Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
Sweet3heart3
Registered Users
seller

What should I do?!

My son is 5 months old, EBF, and yesterday and today he has spit up practically everything that I've fed him! He isn't running a temp, and he's his usual happy self, but he gets hungry and I nurse him and then he spits it all back up. I haven't changed anything in my diet. I'm worried!! I know he's not sick so I'm just wondering what's going on. Can babies develop an intolerance to BM? I've never had this happen before with any of my kids, only when they're sick and like I said he's perfectly happy, sleeping fine, no temp etc. His tummy just isn't wanting my milk! We have a can of organic soy formula in case of emergencies since I'm taking 16 hrs in school right now, should I feed him a bottle of it and see what happens?! I know formula is a BIG no-no when EBF but I'm getting so worried that he's not getting any nutrients. He has been peeing ok though! I'm so confused! Help!

Advertisement

Last edited by Sweet3heart3; 01-17-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Sweet3heart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
hiding57
Registered Users
seller

Re: What should I do?!

Even if you didn't change your diet he might have developed a sensitivity to it. OTOH sometimes kids just do that, I'd wait a little bit and see as long as he's still peeing/pooping.
hiding57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As long as he has enough wet diapers stick with bm. I know that it seems like a lot when kids spit up but seriously- fill a cup with 4 oz of water and pour it on yourself (not really but you get the idea) you'd be soaked!

He might be getting a bug or something and the best thing possible for him is your antibodies and immunities.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
wellsmommy
Registered Users
seller

I would let him eat for only a minute or 2 at a time, let his tummy rest for about 10 minutes and see what happens. I went through a time with my little guy where I had WAY more milk than I realized and it was causing him to spit up. The reason I say to let him eat for a minute or 2 is if he has a bug he may be able to keep down smaller amounts but not the full feeding.
wellsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
Sweet3heart3
Registered Users
seller

Thanks girls, I'll keep at it a little longer before trying out some FF, maybe he is just getting a bug. He spit up again before bed I tried to keep him upright for as long as I could after his last nursing session but as soon as I laid him down to bed he spit up everywhere Here's to hoping tomorrow is better!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
Sweet3heart3
Registered Users
seller

oh & I spaced out his feedings like you said but he pretty much does that on his own already, he's always been a lazy eater. he'll eat for a couple minutes and then need a break for a couple minutes lol
Old 01-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
the_oz_girl
Registered Users

My Mood:

When was the last time he pooped and I mean REALLY pooped? My little guys would/will do that right before a monstrous poo, one of those not-even-cloth-can-hold-it, break out the garden hose to rinse him,WTH did he EAT?!?! kind of poops. Then they go back to their normal selves. I noticed it happening nearer growth spurts and I suspect it has to do with the changing digestive system size battling with the hunger needs of a growing kiddo.
the_oz_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
noodlesforever
Registered Users

My son did that for a while but I just kept at it and it passed. He had normal wet and dirty diapers and my diet hadn't changed so I think he was just not feeling well.

Once he stopped throwing up he was super hungry and each feeding lasted longer.

As a PP said, it may seem like they spit up everything but if they have wet and dirty diapers then they aren't getting dehydrated. He might not even have dirty diapers because he might not have any waste as BM is supposed to have the best balance of nutrients for them.
noodlesforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
Sweet3heart3
Registered Users
seller

Hmm...it's been about 3 days since he's had a MASSIVE poo
Old 01-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do not give formula...if his tummy is sick the best thing for him is milk.

Not all stomach viruses cause a fever.

Nurse 2 mintues every 15 minutes unti lhe gets better, maybe it will only last a few more hours.

Watch for 6 wet diapers a day.

Please don't give him formula! He is not allergic to your milk, that never happens!