Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2011, 07:00 AM   #11
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Re: Demanding CDing at home daycare. Need opinions...

How would you feel if you needed to put a newborn baby in daycare and your daycare DEMANDED you use sposies while there. They would provide but you were not allowed to use what you wanted on your child while the child was in daycare. I'd be pretty po'ed. I don't think you have any right to refuse the sposies. I think you have the right to ask that you can cloth diaper the baby in your care and you'll provide but you don't have the right to refuse her sposies. If I were her, I would take my child elsewhere.

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 07:01 AM   #12
karaboone
Registered Users
seller

while i loove my cloth i sure wouldnt want to be demanded to do something i dont want to.

i refuse going to daycares thay demand sposies and id be the same way vice versa w cloth had i not cd-ed.

i get its your house but be prepared for her to not use you to babysit if it will be soley based on that. or maybe she may agree who k ows

if she doesnt agree would a wetbag for her sposies to take home and discard be an option?

ISO/IHA (diapers!!) List :: FS: Baby Legs, Jewelry & More Here!
karaboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:03 AM   #13
french-kissed
Registered Users
seller

When people come on here saying their MIL/friend/whoever doesn't support them using cloth diapers and even refuses to use them when babysitting, people always say something along the lines of "You're the parent, so you ultimately decide what products are used on your child." I don't fully believe that-- I think *especially* if you use a family member or friend for reduced-cost childcare, you are giving them a stake in your child's upbringing and need to honor their requests and expectations in some ways. Here it's the same answer: Your friend is the parent and you are the service provider. Is she goingto be paying you the $1200/month it would cost for her to put the child in another daycare? If so, she has full authority. Either way, you can ask, and she might agree (I don't see why she wouldn't, especially with your overly generous offer to buy newborn stuff you don't personally need!), but if she says no I wouldn't risk the relationship over diapers.
french-kissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:03 AM   #14
4littlenorskes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidensmom325 View Post
...but my only stipulation is that she has to use cloth diapers, at least when he is with me. Basically im refusing to use sposies.

I will provide the diapers to use here with me as well as washing them. She can bring 1 sposie to take him home in, but while he is here he is gonna be using cloth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidensmom325 View Post
I refuse to do something that goes against everything I believe in just to satisfy someone else. I of course wont propose it to her as a demand though, that would just be rude.
See, your title and in your OP I was picking up on it as a demand or you won't watch her lo. I would just let her know that while he is with you you'll be using CDs and you will be providing them so no added expense to her and she doesn't have do the laundry!

I understand going against everything you believe in but there's that fine line too. See, if someone watches my girl and they are uncomfortable with CDs I always supply them with sposies. I know this is the opposite but there is a level of respect for our parenting decisions and you don't want her to take offense that her using sposies is a bad parenting choice. I would just be easy going with it and no pressure and you never know maybe you'll convert her...

Last edited by 4littlenorskes; 01-19-2011 at 07:06 AM.
4littlenorskes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #15
youngmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ehhh....this could go either way momma. Especially since she is your friend. I would "offer" to do cloth at your house and explain that you'll wash them and take care of the details--but I don't think I would make it an ultimatum. I'm sure if you present it as you are doing her a favor and saving her money and not it's my way or the highway she might be more willing.
Are you willing to loose a friend/potential babysitting job over it?
What's the saying???? You attract more bees with sugar than vinegar?
We love cloth diapers , but I am a non-crunchy mommy.#3 due in Oct
youngmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #16
Sweet Karma Cakes
Registered Users
Formerly: aidensmom325
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeryGnomeHome View Post
How would you feel if you needed to put a newborn baby in daycare and your daycare DEMANDED you use sposies while there. They would provide but you were not allowed to use what you wanted on your child while the child was in daycare. I'd be pretty po'ed. I don't think you have any right to refuse the sposies. I think you have the right to ask that you can cloth diaper the baby in your care and you'll provide but you don't have the right to refuse her sposies. If I were her, I would take my child elsewhere.
If someone was asking me to go against what I believe in I would take my child elsewhere. Honestly if she chooses to do so it wont bother me a bit. No hard feelings.
Sweet Karma Cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #17
Sweet Karma Cakes
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by french-kissed View Post
When people come on here saying their MIL/friend/whoever doesn't support them using cloth diapers and even refuses to use them when babysitting, people always say something along the lines of "You're the parent, so you ultimately decide what products are used on your child." I don't fully believe that-- I think *especially* if you use a family member or friend for reduced-cost childcare, you are giving them a stake in your child's upbringing and need to honor their requests and expectations in some ways. Here it's the same answer: Your friend is the parent and you are the service provider. Is she goingto be paying you the $1200/month it would cost for her to put the child in another daycare? If so, she has full authority. Either way, you can ask, and she might agree (I don't see why she wouldn't, especially with your overly generous offer to buy newborn stuff you don't personally need!), but if she says no I wouldn't risk the relationship over diapers.
She will be paying me $80 per week to watch her NB from 5a.m to 3 p.m
Old 01-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #18
Sweet Karma Cakes
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4littlenorskes View Post
See, your title and in your OP I was picking up on it as a demand or you won't watch her lo. I would just let her know that while he is with you you'll be using CDs and you will be providing them so no added expense to her and she doesn't have do the laundry!

I understand going against everything you believe in but there's that fine line too. See, if someone watches my girl and they are uncomfortable with CDs I always supply them with sposies. I know this is the opposite but there is a level of respect for our parenting decisions and you don't want her to take offense that her using sposies is a bad parenting choice. I would just be easy going with it and no pressure and you never know maybe you'll convert her...
On the inside it is a demand, but I wouldnt bring it up to her that way. I personally dont feel right using sposies. I would feel like a hypocrite. I wouldnt put out there as a bad parenting choice to her, just an environmentally irresponsible choice.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #19
stayj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
If you want my opinion I think it is out of line to make demands with other peoples children. I think you can make a request and a proposal to her to supply and use them, but in all honesty if you tried to demand something with my kids, I would not want them in your home, that is such a gross violation and disrespect in my eyes

Just my 2 cents,
Totally agree with the above. Do you already have an in home daycare and other children with this arrangement? If this child will be your first child in the home daycare-if you're just starting out...I think this is not a good way to approach it. I think it is entirely inappropriate to make decisions on behalf of someone else's child. The daycare we used to use, and our emergency backup daycare (when the nanny is on vacation or out) used/uses our cloth, but it's a choice *I* made for my son.
stayj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #20
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

There's a difference between "demanding" and having policies. You are absolutely within your rights to have policies about your daycare, and parents can choose whether they're acceptable or not to them. If they aren't, they find a new daycare. Seems simple enough to me. I specifically looked for someone not weirded out by my cloth diapers. Lots of places have a no cd policy and I simply chose not to use them, so I don't see how this is any different.

But you'll be more likely to win her over by spinning it as a positive and just something you're excited to do. Unless he's allergic to your detergent or you don't have a good wash routine it shouldn't be an issue.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote