Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
PinkSapphire87
Registered Users
seller

Nursing bras are a serious headache! I'm so getting angry!

Iím seriously getting very frustrated with nursing bras. Iíve tried on almost every bra in the destination maternity store (basically every motherhood and pea in a pod bra) and I wasnít satisfied with any of them. I went to target to look at nursing bras and I wasnít happy there either. So I started looking online, and I have ordered the victorias secret one, two bravado ones, and a few from bare necessities.

I was way excited when my bare necessities package arrived today, I thought I would finally have some nursing bras. None of them worked. First I tried Meringue Soft Cup Nursing Bra by Cake Lingerie. I HATED it, it was scratchy, the band was too tight, and the cups were HUGE. Next was Stretch Microfiber Underwire by Anita, I ordered this by mistake but tried it on anyways. The bra was soft, but again the cups seemed big, and I didnít want underwire. The next two are by Elle Macpherson Intimates the Momamia wire-free nursing bra, and Maternelle maternity bra. I was not impressed especially with lofty $58 and $55 price tags respectively. The Momamia fit all right, but again the band felt tight, and scratchy. Maybe tight isnít the word that Iím looking for but restrictive? I measure a 36 so I donít think the band size is the problem. But I liked the Momamia, but for $58 I really want to LOVE it, not just keep it because it fits nice in the cups. The bra is pretty, but I donít love the fit. The maternelle was cute, but the cups were big again. Also the band felt tight, restrictive, and itchy.

I still have the two bravado and victorias secret bras coming to try soon, so maybe there is hope yet.

The bra that I currently wear is by maidenform called one fabulous fit decadence t-shirt bra. The cups fit well, the band is stretchy and comfortable. The material is so silky soft I often forget Iím wearing a bra. Iím not sure I could wear these nursing bras for extended periods of time. I cannot even think about having my milk come in, and wearing one of the bras I tried on today.

I wish they made this bra without underwire and in a nursing bra. Iíve looked at a few articles that talk about converting non nursing bras to nursing bras. Iím seriously thinking about going that route. I will have spent way too much money on shipping and return shipping after this is all over with.

Does anyone have any experience with converting bras to nursing bras?

I just want something that is comfortable, soft, and wearable. After ordering nursing bras that cost up to $65 each! I will try anything to find something that really works. I may make a trip to macys and try a bunch of non underwire bras on and try to figure out some that will work well converted to nursing bras.

I plan on looking for something like this.

And hope that it will easily be able to move out of the way for nursing.

Advertisement

Breastfeeding, babywearing, fully vaxing, attachment parenting, still in school, forever studying, and burning the candle at both ends but loving life and enjoying my girls!
PinkSapphire87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
jasminegrl
Registered Users

Re: Nursing bras are a serious headache! I'm so getting angry!

i bought this one from motherhood cuz it was the only one i could find that was comfortable they had more sizes available at the store then what is available online. I love it DD is now 13 months and still nursing and its still my go to bra. http://www.motherhood.com/Product.as...tegory_Id=MC29
Old 01-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
PinkSapphire87
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminegrl View Post
i bought this one from motherhood cuz it was the only one i could find that was comfortable they had more sizes available at the store then what is available online. I love it DD is now 13 months and still nursing and its still my go to bra. http://www.motherhood.com/Product.as...tegory_Id=MC29
It looks like it would be comfortable, but I didn't see it in our destination maternity store. Too bad they don't have more sizes online. Grrr.

Breastfeeding, babywearing, fully vaxing, attachment parenting, still in school, forever studying, and burning the candle at both ends but loving life and enjoying my girls!
PinkSapphire87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
genieinabottle
Registered Users
seller

Hi, I have nursed my first son until 21 months and now nursing a 3 month old, so I have been wearing nursing bras for over 2.5 yrs now! Motherhood bras are terrible. Your best bet is a stretchy one that grows with you. Have you ever tried Bravado? I have 4 of them, and they are awesome because they accomodate a changing breast size. I never did like microfiber for nursing (that was my Motherhood one) because it doesn't change size with you. My favorite is the Bravado Body Silk:
http://www.bravadodesigns.com/shop/t...ss-nursing-bra

It is truly awesome. And try this website for bras: www.breakoutbras.com They have great prices and an awesome return policy.

Good luck!
genieinabottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
tinkerbellesarah
Registered Users
seller

Get something forgiving like a Bravado now and then wait until your milk comes in and has adjusted before you buy. I bought bras that fit while I was pregnant and had to buy again after I had the baby. I also for some reason go up both a band size and a cup size when nursing- I think because the girls are wide-set? I lost weight, so it doesn't really make sense, but you could try that. Or since the cups seem big, go up a band size and not a cup size. Definitely measure yourself before ordering. I'm still on the search for the perfect bra- I got some nice sleep bras from motherwear.com for really good prices, but I haven't found a daytime bra that covers the post-nursing/pumping nipples and provides support. I was just about to go the $60 bra route- your post doesn't make me very hopeful! I have the two from the Gap, they're La Leche approved but the wireless one has side boning that is completely bent and poking into my side by the end of the day, and the wired one doesn't open up far enough to nurse/pump without getting milk all over it, so I can only wear it once before washing. They do both have the best nipple coverage, though, so I wear them to work anyways. Baby was preemie so she's a but of a messy eater, but still. Good luck!

Last edited by tinkerbellesarah; 01-13-2011 at 10:47 PM.
tinkerbellesarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
anne_josh
Registered Users
seller

I like Bravado, the Yes bras (on ebay of all places) and the sports bra from LLL. They're not at all visually appealing, but then I guess nursing bras are not supposed to be..
anne_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:

My fave nursing bra was one that I bought with DS1, 8 years ago. It fit like a normal bra but had little snaps at the fabric meeting place between your breasts? They opened outward which was WONDERFUL since I was and still am one to just reach under and let 'em loose! I used it until it literally fell apart three kids later. I do not think I will be able to find it again although I am already looking for it.

Sorry this didnt help, except to maybe prove to you that finding the right bra is essential. I lived in mine day and night. GL!

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:16 PM   #8
mpfanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by genieinabottle
Hi, I have nursed my first son until 21 months and now nursing a 3 month old, so I have been wearing nursing bras for over 2.5 yrs now! Motherhood bras are terrible. Your best bet is a stretchy one that grows with you. Have you ever tried Bravado? I have 4 of them, and they are awesome because they accomodate a changing breast size. I never did like microfiber for nursing (that was my Motherhood one) because it doesn't change size with you. My favorite is the Bravado Body Silk:
http://www.bravadodesigns.com/shop/the-body-silk-seamless-nursing-bra

It is truly awesome. And try this website for bras: www.breakoutbras.com They have great prices and an awesome return policy.

Good luck!
Bravado Body Silk is the BEST. Totally worth the price.
mpfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:17 PM   #9
90924teeth
Registered Users
seller

i bought nursing bras and they were a pain, i got a comfortable sports bra, kinda thin, and now i just lift it up and then back down when were done, no fiddling with the clasp.
90924teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #10
runzbarrel
Registered Users
seller

I just got my bras back from a DS mama on here that will convert your regular bra into a nursing bra! It cost me like $5 a bra! Her name is Sandra Kreps, I'm pretty sure that's her SN too. I'm so excited to wear MY bras again Since DS was born I've been wearing the Bravado bras and it's comfy. HTH!
runzbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote