View Poll Results: When do you plan on starting cloth diapering?
Right when baby's born, the first diaper will be cloth 16 28.07%
While in the hospital at some point but not right at birth 6 10.53%
As soon as we get home from the hospital 23 40.35%
After the meconium passes 11 19.30%
After the cord falls off 6 10.53%
Other 4 7.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #21
alwaysfallingup
Registered Users
seller

Re: When are you starting CD?

We will probably be waiting a few weeks, until she is big enough to fit into our one size dipes. DD will be about 14 months old at that point, so my plan is just to buy another 20 OS dipes that they can both use, instead of buying tiny little newborn ones.

Advertisement

I read Tarot! Click here to get a reading!
alwaysfallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #22
Aleesh_Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm hoping that we can cd right from the beginning, and I'm prepared for it diaper-wise, but right when the baby is born we will have 3 children at three different schools for 2-4 weeks, in addition DH will be at work with some major projects right at that time. If the laundry step feels like just one more thing I can't handle (on top of running a household by myself and recovering from birth) then I'll use disposables until the kids are out of school.
Aleesh_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #23
mamamegan841
Registered Users
seller

We will be at a birth center and coming home a few hours after the birth. Although I would love to CD from birth, it will just be so much easier to start after we are settled in at home and after the meconium passes. Our newbie will be in prefolds until the cord stump falls out and while DH has no problems with fitteds or pockets, he can't really snappi a PF. So sposies it will be for a few days, which reminds me to ask, which ones should I use? I want something as close to cloth as possible - no Pampers or Huggies or Luvs for this little one!
mamamegan841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #24
armywife08
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think i'll start when i get him dressed to come home or after we get to the recovery side since i'll be the one changing dipes. i'm more worried about them not vaxing, no gooping, stuff than disposables being on him right away. if i were to have a HB i would def do it from the start.

Our rainbow baby, James, was born 21April2011 Our survivor twin, Anya was born Dec 2012
armywife08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #25
Salidwyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamegan841 View Post
We will be at a birth center and coming home a few hours after the birth. Although I would love to CD from birth, it will just be so much easier to start after we are settled in at home and after the meconium passes. Our newbie will be in prefolds until the cord stump falls out and while DH has no problems with fitteds or pockets, he can't really snappi a PF. So sposies it will be for a few days, which reminds me to ask, which ones should I use? I want something as close to cloth as possible - no Pampers or Huggies or Luvs for this little one!
While I can't comment on their diapers exactly, I used Seventh Generation pads after a horrible allergic reaction to a scented pantyliner and then went to cloth after that. From a mama cloth perspective, these are the closest to cloth I've tried and I'm assuming the diapers would probably be similar. If we do get some sposies, these are the ones I'm getting to use for sure!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #26
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

We use cloth from the minute they are born, with the exception of my last son who was born premature and had breathing problems. He went straight to the machines and at that point I was not concerned about the diaper he was using. He did however get cloth as soon as he was stable enough to come back into my room.

OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:45 AM   #27
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I dunno. With DD we used disposables until about 5 mos when I researched cloth. DS was cd'd part time for the first few weeks and then FT after that. We used disposables in the hossy even though our dr said cloth was fine by her. His cord didn't detach completely so it bled for about 3 weeks off and on if we used anything other than swaddlers folded down

I've been seriously considering taking cloth to the hossy this time, but the laundry question comes up and if I'm going to want to do it right when I get home. And what is going to fit him ok?? I have no idea! DH will think I'm nuts if I make the nurses cd for us, so maybe we'll just do it part time at the hossy?? I think in the end I'll bring some, maybe not enough for the entire stay, and we'll see how I feel.
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:15 AM   #28
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We'll use cloth once we get home, I'm too afraid they will get lost at the hospital.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #29
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

We homebirth/UC, so we CD from the very beginning, due to it being convenient and having the opportunity. It always feels pretty scary pinning that first dipe on the brand spankin' new baby!

Oddly enough, with all I hear about meconium staining diapers, it's never happened to us. 3 babies, 2 different sets of newborn dipes (both nb pfs and birdseye flats) and not a single diaper that the meconium didn't wash/sun out. Not that I would have cared too much about stains (my grandmother told me when I had my first baby that if all I had to worry about was stains on diapers, I had it pretty good! ), but it was nice that there weren't any.

If I were to birth in a hospital, I probably wouldn't start cloth until I got home. No, that's not true... DH would surely insist on bringing our cloth in and taking care of the diapering if I were laid up in a hospital bed.

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #30
pacey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am going to take some with me to the hospital and start there. I think. Probably after the first bath and everything.