Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
fast flow

So i think our issue (one of them) with my daughter is my milk comes out too fast and so that is one of the reasons she spits up so much. This isn't just letdown this is the entire time.

Is there a position that i can try to prevent this or something else?

Advertisement

eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
bbraymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: fast flow

You can use the football hold or the Australian hold (I think that's what it's called). Just make sure her head is above the flow
bbraymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
lovetocloth
Registered Users
seller

I have the same problem. My DS is now 4 months old and we have a general management. Yet he still will choke and gag every so often. At least now he can hold down a meal versus barely making it through the feeding! I have found only nursing on one side has helped quite a bit. But he was still yaking up most of what he was eating, therefore he wasn't a very happy baby. Not to mention all the acid coming up with it was burning his esophagus. This excessive spitting up also caused him to not sleep for very long periods of time. We ended up having to sleep him on his tummy (which made me nervous!) Although it helped him to sleep longer because it helped him to not spit up. Also he wasn't gagging himself when he did. We tried some homeopathic approaches and nothing worked. We finally put him on Zantac and we have a 360 degree turnaround. He is sleeping better and holding things down. At least I am not changing him....and me 3 to four times a day anymore! I hope this helps, I ws up for anything when we started the struggle with our littlest one! (We have 5!)
lovetocloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetocloth View Post
I have the same problem. My DS is now 4 months old and we have a general management. Yet he still will choke and gag every so often. At least now he can hold down a meal versus barely making it through the feeding! I have found only nursing on one side has helped quite a bit. But he was still yaking up most of what he was eating, therefore he wasn't a very happy baby. Not to mention all the acid coming up with it was burning his esophagus. This excessive spitting up also caused him to not sleep for very long periods of time. We ended up having to sleep him on his tummy (which made me nervous!) Although it helped him to sleep longer because it helped him to not spit up. Also he wasn't gagging himself when he did. We tried some homeopathic approaches and nothing worked. We finally put him on Zantac and we have a 360 degree turnaround. He is sleeping better and holding things down. At least I am not changing him....and me 3 to four times a day anymore! I hope this helps, I ws up for anything when we started the struggle with our littlest one! (We have 5!)
even nursing just one side, she still spits up a lot. She does have reflux, but because of a dairy/soy issue. (im going through the elimination diet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbraymom View Post
You can use the football hold or the Australian hold (I think that's what it's called). Just make sure her head is above the flow
what is the australian hold?
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
bbraymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Basically, recline FAR FAR FAR back and let baby latch on top of you. Babe may roll to one side but you want babe to be on top of your body. I'll try to find a good photo
Old 01-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
bbraymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.breastfeeding-mom.com/how-to-breastfeed.html
Old 01-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
lovetocloth
Registered Users
seller

OH..I did that too..NO dairy for me! That is so tough! It really bothers him. I so share your pain!! It was so sad for me to watch him suffer and me not know what I was doing or could do! It wasn't until we started on one side, with Zantac and No dairy that we began a smoother road. He has now been on it for 2 months and we feel some success. Now... we still have episodes of ridiculous reflux but I don't complain too much I really hope things start to look up for you. I know what it feels like. Best wishes!
lovetocloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
majors3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

not sure what the Australian hold is, but I always had to nurse laying back until my milk stopped being so forceful. I also had to block feed, meaning I would only feed on one side for a given amount of time even up to the minute (2 hours worked for me, but I have heard people having to go 6 or 8 hours on one side!) This will decrease your supply though, so you need to make sure that this is your problem. It will get better though, trying these things. My first DD also had a milk allergy. She cried ALL the time for the first 4 months and was just an unhappy baby. Once we got both those things figured out she was SO much happier. Eventually, as she got older and it took longer for me to have a let down, she actually got frustrated that she wasn't drowning in milk
majors3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
bbraymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ds still spits up if I have any higher protien containing dairy products (cheese). He does ok with cream cheese and sour cream and he's over 8 months old. ODS did it too until around 9 months old.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
SignOfTheFishBurger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It could be a ton of different things.

If it is just the flow, I suggest trying nursing her in a laying back/reclined position so it slows the flow for her (check out laid back nursing: http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/index.html)

Another thing you can do is apply gentle pressure with the palm of your hand on the top of your breast to help lessen the flow.

Have you tried block feeding at all? Choose a set time and only nurse on that side. So say 3 hours... let baby nurse as much as they want from one side only for that 3 hour period. Once the period is up switch sides. It will also help if there is a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance (some mom's do 2 feedings in a row on one side, but I personally prefer a chunk of time...)

Another thing you might consider is doing lots of mini feeds. I have to do this with DS. He eats about 20 times a day (can be tiring) but for not much longer than 3-5 minutes. When I started that his spitup really eased up.

I have a super over supply and overactive letdown and I can relate.

Another thing to look at could be an intolerance to dairy/wheat/caffiene/soy/nuts. Those are typical sensitivities in babies.
SignOfTheFishBurger is offline   Reply With Quote