Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
Keiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Any other back sleepers?

There's got to be other pregnant mamas out there who normally sleep on their backs, right?

This is my first pregnancy, and I always sleep on my back. I'm only a little over 4 months so not huge by any means, but I'm starting to find it uncomfortable. My hips hurt when I wake up in the middle of the night.

I don't sleep on my side normally because my arms and legs fall asleep when I do.

Does anyone have any tips on how to make sleeping comfortable? Recently I've found that I naturally roll over to my side when I sleep but then I wake myself up because my arm is numb. So I think my body unconsciously knows to roll over the my left side, but then it wakes up because there's no blood in the arm.

It's rather frustrating!

Advertisement

Waldorf dolls and Natural toys for your little Keiki
Stocking the first Friday of the month at The Enchanted Toybox Congo

Mama to Annamarie (7/11) expecting #2 August 2015!
Keiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Any other back sleepers?

I am 29 wks tomorrow and I still sleep on my back sometimes.

Really, you just have to sleep how you are most comfortable. Your body will naturally wake up and move when it needs to.

I've been pregnant 3 times, and I've always slept however I could manage to get sleep.

Despite all the hype about sleeping on your left side, blah blah blah, I've never, ever heard of any mother or baby seriously hurt from a mom sleeping in a "bad" position. Who could possibly sleep in the SAME position every night for 9 months? That's just impossible, IMO.

Last edited by Kiliki; 01-17-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
mama21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also sleep on my back most of the time. I did with DS too. My arms and legs also go to sleep easily. So even if I fall asleep on my side, I usually end up on my my back. It's just the most comfortable.

Bikram yoga lover and CD addict
mama21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I alternate between both sides and my back. I don't have any problems with lightheadedness or shortness of breath, so it's not uncomfortable. Usually "they" say that you will feel uncomfortable long before baby suffers any consequences at all. When I get uncomfortable on my back, I just move onto one of my sides.

As for general sleeping comfort, lots of pillows! One between the knees, maybe one kind of partly under the belly once it gets bigger, one behind your back, and a big body pillow to snuggle up to. If your mattress is really firm and it makes your hips kind of sore, then you might try a mattress pad of some kind, like memory foam.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
Keiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I guess I should take advice with a grain of salt, they say most anything is harmful nowadays it seems. Good to know I can still sleep on my back if it's comfortable for me!

I may just have to try getting some flat pillows or something.

We have a Sleep Number bed, so I can adjust my firmness. I used to have it pretty soft, but right when I got pregnant my back started hurting, so now it's super firm. My back no longer hurts, but now my hips do on occasion.

Waldorf dolls and Natural toys for your little Keiki
Stocking the first Friday of the month at The Enchanted Toybox Congo

Mama to Annamarie (7/11) expecting #2 August 2015!
Keiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
mgl
Registered Users
seller
seller

For me, it always helped to take a flat pillow and put it barely under one hip and a little of my back. That way I was mostly on my back, but just sort of tilted to one side a bit. I also second the lots of pillows when you are on your side.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm due in 4 weeks and I always sleep on my back. Why? Because no matter how I start out once I'm asleep I always roll over onto my back. Considering how much trouble I have getting to sleep some nights the last thing in the world I would want is for my dh to wake me up and tell me to roll over on my side.
eahcapemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
KandFsMomma
Registered Users
Formerly: keirinsmomma
seller

My Mood:

I'm 31 weeks, I start on my side, I took DH's pillow because it's thicker than mine, and I usually just sleep w/ a pillow in between my knees, but I've added a body pillow too, that I put a bit under my belly to support it. This all helps with my arms falling asleep, but it still happens, so then I end up on my back for a bit too, then on one of my sides again. There's lots of tossing and turning!
Old 01-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
MamaNeeNee
Registered Users
seller

I'm due in around 48 days, and I honestly think laying on my back is the most comfortable. I'm paranoid now about laying on it for long periods of time because the "left" side is ideal or whatever, but i still do it. it's all about being comfortable. i just got a boppy body pillow...it helps but i'm still uncomfortable...pillows do help though when you're laying on your side, and one on your back..I find that my back hurts if i lay on my side for a long tme.
MamaNeeNee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
puppyloven
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Due date is in 3 days and I wake up on my back ALL the time. It actually feels better than laying on my side.
Happily married to DH Noel Mama to two boys Ryan 6/17/06 & Jackson 12/3/08 and with baby #3 EDD1/20/2011
puppyloven is offline   Reply With Quote