Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
mainlobster101
Registered Users
seller
seller

So Frustrated and Ready to Give Up!

My daughter is 4.5 months right now and I'm so discouraged and ready to give up breastfeeding. Here is a little bit of history:

Within the first couple of weeks of her birth, I met with a lactation consultant twice to work out her latch and positioning. We determined that I have vasospasms that cause pain with each feeding. Fast forward to about 2 months old... we go to the doc and she was only 1oz more than her birth weight. My supply wasn't up enough so we had to supplement with formula quite a bit. I did everything I could to get my supply up and finally resorted to Domperidone from the internet which I am still currently taking. I would feed her, top her off with formula, then pump at each feeding and that was incredibly time consuming. All that, combined with teas, herbs, etc, barely boosted my supply so I'm glad to have Domperidone as an option.

Now, for the past 2 or 3 weeks she has been squirmy while eating and sucking just on my nipple and pulling it with her mouth. I have tried correcting her latch but its not working. She pulls off and then latches back on multiple times during each feeding. I also have to give her both sides (sometimes more than once) so both nipples are incredibly abused and painful after each feeding.

I planned on breastfeeding for a year but with all of these issues and the money I am spending on Domperidone, I am ready to give up. Any advice? I feel selfish for wanting to stop but its just really getting to me.

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
bbraymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: So Frustrated and Ready to Give Up!

Around this age, baby's ca become very distractible. They are becoming very aware of the world around them and eating just isn't as fun! You can try a dark room, a nursing necklace, a toy. Keep going momma, it's really worth it.

don't quit on your worst day
bbraymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
Guccimouse
Registered Users
seller

My little one will be 4 months in a week and she does the same thing. Suck a little, look a little suck a little look a little. And yes it can get quite frustrating. Right now to try and keep her mouth towards me I will stick a beanie baby under my chin to give her something to look at (apparently my face isn't enough). You can also try laying down in bed with her where it's quiet and semi dark to lessen the distractions.

You're efforts will be rewarded, keep up the hard and good work momma, and you'll look back at this time and only remember the good =)

Last edited by Guccimouse; 01-13-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: grammar errors
Guccimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
bobbyjk
Registered Users

My Mood:

My LO is 3 months and we are going through what u are describing . We've never had a problem with BF, so it is difficult now that she is super squirmy and keeps popping on and off...most research I've done says it's normal at this age (growth spurts to boot) and like bbraymom said, they are more easily distracted at this time. Where you think you are having problems...you might actually just be right on track with everythin-, even if it is the hard parts!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
bparker
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had such a hard time nursing, but told myself I had to stick with it. I was bleeding and so sore. I ended up nursing for a whole year! Just keep trying! You can do it!
bparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
SignOfTheFishBurger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I suffer from vasospasms too- did you get a Rx for niphedipine from your doc? Most Mom's only need to be on it for 2-3 weeks and it clears it right up. I had to deal with it with both my kiddos. I know how painful that is :hug:
SignOfTheFishBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
SupernovaLA
Registered Users
seller

Yikes, so sorry to hear about this. Yeah, mine can do that too at times and it is so painful. I have been BFing for 3 months now and it has yet to be truly comfortable. When he gets distracted I sometimes lay a burp cloth over him so he doesnt look around. It is sort of see through so its not like he is isolated.
SupernovaLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
juliebrave
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know breast milk is best, but really, if the nursing becomes so uncomfortable for you that you really want to stop, it is ok to do so. Your daughter will grow and thrive eating formula. We all have ideas about how everything will be and really things rarely happen the way we plan. And it is ok. It isn't best for you or your daughter to be stressed and unhappy. Do what you need to do for your peace of mind and your sweet baby will be good, too.
juliebrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:22 PM   #9
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ible-baby.html

Maybe this will help
Old 01-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #10
lovely_serendipity
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The kellymom.com article above is good...it let's u know that it is just a norm problem
lovely_serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote