Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
wellsmommy
Registered Users
seller

Decreasing Supply

I am 19 weeks pregnant, I'll be 20 weeks this coming Tuesday. My milk supply is decreasing so fast and my LO is so hungry we've started having to give him formula. He's 10 and half months and I really don't want to stop nursing him at all. My plan is to tandem nurse for quite sometime. I'm not sure what to do to boost my supply back up. Should I just pump and pump? My midwives aren't very encouraging or helpful, which surprised me. What about lactation cookies? Has anyone had good luck with those? I know there has to be a way to keep my supply up and not just be ok with drying up! Please help us!

Advertisement

wellsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
wellsmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Decreasing Supply

Old 01-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well, no, when you're pregnant, if your body decides it's not going to make milk, there really isn't much you can do about it. Pumping is not going to do anything more than having your baby at the breast will do. And you can eat all the oatmeal and brewer's yeast you want, and I don't think it will change things much at all.

The book Adventures in Tandem Nursing may give you more ideas about the whole situation, but a lot of pregnant women (most?) have a huge decrease in milk.

Sorry, mama. My DD's still nurses, but I have no milk. She just comfort nurses. That won't help with your DS's nutritional situation, but he may continue to nurse throughout your pregnancy and then you can tandem when baby is born without any fear of him having forgotten how.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

This is from Kellymom:

Quote:
The production of breastmilk depends upon adequate emptying of the breasts, but the supply and demand regulation of milk supply does not usually hold up when faced with the hormonal changes of pregnancy. The decrease in milk production usually occurs despite continued or increased nursing frequency, although a minority of pregnant mothers do not experience a decrease in milk supply.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
wellsmommy
Registered Users
seller

Well that helps me anyhow. He comfort nurses too and I'm hoping he will continue to throughout the next five months or so and then he'll be getting more milk again once baby gets here.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

As Catherine said, your body decides. My DS wouldn't comfort nurse, so I pumped all the time to keep any kind of supply, but it was gone at 18 weeks, when DS was 10m. I'm hoping he'll relatch when our newbie arrives... but have come to peace with the fact that it will be his decision. I had a 'plan' to keep him nursing thoughout pregnancy (doing everything I could to keep milk up) and then tandem, but it doesn't matter what I've planned... my body and his will make their own choices!

You're doing all you can do!

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

If you are really wanting to keep your baby at the breast you could uses a feeder like the SIS to make sure he is getting something but to be honest, the book mentioned by pp might be a good read first. Tandem nursing is not for everyone. Also weaning is not easy so I'm not saying to do that either. I really think you should read the book and then decide if you still want to tandem nurse.
Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thats a hard one...ur hormones and body will go crazy trying to make a baby and feed another. all you can try to do is nurse as much as you can. or pump when u give ur baby formula. the more u formuls feed the less milk you would make (generally-without being pregnant) but you may have no control over this. but dont give up...but if that is what ur body decides then thats wha your going to have to deal with.
Earthy Momma is offline   Reply With Quote