Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Anybody willing to share their birth plan?

I am supposed to have mine typed out for my next meeting with our doulas and haven't worked on a thing yet. I'd love to have an idea of what yours looks like or a links to a website to get me started. Thanks!

Advertisement

doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Aleesh_Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anybody willing to share their birth plan?

Dear Doctors and Nurses,

We're looking forward to sharing our birth experience with you. We have created this birth plan in order to outline some of our preferences for birth. We would appreciate you reviewing this plan, and would be happy to do so with you. We understand that there may be situations in which our choices may not be possible, but we hope that you will help us to move toward our goals as much as possible to make this labor and birth a great experience. We do not want to replace the medical personnel, but instead want to be informed of any procedures in advance, and to be allowed the chance to give informed consent. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions or comments. Thank you!

Please Note
-I would like to wear contact lenses or glasses at all times when conscious.

Labor
-Please perform no routine preparatory tasks (shaving, enema, etc.)
-I expect that doctors and hospital staff will discuss all procedures with me before they are performed.
-I would like to be free to walk, change positions and use the bathroom as needed or desired.
-I prefer to wear my own clothes, rather than a hospital gown.
-I prefer to eat and drink throughout labor
-I will remain hydrated by drinking moderate amounts of fluids (water, juice, ice chips).
-Please do not administer an IV or heparin lock unless there is a clear medical indication that such is necessary.
-I would like a quiet, soothing environment during labor, with dim lights and minimal interruptions.
-I wish to labor freely in the birthing tub or shower.
-I do not want to be observed by students, interns or staff.
-To preserve my privacy and dignity, I would prefer that everyone knock before entering.

Labor Induction/Augmentation
-I would like to avoid induction
-As long as the baby and I are healthy, I do not want to discuss induction prior to 42 weeks.
-I would like to try alternative means of labor augmentation, like walking or nipple stimulation, before pitocin
-Please do not rupture my membranes artificially

Anesthesia/Pain Medication
-If I ask for pain relief, please feel free to offer non-medical choices for coping and/or remind me how close I am to the birth.
-I would like to avoid all narcotics

Cesarean Section Delivery
-I feel very strongly that I would like to avoid a cesarean delivery.
-If a cesarean is necessary, I expect to be fully informed of all procedures and actively participate in decision-making.
-I would like my husband, Steven to be present during the surgery.
-Please explain the surgery to me as it happens.
-I would prefer general anesthesia in an emergency only.
-If conditions permit, I would like to be the first to hold the baby after the delivery.
-If possible, I would like to breastfeed the baby immediately after the birth.
-I would like our plans outlined here for after the birth to be followed as closely as possible.
-Please lower the screen just before delivery so I may see the birth of the baby.

Perineal Care
-To avoid episiotomy or tearing, my husband, Steven (my labor coach) will perform perineal massage with oil and apply hot compresses.
-To help my perineum stretch, please help guide my pushing efforts by letting me know when to push and when to stop.
-I would rather tear than have an episiotomy
-Please suture tears only if necessary.

Delivery
-Even if I am fully dilated, I would like to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
-I would like the freedom to push and deliver in any position I like
-I would like a soothing environment during the actual birth, with dim lights and quiet voices.
-I would like to have the birth recorded with photographs, videotape and/or tape recording.

After birth
-Please place the baby on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.
-Please allow the umbilical cord to stop pulsating before it is cut
-Please do not “milk” the cord and force blood into the baby before it is naturally pumped in
-Our daughters, Jasmine and Mariah would like the option to cut the cord
-I would like to breastfeed the baby immediately
-I prefer to wait for spontaneous delivery of the placenta and do not want a routine injection of pitocin
-No one is to massage my stomach to force the expulsion of the placenta or to increase uterine contractions after birth
-Please remove my IV/Heparin lock/catheter as soon as possible after delivery.

Newborn Care
-I would like to hold the baby skin-to-skin during the first hours to help regulate baby's body temperature.
-I would like to hold the baby through delivery of the placenta and any repair procedures.
-Please evaluate the baby on my abdomen.
-I would prefer to bathe the baby myself, at my discretion.
-We prefer erythromycin eye treatment or other antibiotic eye drops instead of silver nitrate.
-We would like to waive the administration of routine Vitamin K
-We would like to defer the PKU screening
-We would like to defer all vaccinations

Postpartum
-I would prefer to not be catheterized
- I would prefer a private room.
-I would like to have the baby room-in with me at all times
-I would like my husband, Steven to room-in with me
-I would like my other children to have free visitation access
-Assuming I feel up to it and the baby is healthy, I would like to be released from the hospital as soon as possible following the birth

Breastfeeding
-I plan to breastfeed and want to nurse immediately following the birth
-Please do not give the baby supplements (including formula, glucose, or plain water)
-Please do not give the baby a pacifier
-I would like to meet with the staff lactation consultant

Additional notes
-I would like to take still photographs during labor and the birth.

This is the birth plan that the hospital doctors agreed to and signed when my daughter was born in 2006. They wouldn't allow videotaping at all during the labor or birth, so we had to remove that line. After reviewing this plan now, there were many things that the doctors/nurses/hospital did not abide by, and in the midst of labor I couldn't fight about it. (They wouldn't let me eat or drink, they ruptured my membranes, Pitocin was given to me in a super high dose, we had to fight with them and leave AMA after 24 hours.) There were also a lot of points that they did respect: no pain medication was ever discussed with me per my wishes, my children were able to cut the cord, my family roomed-in with me, I was allowed to move freely during labor, and my daughter breast-fed immediately after birth. I had to fight off the nurses who kept trying to massage my uterus, but I did a fine job of it myself and let my nursing daughter handle the rest.

With my son in 2008, we were at the birth center and didn't need a birth plan--just being there was all the plan we needed. We will be doing the same for this baby.

Last edited by Aleesh_Mom; 01-17-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Aleesh_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
mama21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Alicia, I'm using yours as a basis for mine! Thanks!

Bikram yoga lover and CD addict
mama21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
*Amy*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mine isn't completely finished yet, but I'd love to ready everyone elses!
& Baby # 3 EDD 8/30/13
*Amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
mamamegan841
Registered Users
seller

Our birth center has a birth questionnaire that we are asked to fill out around the 36 week mark. It is short and simple and I can't remember all of the questions, but I know it asked me to name who was allowed into the room with me, what I wanted done with the placenta, and what types of pain management techniques I planned to use (water, Hypnobabies, music, massage, etc.). The midwives do not typically do any types of interventions (they do NOT induce a healthy pregnancy in any way and they will only break my water if I want them to and things are moving slowly), they wait to cut the cord, and they leave the baby with me for at least 2 hours before they weigh/measure or let anyone else (besides those allowed in) into the room to hold the baby. How I labor is totally up to me. They just kinda hang out in the background and let me do my thing, and check the baby's heart rate periodically. I push when I have the urge to push. I can wear what I want (last time I was naked the entire time b/c I was in and out of the shower and tub all day), eat and drink what I want, and I can even go outside to walk around if I want. So for us, there isn't really a need to have a formal birth plan. But if I ever had to go to the hospital, oh boy, it would be easier to write out what they could do instead of what they couldn't do to me! I guess it would be a good idea to have one just in case, but I have a lot of faith that that will not be an issue. I hope all of your births go smoothly and as close to as planned as possible!
mamamegan841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
Julesboch
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks Alicia!

I will more than likely be alone at the birth so by editing your plan I feel like I will have a good concrete lay out for the doctors to follow.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
cococomey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Holy Moly!
Up until a minute ago ours consisted of cramming whoppers in me on the way to the hospital and calling my mom to watch the little ones
Guess I will be doing a major re- think

cococomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've had my OB for all of my other kids. She knows my preferences, wants and desires and I completely trust that she wouldn't even encourage or ask about something unless it was warranted. I honestly feel no pressure to even write one up.

BUT, I'm very lax about it and so is she. I'm informed and my husband is informed and if something is completely unplanned, we'll make that decision together at the time. Right now my plan is an epidural-enhanced vaginal birth. I've done natural and didn't prefer it.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies! The good thing is that the same hospital/OB will be delivering this baby as the other two so I am well aware of their general policy. Still, the doulas are new (to me) and we all want to be on the same page here. I hope to labor at home anyway and avoid a lot of the procedures, questions, pressure but you know how things go with kids, you just can't count on anything.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
pacey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here we dont have written out birth plans. We do discuss our wishes with the dr at 36 weeks. Our OB is pretty lax about thinks, and will do everything he can to make sure we get the birth and delivery experience we want.