Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #21
Sweet Karma Cakes
Registered Users
Formerly: aidensmom325
seller

Re: Demanding CDing at home daycare. Need opinions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmomma View Post
Ehhh....this could go either way momma. Especially since she is your friend. I would "offer" to do cloth at your house and explain that you'll wash them and take care of the details--but I don't think I would make it an ultimatum. I'm sure if you present it as you are doing her a favor and saving her money and not it's my way or the highway she might be more willing.
Are you willing to loose a friend/potential babysitting job over it?
What's the saying???? You attract more bees with sugar than vinegar?
Im definitely planning on bringing it up as im doing her a favor or if I can convince her it was her idea even better. If I lose a friend over this then honestly was that "friend" really worth it? She knows how passionate I am about this topic and I will hold no hard feelings if she doesnt want me to use them, as I hope neither will she. Im doing this as a favor and charging her such a small amount that it wouldnt bother me to not have this "job".

Advertisement

Sweet Karma Cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #22
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

There's a difference between "demanding" and having policies. You are absolutely within your rights to have policies about your daycare, and parents can choose whether they're acceptable or not to them. If they aren't, they find a new daycare. Seems simple enough to me. I specifically looked for someone not weirded out by my cloth diapers. Lots of places have a no cd policy and I simply chose not to use them, so I don't see how this is any different.

But you'll be more likely to win her over by spinning it as a positive and just something you're excited to do. Unless he's allergic to your detergent or you don't have a good wash routine it shouldn't be an issue.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #23
stayj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
If you want my opinion I think it is out of line to make demands with other peoples children. I think you can make a request and a proposal to her to supply and use them, but in all honesty if you tried to demand something with my kids, I would not want them in your home, that is such a gross violation and disrespect in my eyes

Just my 2 cents,
Totally agree with the above. Do you already have an in home daycare and other children with this arrangement? If this child will be your first child in the home daycare-if you're just starting out...I think this is not a good way to approach it. I think it is entirely inappropriate to make decisions on behalf of someone else's child. The daycare we used to use, and our emergency backup daycare (when the nanny is on vacation or out) used/uses our cloth, but it's a choice *I* made for my son.
stayj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:22 AM   #24
Sweet Karma Cakes
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayj View Post
Totally agree with the above. Do you already have an in home daycare and other children with this arrangement? If this child will be your first child in the home daycare-if you're just starting out...I think this is not a good way to approach it. I think it is entirely inappropriate to make decisions on behalf of someone else's child. The daycare we used to use, and our emergency backup daycare (when the nanny is on vacation or out) used/uses our cloth, but it's a choice *I* made for my son.
No I dont have an in home day care nor do I plan on starting one. Just a favor for a friend.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #25
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Your house, your rules. As an in-home provider, I can "demand" anything I want and charge a million dollars a week. The parents ALWAYS have the choose to abide by my policies or go elsewhere. It's not like she has no other childcare options. Especially because this is a friend, I would certainly approach it in a respectful and open manner. I personally don't see how she would not benefit entirely from this set up but again, if she doesn't like it, she can find another babysitter. I am passionate about some things in my home and will not give at all on this (like no smoking, not even in the driveway or on the street in front of the house). Its my house. I don't have to give on everything just to accommodate daycare families. Stick by your convictions mama! You can do that in a polite manner but I don't think you are requiring anything outrageous. I bet most of the moms telling you that are moms that have never worked with a daycare and have never had to give on some items in order to work a daycare situation out (just my guess).
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #26
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Your house, your rules. As an in-home provider, I can "demand" anything I want and charge a million dollars a week. The parents ALWAYS have the choose to abide by my policies or go elsewhere. It's not like she has no other childcare options. Especially because this is a friend, I would certainly approach it in a respectful and open manner. I personally don't see how she would not benefit entirely from this set up but again, if she doesn't like it, she can find another babysitter. I am passionate about some things in my home and will not give at all on this (like no smoking, not even in the driveway or on the street in front of the house). Its my house. I don't have to give on everything just to accommodate daycare families. Stick by your convictions mama! You can do that in a polite manner but I don't think you are requiring anything outrageous. I bet most of the moms telling you that are moms that have never worked with a daycare and have never had to give on some items in order to work a daycare situation out (just my guess).
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #27
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it's unreasonable. I treat people as I want to be treated. I want to be able to make choices in regards to my kids (without judgement) and I'm sure you do to.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #28
Sweet Karma Cakes
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaiMom* View Post
I think it's unreasonable. I treat people as I want to be treated. I want to be able to make choices in regards to my kids (without judgement) and I'm sure you do to.
I wouldnt ever ask someone to go against their beliefs to accomodate me. So I dont see how im violating the golden rule. She can make any choice she like, but in my home, my rules. Just like if it were the other way around she has the right to enforce any rule in her home. The fact remains that it IS an environmentally irresponsible choice to use sposies. That is a fact, not just my opinion. And I choose to not be a helping hand in that.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #29
Sweet Karma Cakes
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
I guess thats the best analogy so far. What she does in her home is her business, but in my home you follow my rules or you leave. I would NEVER be rude about it, but just kindly explain that I feel way to strongly about this and wont compromise on the issue . (though the one sposie to go home in, was a compromise IMO)

And I just dont see how she would be put out by this, heck she is gonna save a crapload of $$ by not using sposies while he is here.

The same will go for if he were older and eating solid foods. I will provide the organic/healthier substitute to any conventional foods out of my own pocket if needed, but I couldnt feed ANY child "garbage food" (cheetos, pop tarts, sugar cereal) and feel right about it. To us (my family) this is like a religion to us. I wouldnt ever ask someone to go against their religion or beliefs to accomodate me...just MHO.

Last edited by Sweet Karma Cakes; 01-19-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #30
zamia7
Registered Users

There are daycares that refuse cloth, so by all means you can refuse sposies, kwim? And it's not like you are asking her to do anything at all.
zamia7 is offline   Reply With Quote