Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Newborn - Is This Normal?

Just wondering if this is normal. I admit I'm a little paranoid about low supply since I suffered it with DD but I'm on Domperidone to try and avoid it this time. DS is about 3 days old and he nurses darn near constantly for hours at a time during the day and evening. He does take breaks of 2-4 hours at night though. He seems content. He never acts frustrated. But he does click sometimes during the longer feedings. The pediatrician in the hospital (who luckily enough is the local tongue tie "expert" ) said DS was tongue tied but that he could get his tongue past his gums so she didn't think it was necessary to clip. At least not without me being in pain. I wasn't at the time, but now at 3 days I'm pretty darn sore! Not sure if it is due to the tongue tie or just the constant nursing. So yeah, enough rambling. Is this typical newborn nursing?

Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
birdie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Newborn - Is This Normal?

My DD wanted to nurse constantly tell like 7 months old so yes I would say its pretty normal.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup, totally normal, congrats!

I would get a second opinion on the tongue tie though - it can affect supply. It is such a quick and easy procedure with your history I think I'd have it done even if it appears that all is well now.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

I had supply issues the first time as well, so I've been paranoid with this (2nd) baby. She did the same thing from the beginning and I just let her. She's content, patient, and nursed all the time when she was that little, and she's still a great nurser and my supply is good too!
kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Just PM'd you, mama, but I forgot to include this:

A position which often facilitates latch for tongue-tied babies is this one: http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...ge=34&p2506=80 The "biological nurturing" position. It allows the lower jaw to come forward more freely, allowing more range of motion near the hyoid bone, instead of the jaw falling back the way it's inclined to do if the baby is in the cradle hold. HTH!
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds normal to me, as long as you see plenty of wet/poopy diapers.

Are you massaging breast milk or lanolin onto your nipples after nursing? That helped me with the pain when DS was newborn.

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Thanks everyone. I'm having his tongue tie looked at this afternoon. The pain has become excruciating and he isn't swallowing anymore. He just does the flutter nursing on and off for hours and cries everytime he pops off. It is definitely going the same way DD's nursing went. I'm just hoping I can fix it this time. The only time he has stopped crying is when DH gave him a bottle last night. I'm seriously at a loss.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yes that is normal, ur nipples arent used to that constant pulling and saliva...it dries ur nipples out, and its guna hurt for a lil bit but they will tuffn up
if your baby is content then ur milk supply is fine
keep up the good work!
Earthy Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #9
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Totally and completely normal. I've met very very few women who didn't have significant pain in the first few days with a newborn.

Is your milk even in? The constant nursing is needed to bring your milk in. My dd's both got much much happier once I had milk and not just collostrum.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #10
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

I was in horrible pain for weeks, even though DS had a good latch... try your best to hang in there!! HUGS!!!

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote