you get an idea of impending O from watching it grow darker day by day?

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
z1ggy23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can OPKs be wrong?

It depends on how often you test and how long your LH surge is (in general they can last 12-36 hours). You can have your surge and miss picking it up on an OPK if, for example, oyu only test every 24 hours.
It is positive or nothing. Though, some people (myself included) DO get a "lead up" with the OPKs darkening, not everyone does. It can also stay "almost positive" for a few days backoff and and then get darker again. This could also mean that your body geared up to O and then didn't for some reason and is now trying again.

Last edited by z1ggy23; 01-13-2011 at 04:10 PM.
z1ggy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Clothobsessed2010
Registered Users
seller

It is possible for the opk not to detect ovulation. I remember reading it in the instruction pamphlet. Don't remember all the details, but it's possible!
Clothobsessed2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I thought of the possibility of missing the surge, but that was 2 days ago and since I haven't had a thermal shift and my CM hasn't dried up I don't think that's it. I just really expected to see a + today as I've been feeling some O pains. I'd like to think that I know my body better than a stick, but maybe not. Then again I've never been BFing or PP before so its a whole new game. And the game seems to be all about waiting. . .blech.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
z1ggy23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The The OPK would show + 12-36 hours before O and your CM could take up to 3 days AFTER 0 to dry up... the thermal shift, however, is pretty telling.