Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
tbowers8403
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Formula and Elimination Question

Long explination..

I do a mixture of breastfeeding and formula. She seemed to get so clogged and her belly would get so hard with the formula I was feeding her. So I switched to Soy. Of course I started Rice at the same time (silly me) and I started having diaper explosions. I figured, well its just going to take time. Then some bad consitpation happened last week. Her stools were so thick, hard, and small (the consistency of Apricot face scrub) and she was teething ontop of that. Bad weekend

So I gave her apple (mixed with prune) juice 2 a day for two days (total of 4oz) and had to do a glycerin suppository. Finaly the juice kicked in and she was going on her own and it was thick, but normal (as im told, she didnt go when i was home).

I took her off rice and figured Id start that next month. Her elimation is still thick, but a good amount and she strains pretty good to get it out. Which makes me think its the Soy. Is there a happy medium formula out there? Do babies start having thicker/solid poop around now?

What formula (if you use it) do you use? I use Gerber Good Start Soy Plus - before it was Gentle Plus.

Advertisement

Old 12-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
melilo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Formula and Elimination Question

Um, I would say it's too soon to feed anything but breastmilk or formula.

Your dd is ony 3 months! Medical experts agree that you should wait until at least 6 months to add anything to diet.

Formula is known to be able to cause constipation, breastmilk almost never does.

Please, cut out all food except breastmilk/formula your dd's open gut is not matured enough to handle anything else.

ETA: You can also check out Milkshare and Eats on Feets to possibly get donor breastmilk.

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula

Last edited by melilo; 12-24-2010 at 01:37 PM.
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
tbowers8403
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by melilo View Post
Um, I would say it's too soon to feed anything but breastmilk or formula.

Your dd is ony 3 months! Medical experts agree that you should wait until at least 6 months to add anything to diet.

Formula is known to be able to cause constipation, breastmilk almost never does.

Please, cut out all food except breastmilk/formula your dd's open gut is not matured enough to handle anything else.

ETA: You can also check out Milkshare and Eats on Feets to possibly get donor breastmilk.
thanks for the lecture, i dont need it. I was looking to see what other formula people were using, not to get scolded on someones soap box. Part of the reason I left DS to begin with. One thing I hate is to be pegged as a bad new mom who knows nothing. I am NOT that. So thanks.

FYI: I asked my pedi first before doing much of anything
Old 12-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Formula is know to cause constipation and breast milk is known to be a bit of a laxative.

I don't know why you're supplementing but it might work best if you give the bm first and just top off with formula.

Difficulty of passing the stools aside if she is on mostly breastmilk she can go a few days in between bowel movements.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
jraejohnson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

rice in general is constipating so cut out the rice cereal. if you want to continue with cereal try barley or oatmeal. soy is also very constipating. you may want to try a lactose free dairy based formula like gentlease or sensitive rs. I would try to stick with one type of formula for at least a couple weeks and not change it. and maybe no food to make sure its not causing the constipation. and i am sure your ped told you but if you want to introduce food make sure you do it slowly to make sure your dd has no allergy or sensitivity to it.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
miraclebabysmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No real experience with formula with my kids, but when caring for my cousin's baby i had a little. She was horribly constipated, and was a reflux baby that was on Gentlease that was weighted with rice cereal from about 1 month old. one thing they needed to watch for was making sure she was getting enough fluid. Usually whe cereal is started, they also have you offer water or juice in between meals (even just some sips helps) but this is usually done around 4-6 months. so what they had to do is make sure the formula was measured accurately (no heaping of scoops) and actually mixing the cereal with water and then adding that to the formula. it sounds odd, but that little bit of extra water that wasn't mixed with formula really did help. Also she was given "a nipple full" of apple juice a day when she seemed to be getting stopped up.

I know that doesn't really help with your formula question, but thought maybe some of it would be useful/helpful info for you. Good luck mama and she's a cutie.
My diapers are not collectors items...they are diapers...used to poop in.
miraclebabysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
Chrijodo
Registered Users
Formerly: RiverDrakesMomma
seller

My Mood:

We use Nutrimagen. It's insanely expensive but it's not milk or soy based. It's hypoallergenic. The girls don't have any problems with constipation on it. I do think that a big part of the constipation and tummy issue is the rice though, rice in general is really hard for tummies, we skip it all together. I'd try taking the rice out completely until she's at least 4 months (6 preferably) especially since she has a history of constipation and rice is binding (hence being used in the BRAT diet for older children with diarrhea).

There really isn't a happy medium between soy and milk based formula. You might try Similac Sensitive RS which has an enzyme in it to break down the lactose into easier molecules which can help her digest and the RS is rice starch which helps thicken the formula a bit if she's prone to reflux, if you are just doing the rice cereal to play with on a spoon though then I would suggest just the Similac Sensitive.

We tried the high calorie formula which is milk based (NeoSure) for the girls when they first switched from breast milk to formula at 2 months. It killed their tummies. We switched to Similac Sensitive and had pretty nice improvement for a bit but ended up deciding to just forego the experimenting for the right formula for them and go with the Nutramigen as my other two boys ended up needing it (River switched at 2 months and Journey got occasional supplementing until he wean himself at 10 months)

Not sure if that helps.. sorry so long
Chrijodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:11 AM   #8
Colleen+1
Registered Users
seller

I give DS a combination of formula/breastmilk. I am ep'ing so we mix 4 oz of bm and 2 oz of formula so he doesn't get much, but enough. Our ped suggested that after he lost weight.

I have been off dairy as I believe he has an intolerance, but soy does not seem to matter. We tried Similac soy formula 1st and that did not go well. Enfamil has a hypoallergenic formula is does not have any soy/dairy proteins. It is called Nutramagin. I believe similac has one too, alimentum or something like that. I had a hard time finding it at first, b/c not a lot of stores in our area carry it, and it's expensive. $20 for 12.6 oz. Thank goodness we only use a can a week!
DS #1, Gavin, 9/23/10. LO #2 Edd 11/05/12! Married to my awesome dh Nathien since 10/14/06. We kicked infertility butt!

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mrsthomas1014
Colleen+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #9
melilo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbowers8403 View Post
thanks for the lecture, i dont need it. I was looking to see what other formula people were using, not to get scolded on someones soap box. Part of the reason I left DS to begin with. One thing I hate is to be pegged as a bad new mom who knows nothing. I am NOT that. So thanks.

FYI: I asked my pedi first before doing much of anything
I'm not scolding you, sorry if it came off that way. I am just trying to help. Breastmilk is BEST and donor milk is often available. I just thought you'd like to know all of your options.

Oh, and a lot of doctors have no clue what new or current recomendations from the experts are. Or don't care and continue the same practices they have for decades.

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:12 AM   #10
mama0609
Banned
seller

Most peds don't know what the recommendations for solids are. 3 months old is way too little. Her gut is still very immature. Starting solids too early can lead to an insane amount of issues later on. Her constipation from the solids is a clue her little tummy just isn't ready for it. Not scolding or judging, just sharing my BTDT experience.

In terms of formula, what you're saying sounds about right... poo is usually the consistency of thick peanut butter. Formula is constipating but I would recommend more breastmilk or plain water, not juice. Juice is full of sugars and dyes a baby just doesn't need.

hth!
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote