Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
BusyPAMommy
Registered Users
seller

Anyone cook primarily with coconut oil?

Have been reading a lot about its health benefits, and my husband wants us to use it, but I have a much subtler palate than he does and I'm worried about food tasting like coconut. What has your experience been?

Advertisement

Old 09-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
Blessedmama777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone cook primarily with coconut oil?

I have used coconut oil in some cooking before. It does give a bit of a "coconut flavor", but in some dishes that is not a bad thing. Experiment and see what you like!
Blessedmama777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
mtwist
Registered Users
seller

When you are cooking with it (I've only baked with it), the smell is much stronger. Once cooked into the food, it is far less intense. In some foods, it's more intense than others. IVe used it in cookies, it's not really a coconut taste but just different than using regular oil. I would say try it, if you can't handle it then there are like a 100 things you can with coconut around the house.
mtwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I found one on amazon that doesn't have a strong coconut flavor. In fact, that was one of the complaints about it. For me, it was a selling point. I didn't want everything to smell and taste of coconut. To me it doesn't smell at all like coconut. It is the Jarrow Formulas Coconut Oil. Says it has a Neutral Taste and Neutral flavor. I think it is accurate. I don't think it was any cheaper than any of the local brands but again I was looking for something that would not impart a coconut smell or taste to everything I cooked.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

This is what I bought.http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20 It is now on sale too making it cheaper than our local brands. That being the case I am going to go ahead and order more now. Glad you asked this question as I wasn't going to order more just yet. I used Amazon Prime for free shipping and subscribe and save to get 20% off of the sale price for a total of $11.19 for 32oz making it cheaper than locally sold Coconut oil. To get the 20% off I just did a subscribe and save on the coconut oil 5 times. so I am getting a total of 10lbs. For us though I am needing dairy substitutes for our dairy intolerant son. I need it to be affordable for us all to go relatively dairy free as at 3 years old he just doesn't understand why he cannot have what the other kids are having. This makes it easier to just make the same thing for everyone. Less work for me too.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 09-18-2014 at 01:47 PM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
mjsteensgard
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use coconut oil quite frequently around our home as I am dairy sensitive. But, we do not use it in everything...some things just taste better with real butter. I would suggest getting some and trying it out. There are some recipes that it is more obvious in. We found though that we actually liked the subtle coconut sweetness in things we didn't expect that we would. We now always cook our popcorn in coconut oil!
mjsteensgard is offline   Reply With Quote