Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
Mamabird22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
a mess...

SO here is what's going on...

I am pretty sure I have reoccuring nipple yeast. I saw a Dr. at the walk-in clinic but he said it wasn't yeast it was an irritation? Well I think I disagree...the barrier cream I was using was doing nothing. It is most definitely yeast. It was getting scaly and blistery and so itchy...
So I have restarted the Nystatin in my baby's mouth (I have 30mls left from last time) I am wiping her mouth with a facecloth after every feed and doing just under 1ml and painting it in her mouth with my finger. (I can't see anything in her mouth but I hear if I treat myself I must treat her)
I am wiping my nipples with a water/vinegar solution, air drying and then applying clotimazole cream.
I am letting her air out when I change her diaper.
In the bathroom I wash my hands with hot soapy water after each of these things and use paper towel to dry my hands.
Boiling her pacifiers for 20 minutes.

But what about everything else she puts in her mouth?? It says to keep her hands and feet out of her mouth...right! And to boil everything she puts in her mouth...how am I supposed to boil toys and pacifier clips and spoons???
Do you have any experience with yeast?
Also, for the past 3-4 week she has been nursing for maybe 5 minutes and then cries and fusses and doesn't want to go back on the breast? What the heck is going on?

Anyway any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

xo

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
Karidre
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: a mess...

You may want to consider trying to use Gentian Violet to treat it. You can get it in your local pharmacy, though you may have to ask for it. Just be careful if you use it as it stains everything. If you use it twice a day, on both of you, it should start clearing things up pretty quickly. You would paint your nipples and areolas with it, as well as painting the inside of the baby's mouth.

You may also want to consider taking acidophilus, a priobiotic, and/or grapefruit seed extract to fight it and to prevent it from coming back. They also make a babydophilus that you can put in baby's mouth.

I used something called Candi-Gone that I got at the natural vitamin store to get rid of thrush. It is pricey ($30 for a box) but really wiped it out for us. I used the Candi-Gone in addition to the acidophilus and babydophilus.

Other things to help fight thrush:

- Put 1/2 cup of vinegar in with the wash when you wash bras, shirts, underwear, anything that touches yeasty areas of your body.
- Boil and/or wipe down any toys, pacifiers, bottle nipples that go in baby's mouth. You can also just set them out in the sun. The sun eats the yeast.
- Cut down on the sugar that you eat...yeast feeds on sugar.
- Consider eating, and feeding to your baby if they are old enough, some *plain* yogurt. You can also use the yogurt (plain, unsweetened) as a lotion on your nipples.
- Put a wash cloth with diluted vinegar on your nipples for a half hour or so.
Karidre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yes, 6 capsules of Acidopholus each day. and you can open a few capsules and give it to her too but just twice a day, just dip a clean wet pacifier in it and then let her suck it.

say off sugar for a few days in your diet.

Yes gentian violet and use vasaline on babies face bfore you put it on to help keep it from staining her face. it will stain everything.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:54 AM   #4
momto4plus4
Registered Users
seller

Ditto the above suggestions. I personally haven't used GV but we've had thrush at least 4 times (I have forgotten now) and have had to use Rx Diflucan for us both.

Does it hurt when she nurses? That was by far my biggest sign. Our first case was the worst. He basically came out with thrush-had it by 1 wk but we had gestational diabetes so that may have affected him. Tried Nystatin, vinegar, baking soda, boiling everything. Nothing else worked. The only reason I didn't try GV right away is because of the new studies showing risks of overuse. That, and I was lazy. Not really, but I didn't want to mess with the mess.

I have done probiotics. He didn't do well when I would put the dry powder in his mouth so I just mixed it with a little water and used a medicine dropper (he still refuses bottles/cups/pacifiers/etc).

Oh, and thrush can affect their eating big time. That has always been the 2nd biggest sign besides the obvious white spots. He pulls off frequently, seems hungry but won't stay latched, is fussy, etc. From what I've read it can cause them to have pain when nursing with thrush. Once it was gone all the eating issues went away.

Hang in there!
momto4plus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
Mamabird22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for all the advice and encouragement mamas!!

xo
Old 01-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the scaly blistery itchy nipples sounds normal to me. ive never heard of the yeast thing...
Earthy Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Mamabird22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthy Momma View Post
the scaly blistery itchy nipples sounds normal to me. ive never heard of the yeast thing...
Scaly, blistery, itchy nipples aren't normal. This is usually a pretty good indicator that you have yeast and possibly the baby has it as well...but it's called Thrush in the mouth. Also nipples can be very pink, burning and shooting pains i nthe breast or they can also look totaly normal.

My first time they were a little pink but they HURT sooo badly. My midwife knew right away if was yeast when I described the symptoms.

If you have been experiencing this I suggest you try to see a Dr. or breastfeeding support person to diagnose. Maybe it's totally normal for you? But I'd get it checked out anyway...

xo