Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2011, 06:37 AM   #1
PatchworkPeddler
Registered Users
Formerly: MrsMommy0805
seller

My Mood:
I gave DS a bottle last night

DS (3.5 months) has always been pretty fussy in the evening. In the past week my DS has been cutting 2 teeth and I had strep throat over the weekend so he was laying with me a lot. Monday I put his amber necklace around his ankle and tuesday and wednesday he was an ANGEL child. Yesterday morning I fed him about 6:45 and he didn't need fed again until 11 and he was just happy and content in his swing, bumbo, etc. until then.

Then he was fine until 3:30 or 4 when I fed him again.

Then... He doesn't stop fussing until 9pm when I discovered his tummy was GROWLING (I had JUST finished feeding him AGAIN as he was feeding on and off that whole time). I had bottles from when I had to leave him at my sisters for a few hours and so I got one and he GULPED down 5oz

Then he was wide awake so I put him in his swing and he was HAPPY... Giggling at nothing, smiling, and having a good old time. Then at 10 he nursed AGAIN for about 15 mins and fell asleep. He slept pretty well last night too (fed him like once or twice) compared to how he has been sleeping (on the breast all night)

What am I doing wrong? I'm drinking enough, I NEVER had this problem with ODS--he was EBF until like 6-7 months old. DS is nursing enough and pacifying enough to keep my milk going and my milk SHOULD be able to keep up with him. Obviously my breasts aren't doing something right. I truly believe this has been the majority of his problems since he was about a month old--he's been hungry this whole time and I just didn't know it

Why is this happening?

Advertisement

PatchworkPeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:47 AM   #2
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I gave DS a bottle last night

I suggest feeding every 2 hours during the day. Going 4 hours at that age is a long time. Your body will make more milk if you ask it to. You are doing the best for your baby! Keep it up
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:01 AM   #3
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz7 View Post
I suggest feeding every 2 hours during the day. Going 4 hours at that age is a long time. Your body will make more milk if you ask it to. You are doing the best for your baby! Keep it up
Yes! I was thinking the same thing. Just because he CAN go that long between feedings doesn't mean I would do it. i'd definately feed him more often at least for a few weeks. By then your body will have started making enough milk to feed him every 2 hours, and you can drop back to every 3 or 4. Then he'll still be getting the same extra milk. Greazt job!
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
PatchworkPeddler
Registered Users
Formerly: MrsMommy0805
seller

My Mood:

I basically just feed on demand... Usually it's every 3 hours but sometimes up to 5. On demand never failed with ODS. But you're right, the more often I nurse the more I'll make. Thanks for the advice momma.
PatchworkPeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'll follow along and say to feeding him a bit more often too.

Also, you should check out the kellymom.com milk calculator. My son always got bottles that were 4 oz- up until he was a year old (we started solids around 7 months).
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
rsu
Registered Users

growth spurts, developmental leaps - babies needs change all the time, and I've found that what worked last week for nursing may not work this week because she has a cold, or she's eating more food, or whatever. My 8 mo dd rarely takes more than 4 ou breastmilk in a feeding, but when she was around 2 and 4 months she had some periods where she would gobble down a 5 ounce bottle and still act hungry. I'm not sure if it was really hunger, or trying to sooth gas/gerd. Sounds like you're doing a great job and your kiddo's needs are just changing!
rsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
Formerly: Lilymomma
seller

My Mood:

Growth Spurt! I would avoid bottles until this calms down and your supply catches up. Just nurse nurse nurse- and in a few days, things should be leveled out!

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
find me on Facebook or Etsy
Whimsy Twist is offline   Reply With Quote