Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: fast flow

Originally Posted by SignOfTheFishBurger View Post
It could be a ton of different things.

If it is just the flow, I suggest trying nursing her in a laying back/reclined position so it slows the flow for her (check out laid back nursing:

Another thing you can do is apply gentle pressure with the palm of your hand on the top of your breast to help lessen the flow.

Have you tried block feeding at all? Choose a set time and only nurse on that side. So say 3 hours... let baby nurse as much as they want from one side only for that 3 hour period. Once the period is up switch sides. It will also help if there is a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance (some mom's do 2 feedings in a row on one side, but I personally prefer a chunk of time...)

Another thing you might consider is doing lots of mini feeds. I have to do this with DS. He eats about 20 times a day (can be tiring) but for not much longer than 3-5 minutes. When I started that his spitup really eased up.

I have a super over supply and overactive letdown and I can relate.

Another thing to look at could be an intolerance to dairy/wheat/caffiene/soy/nuts. Those are typical sensitivities in babies.
i work so i pump 3x at the office and then when i get home she gets me. I let her feed on one breast only at each feeding and then switch.
I get knots too easily to go longer than 3hours without nursing or pumping. I don't have an oversupply issue at all.

My left side i can get 3oz pumping and my right i can get between 1 1/2-2oz pumping. My letdown is hard and fast though. I have done the pumping to get past the letdown and then latched her, but she still spits/vomits up. She will also spit up while she is eating and will continue to suck.

Yes, my first had MSPI and we think she does too, so i am doing the elimination diet by Dr. Sears. (im still in the 1st 2wks)

DanielP:04-10-07 ASPERGERS~DouglasG:07-18-08 AUTISTIC~11-12-09
IsaBella:11-03-10 UC (IBD)~12-04-11~02-07-12
ISO-girl/gn: trainers, girls: 4yr/5t fall/winter clothes, boys: 6yr lined wind pants, 8yr sweat pants
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
Registered Users
Re: fast flow

I had this issue as well, We eventually put DS on meds for reflux and that has helped him be more comfy. Also, I only ever feed off one breast per feeding. I also had to block feed for about a week to get it to chill out.
SupernovaLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: fast flow is a FANTASTIC resource. go here:

this cured nearly all our spit up problems.

I've found a position that works great for us. I sit up in a chair or couch, and only recline a little bit. Baby then straddles my thigh with her legs and lies on my breast. So, she is also sitting up quite a bit, and leaning forward onto my chest, that way she is "on top" of the breast. We are parallel to each other instead of perpendicular like most nurse with the boppy, etc. She still chokes occasionally, but there is not the spit up throughout the entire day like we had before.
rachelmaria is offline   Reply With Quote