Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #71
hsleonard
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homemade Thread

I posted this in our original "what do you make from scratch thread, but i thought i'd try it here as well
Anyone know how to make anything like the toddler "puffs" that Gerber makes? I Know cheerios are a great fingerfood that I can give instead, but my DD and DS love the Gerber banana flavored puffs and they are so easy to chew.

Advertisement

Thirty-one gifts
Come swag with me!!! I have earned over $100 in amazon gift cards so far
Zycon Foods -"saving money on high-quality food products."
hsleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #72
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsleonard View Post
I posted this in our original "what do you make from scratch thread, but i thought i'd try it here as well
Anyone know how to make anything like the toddler "puffs" that Gerber makes? I Know cheerios are a great fingerfood that I can give instead, but my DD and DS love the Gerber banana flavored puffs and they are so easy to chew.
I have no idea but I will research it for you by the way, you never told us if you liked the homemade fruit roll ups?!
Old 01-29-2011, 10:56 PM   #73
Madalyn
Registered Users
seller

Dumb question: So many of these require a food processor which I don't have. Is the pulse feature on my blender similar enough to the pulse on a food processor?
Old 01-30-2011, 05:57 AM   #74
hsleonard
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madalyn View Post
Dumb question: So many of these require a food processor which I don't have. Is the pulse feature on my blender similar enough to the pulse on a food processor?
I use the liquefy button on mine, I have a food processor but I make most of my baby food in the blender, mainly because its on the counter and I don't have to take it out and set it up, also I find cleaning it easier than the food processor. The only thing that you may have to do is do smaller amounts at a time or add more liquid.
I just did some sweet potatoes and it worked great!!!!
Thirty-one gifts
Old 01-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #75
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madalyn View Post
Blenders are fine if you have a lot of liquid in the recipe you are working with. On the cracker recipes and stuff where you end up with a stiff dough, a blender will get bound up and not be able to pull the ingredients down to blend well enough. For that a food processor can't be beat.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #76
hsleonard
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I use the liquefy button on mine, I have a food processor but I make most of my baby food in the blender, mainly because its on the counter and I don't have to take it out and set it up, also I find cleaning it easier than the food processor. The only thing that you may have to do is do smaller amounts at a time or add more liquid.
I just did some sweet potatoes and it worked great!!!!
Sorry I just realized that you were not just talking about baby food (such mom brain I thought this was another post) so I take back what i said unless you need to puree something.
Thirty-one gifts
Old 01-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #77
Madalyn
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
Blenders are fine if you have a lot of liquid in the recipe you are working with. On the cracker recipes and stuff where you end up with a stiff dough, a blender will get bound up and not be able to pull the ingredients down to blend well enough. For that a food processor can't be beat.
Boo I was asking because I wanted to do the cheese cracker recipe. I'm going to attempt it anyways and see how bad it turns out lol! Maybe I can convince DH to buy me a food processor. I've never really had much use for one before. He's been wanting to make homemade salsa. I made it tonight in the blender but it was more liquidy (but definitely still yummy and edible) than I'd hoped and I think a food processor would have done much better for that too.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #78
tmrobinson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany89 View Post
What kind of beer do you use? Will miller lite work with it?

This looks good. It reminds me an irish soda bread recipe that I used to make a lot. I will have to post that one too as it was very yummy with tea.
We buy the Beer Bread mix from Tastefully Simple and the best is Yuengling. I've tried other cheaper beers but my dh (the beer bread snob) by far prefers it with Yuengling.

Quote:
Do you think the wheat germ in the granola bars is really necessary? I don't even know what it is, I've seen it but never bought it. Do you think it would change much if I left it out?

Love those crinkle brownies! They look sooo good
Wheat germ isn't necessary but it is good for you and you should be able to find it by the oatmeal in pretty much any grocery store.

Quote:
More! I made a list of things to look for to homemake. Should I go through and list all of the links on post #1 for easy reference?

Homemade Ricotta Cheese (looks soo easy I can't wait to try to make it!)

Parmesan Cheez-Its

Homemade Sour Cream (Very simple looking!)

Marshmallows!

Another recipe for homemade almond milk (I am really wanting to try to make this - is almond milk good?)

Pickles!

My oldest stopped drinking milk one day and I switched her ot Almond milk and she drinks that no problem. I buy the Vanilla flavored and it's really pretty good. The unflavored isn't something I would drink but I use it for cooking no problem. I didn't read the recipe but if you do try to make it you have to be careful about the almonds. Any that you find in a grocery store probably aren't going to work, I can't remember why, but they've been treated or something and they won't produce milk. You usually have to buy them in bulk from a wholesaler to get ones that will make milk.

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

I am beginning to realize that if you keep a pantry of certain items on hand, you can make a lot of things! Who knew..
Quote:
So I want to make my own yogurt, but the process seems to intimidating. any suggestions? Does a yogurt maker simplify thing?
I make it in my crock pot with no problem. A yogurt maker will probably simplify things but it really isn't necessary unless you want one.

tmrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #79
sugar_booger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh my goodness... the goldfish crackers are SOOOO tasty! I didn't have a fish cutter, so they are tiny, cheesy, teddy bears I will roll the dough thinner next time though, they are quite puffy and not entirely cracker consistency, but the taste is phenomenal. I'll be trying some different cheddar next time, for fun!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #80
emkeegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

this is seriously awesome - I just printed off a few of these recipes and put them into the idea book. just started making the goldfish - made the dough. i was planninh making them into little squares

anyone have a recipe for "wheat thins"?