View Poll Results: When do you plan on starting cloth diapering?
Right when baby's born, the first diaper will be cloth 16 28.07%
While in the hospital at some point but not right at birth 6 10.53%
As soon as we get home from the hospital 23 40.35%
After the meconium passes 11 19.30%
After the cord falls off 6 10.53%
Other 4 7.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
mama21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When are you starting CD?

This will be my first nb CD baby. I didn't start with DS until he was about 7 mo. But, I will wait until I get home from the hossy or maybe put one on him for our drive home. I'm not sure how this hospital works, but with DS, the nurses kept constantly taking him for this test or that test or whatever so I literally never changed his diaper while there. Each time they took him away, he'd come back with a clean sposie on. So, I just figured if I brought my own cloth, they'd either misplace them or put them on wrong, etc. I never did see the muconium poop either so I assume it came out sometime during these changes. I have plenty of nb sized diapers so they should mostly fit right away under the cord.

Advertisement

Bikram yoga lover and CD addict
mama21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #12
mamamaggie
Registered Users
seller

I feel like the less I have to pack the better. I literally showed up at the hospital for DD's birth with nothing, and it was fine. I don't really understand all this bring your own robe and stuff. DH did go home and get the going home outfit, so I have to pack that this time since the hospital is a lot farther away.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #13
*Amy*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't want to spend the extra $ on tiny diapers, so either as soon as the cord falls off or as soon and she fits into OS/small diapers! I would say within a couple of weeks, I don't have small babies.
& Baby # 3 EDD 8/30/13
*Amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:10 PM   #14
jenndoxx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't want to keep up with our diapers at the hospital, so we'll just use their diapers until we get home. Last time, I think we used disposables for the first week because we had gotten some NB disposables as gifts and we just used them up and then started using the cloth.

Jenn
Mom to two little boys
jenndoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:39 AM   #15
thaisa47
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cloth from the get-go.

I did the same with DD, and it worked out great. I had her in a birth center, and was home within a few hours. I only had two dirty diapers to deal with from our 'stay' in the birth center, and they fit nicely into my smaller wetbag. I used fleece liners with DD until her meconium passed, which was quickly because my milk came in right away. In fact, she pooped a HUGE meconium one all over the place at the birth center right as she was being weighed/measured, and that was the biggest one.

I plan to do the same with this little guy - we are going back to the same birth center, etc. I don't expect anything different, really.

ETA: DD's cord stump took forever and a day to heal, so I am making some fitteds, covers, and a few AIOs with a cord scoop in the front. I can always fold the rest down, but I would love a few specifically with that scoop just for that purpose.

Last edited by thaisa47; 01-16-2011 at 07:41 AM.
thaisa47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #16
Shawna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will just wait until we get home which has usually been five days later because we have to stay longer due to jaundice and being under the lights. Plus my last csection recovery was painful and the nurses changed a lot since I wasn't very mobile.

Ecomom deal from plum district.
Shawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #17
SchatziB
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We're hoping to start as soon as possible. But honestly I'm not fighting with a hospital that puts up a stink or making a commitment to letting the merconium hit them. It's not a do or die battle for me Really I will even coast on the diapers they give you at the hospital now and then for the first week.

Well here we go again!
SchatziB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #18
watermelon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Most likely at home...but we'll just see how it goes....
Old 01-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #19
Bevytp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think this is a great question! I am a cd newby and this is the one thing i havent been able to get a definite answer on. I want to cd right away but think we will wait until we get home from the hospital. It seems by then all the "tar" poop is gone. I might take a few to the hospital with me just for the fun of it lol I cannot wait to see that cute baby tush in a fluff diaper and i also want to see how things will fit.
Bevytp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #20
Salidwyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofjess View Post
For us it will pretty much be when we get home. I don't want to get home and immediately have to do diaper laundry and I don't want to tote a bag full of dirties home. I will probably put a cute dipe on her along with her coming home outfit and then start using them from there. I only have a few true newborn diapers and covers though so we will likely supplement with disposables until the cord falls off and she can more comfortably wear her size smalls.
That's a good idea there with doing cloth with a coming home outfit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippybug10 View Post
Barring any unforseen circumstances, this baby will wear cloth from the first moment. We told the nurses at the hospital about our cloth diapers and put them in the bassinet drawers for DS. They all thought it was so cool and loved using them, even if they didn't always put them on right We were only there 24 hours and DS didn't really pee much but did pass some of the meconium there. It came out easily in the wash and didn't leave any stains, and I just told DH how to set up the washer so I didn't have to worry.

I don't think it's any extra work doing cloth from birth, but I know a lot of people wait for one reason or another. You could always just play it by ear, bring diapers to the hospital and inform the nurses about them, then just go from there based on how you feel and what you're up for.
That is a brilliant idea there too and I could always take a few to see how it goes and make DH go back for more if we need them, since we're not too far away from the hospital.

Lots of good thoughts and insights so far! It's great to see everyone's ideas and I can't wait to hear more!