View Poll Results: When do you plan on starting cloth diapering?
Right when baby's born, the first diaper will be cloth 16 28.07%
While in the hospital at some point but not right at birth 6 10.53%
As soon as we get home from the hospital 23 40.35%
After the meconium passes 11 19.30%
After the cord falls off 6 10.53%
Other 4 7.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Salidwyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
When are you starting CD?

This probably seems like a really silly question but I'm curious since so many of you are CD veterans what you're opinions and plans are. I blame the unsolicited, well meaning advice I've been given lately on how I SHOULD do things that has me questioning everything.

When are you planning on starting CD with your newborn? Are there any particular reasons you're starting then as opposed to a different time? This is all purely just curious and I really want to know based on your experiences. Thank you my May mamas!!

Edit: You can pick multiple answers in case there's more than one factor in when you're starting so I hope that helps some.

For home birth moms, please pick something close as far as time frame goes. I know we have a few in our DDC and I didn't take you guys into consideration as much when I made the poll. I'm sorry for the oversight!

Advertisement

Last edited by Salidwyn; 01-15-2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Added choices, apology to home birth mamas
Salidwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
heyuitsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When are you starting CD?

dd crashing...
I'm curious what others say too....this will be our first to cd from birth.
I have not given it too much thought yet, but likely when we get home from the hospital...or, if someone gives disposibles, after those run out.
heyuitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
pieceofjess
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For us it will pretty much be when we get home. I don't want to get home and immediately have to do diaper laundry and I don't want to tote a bag full of dirties home. I will probably put a cute dipe on her along with her coming home outfit and then start using them from there. I only have a few true newborn diapers and covers though so we will likely supplement with disposables until the cord falls off and she can more comfortably wear her size smalls.

pieceofjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
chippybug10
Registered Users

Barring any unforseen circumstances, this baby will wear cloth from the first moment. We told the nurses at the hospital about our cloth diapers and put them in the bassinet drawers for DS. They all thought it was so cool and loved using them, even if they didn't always put them on right We were only there 24 hours and DS didn't really pee much but did pass some of the meconium there. It came out easily in the wash and didn't leave any stains, and I just told DH how to set up the washer so I didn't have to worry.

I don't think it's any extra work doing cloth from birth, but I know a lot of people wait for one reason or another. You could always just play it by ear, bring diapers to the hospital and inform the nurses about them, then just go from there based on how you feel and what you're up for.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Julesboch
Registered Users

My Mood:

We will be starting later than usual this time since DH will be deployed. I am assuming that with being alone with a 3 1/2, 2 1/2 and a NB that CDing (as much as I adore it) will be just another burden (to add to the piles of other things I will be doing alone ) at first. I will start earlier if baby has issues with sposies though like ODD did. I love love love my fluff but already having 1-2 loads of laundry a day plus add the NB's and then place the dipes on top. I am going to just wait to fluff the bum for sanity purposes.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
mich*mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't decided. Probably at the hossie.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #7
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

With my first I waited until the size smalls fit her, she was around 6-7 weeks (8lb baby)

WIth my second I took cloth to the hospital with me, Kissaluvs fit fine at 6-15, and I wasn't worried about the laundry. It wasn't ever a big deal.

With my twins I waited until they were a few weeks old, but cloth holds the PF poopies in betters, so I started using it as soon as I was feeling able (I had been unable to do laundry for months b/c I could not get down to my basement). It was a rougher PG/delivery and recovery.

With this baby I am just buying a mish-mash. I will start whenever I feel up to keeping up w/ the laundry. I am sure by 2-3 weeks I will be fine, but I'm not sure about those first few days.

The way I see it, other things like BFing are more important to me than CDing, so I pick and choose which things to make a priority. First and foremost my house has to run well, meals need to be cooked/cleaned up, and my kids taken care of. If I have energy left over and want to use cloth, I will So far I just need about 4-6 AIOs or pockets, and 4-ish covers and I am set from the newborn stage to about 3 months.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
jacobsmommy924
Registered Users
seller

We cloth diapered part time in the hospital with DD. Mostly brought them to see how they fit. Once we got home we cloth diapered while at home. During the first few days of my daughters life my son was going through skin graft surgery and had some hospital stays. Between the hospital and doctors visits it was A LOT of traveling. So we used disposables while out and about.
jacobsmommy924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
totallymymakings
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we are having a hb and will cd from the start Gav was and I had no issues with miconum, I just used some fleece liners and tossed them out
Old 01-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not sure yet. W/DS I had an unplanned C/S after 18 hrs of labor; and that was just the last thing on my mind.
If I have another C/S, we probably won't cloth at the hospital. I would like DS2 to either go home in cloth, or start right when we get home. We'll still be using part time sposies anyways; we don't have enough NB diaps for more than a day, and I don't see DH washing them every evening.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote