Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I need some encouragement today!

My biggest BFing advocate and support is starting to wain on me. My mom BF both my brother and I, but she said we self-weaned at 6 months when she started food full time. (She gave us cereal from about 2 months on b/c it was the thing to do). At 6 months she said she started putting cows milk in a cup for us.

I know all of this is the WRONG thing to do (based on research) and I'm not even considering it, but my mom has always been my biggest supporter. This morning she asked me *THE QUESTION*..."How long do you plan on nursing Logan?". When I said until he self-weans or 2, I got the "Oh". I need her. All of my IRL friends FF. My DH thinks I should wean at a year. DS is almost 9 months old and not showing any signs of being ready to wean. DH says he is our last baby and I didn't have a successful BFing relationship with DD. I will keep going, I'm not going to give up, but I thrive off of support.

My mom's intentions are good. DS is still up 1-3X per night and I WOH. My mom wants me to be well rested, but honestly I'm fine and have told her as much. I just don't want to deal with the digs and comments like my grandmother has already started.

To top it all off, I have been home with DS for 8 days due to snow and ice in the area. I nurse on demand at home. Well, at work I have been pumping today, and my output is really low (2oz under normal) so that is bugging me!

I'm just having a rough day and need some encouragement!

Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
johnsbabymama
Registered Users
seller

Re: I need some encouragement today!

I'm in the same boat. I know how you feel. It's crazy what was the norm back in the day, right! All i can say, is just keep going. I get so many comments from family on the same lines as you. I don't let that bother me, because i know how happy breastfeeding makes my son, and i know how happy it makes me to have that bond with him. Other people just don't understand that! Your husband will never understand that, because they bond with there babies differently. Also not only is the bond great, it's the best nutrition money, can't buy. stick with it, for your DS!!!
johnsbabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You are doing a GREAT job! Consider yourself a leader in your family. When your lo's are mommies and daddies you can support them so your grandchildren will also get the best start as well.
You could try talking to your mom and sharing what you have learned and express to her how important her support is to you. Otherwise keep coming here!
Good luck!
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies. I do talk with my mom, EVERYDAY and we talk a lot about DS. She doesn't/has never bought into a lot of the "they say" advice from experts, docs or other parents. She always parented by intuition, and she is a great mom, but I think there is a point where intuition needs to meet research and that is the parent I am, with more research. I just needed to have some encouragement. I have also had 3 close friends have/about to have babies and they are so flippant about BFing (I will if I can...type mentality) and it just has me down today!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
runzbarrel
Registered Users
seller

Awww I'm sorry your having a rough day! {{{hugs}}} I don't really have anything to add other than that we support you here!
My DS just turned 8 mos and my MIL swears up and down that I don't produce enough milk for him cause he's small! He was 5.13 at birth and is now probably somewhere 13.5+lbs. She keeps saying that DH wasn't that small as a baby....uggghhh! She always sneaks food into him here and there and doesn't bother to ask me if it's OK!
We all have our struggles
runzbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
mommyof3armywife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you can do it girl don't let any one tell you other wise, if I would have listened to myself My 3rd and last one would still be nurseing full time t 15 months but I didn't and now it is only when she wants to and that is not often. I even gets looks for that.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

You can do it!!!

Why would you stop nursing before a year anyways and give formula? That just doesn't make any sense.

What I did with the naysayers or unsupportive people was tell them I was nursing till 1 year, then her birthday came in December and I said "through the winter for her immune system" after that I am just not telling anyone as hopefully she will only be nursing for rest,bed and morning and no one will see. Thank god my husband and mother are supportive as well as a few friends and other family members it does help big time. Good luck!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
kristinco
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi Mama! It's great that your mom has been so supportive so far and once she realizes how important it is to you, I'm sure she'll be right there with you. However, remember that that generation is when formula was really getting going and breast-feedling was looked upon as "weird." My mom BFed me because I was allergic to formulas and a lot of people gave her flack for it! If she doesn't immediately take to the idea you might just have to say "You support has been so important to me and I really appreciate it, but I need your continued support because this is really important to me." Just think how awful you'd feel if you caved on something you really believed in just because "other people" disapproved.

FYI - I BFed my DS until he was 13 months and he started self weaning at about 11.5 months. It was a very easy transition for us, but the actual BFing was incredibly painful to me for the first 4 months. Everyone said "You tried, but you can stop now, it's okay to go to formula." Well, I'll be darned if I was going to quit on something I believed to be CRITICAL to my DS's development. It got better and we got to 13 months!

You can do it and I'm sure your mama will come around They just gotta get used to it.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:

you're doing the right thing!

I think that all our moms want to be supportive and maybe if you tell her how important her support is to you she'll understand and change her tune a little. I hope so anyway!

HUGS!!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
PainterKids
Registered Users
seller

You are making the right choice! You also make me feel like the luckiest woman in the world. Among my friends, I weaned my EBF son early at 17 months Know that there are lots of us out there who feel the exact same way as you. I don't plan to wean my daughter at all. She'll get to choose. I hope your day improves.
PainterKids is offline   Reply With Quote