Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2017, 06:09 AM   #1
MinekaC
Registered Users

Kawaii Baby Alpix bamboo pocket diapers review

http://www.theluvyourbaby.com/kawaii...-cloth-diaper/

I had a really hard time finding info on these, since they're new.
In a nut shell: DO NOT BUY! DON'T DO IT!!!!!

I got a whole bunch, since I prefer velcro closures. Washed one, warm/cold w Charlies liquid soap, LG load w/ 1/4oz of detergent. Laid flat to dry. That was last night.
This morning, still wet (you can't line dry them, so I can't put it out in the sun to speed it up, since the wind will blow it away) and I noticed the serged seem is all loose, the stitching attaching the pocket to the back is coming un-done. The tabs (that I know I attached last night before it went in the wash, cause no one likes velcro grabbing everything!) were free.
The tabs are also already curling. I'm not sure, without opening another one, but it looks like there's cracks in the shell already as well.
The baby hasn't even worn these yet! They recommend washing 3-4 times before using them to prep the fabric. I don't think this is going to make it through the prep stage, let alone the in-use stage!

I just wanted to give you all a huge heads up; AVOID! If the tabs can't even survive going through the gentle wash, I have zero hope that they'll make it through toddler-hood.
Also, since they've curled on wash one, that means even more difficulty getting them to stay.
Just stay FAR FAR FAR away from these is my suggestion.

Update:
After starting the return process, and explaining why I wanted to return them this was the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by me, original return request
RETURN #207
KaWaii Baby One Size "No more scratching" Aplix Bamboo Cloth Diaper
REQUESTED
7th Jun 2017
ACTION
Refund
REASON
There Was A Problem With The Product
COMMENTS
*Note that I can't see pattern names on the return list; since they are all the same price I just minused one from the collection.
I have pictures I can share.
I opened one of the Aplix pockets, and washed it last night in prep for today. Before it even went in the wash, the threads around the pocket opening where coming un-done. So I tied them off so they wouldn't fray.
They were washed w/ Charlies soap on warm/cold, and not put in the dryer, but left to air dry. This morning, I went to check on them, and the pocket opening is a. fraying, the stitching is loose. The Aplix tabs are already curling, and the weren't attached to their washer tabs (which I know I attached before they went in the wash, since I hate removing velcro from other other things.)
So loose stitchin, curling velrco, and tabs that don't stay secure. This is not a good combo. I'm very upset, because I was really looking forward to switching the LO to pockets, since she's getting more mobile, but now I'm delayed since I need the funds from this order before I can purchase replacements.
In addition, I have to pay all the shipping charges, when the product is sub-par. Very very disappointed. Especially since it'll be international shipping charges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaii baby
Hi Mineka,

Thank you for contacting us and we are sorry to hear you've been experiencing such problem. Our quality control is very stringent and seldom seen such issue.

In order to assist you further, please send us photographs clearly showing all the affected diapers. Once we receive your reply, it will take at least 24 -72 hours to be looked into. However, we will get back to you as soon as possible.

We apologize for any inconvenience that have caused.

Regards
*I'd also like to note, that I stated in my original return that I only opened the one, so I minus'd that from my return request since they don't accept things that have been opened/used.
I'd have to be an idiot to open the others, when the first one turned out like that, no? So how can I photograph the other diapers without opening them? I can't. So that's just frustrating in of itself.

I'd like to point out, that they want pictures, but they don't tell me how I'm supposed to do that. Since their contact form doesn't have an option, and I don't know if they check the email that this was sent from.
To hedge my bets, I sent a reply via both the contact us form, with links to the pictures I shared above, and also as an attachment to the luvyourbaby gmail account that this response originated from.
Back to waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I wasn't really sure where, or how I was supposed to send pictures. So I sent a "contact us" form, with links to the images in it. But I'm also following up with sending an email to this address, not sure if it'll end up where it needs to be.

But these are the two images. In the one, you can see frayed threads from both the stitching and the fabric, and alittle further down you can see the loose stitching of the serged portion. From experience, loose stitching like that is going to unravel fairly fast.

The second picture is a down shot of the side of the tab. You can see how it's already, after one warm/cold wash, is curling in around itself. Your recomendation is to wash these 3-4 times before first use. I don't trust this diaper to stay together in subsequent washes.
I only opened the one, because as per your site, it states the returned diapers have to be inun-opened/un-used packaging. It would be rather silly for me to open more only to find they're all un-usable and now all un-returnable.

Sincerely,
Mineka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii Baby
Hi Mineka,

Thank you for the pictures you provided. I am sorry cloth diaper is just like underwear, once it has been washed or used, we cannot take it back. If you've ordered multiple items of the same style, we recommend to open one and try it out. If you're not happy with it, you can simply return the unused and unwashed ones for a full refund.

Most of the moms prefer soft velcro because they said the hard velcro will scratch their baby's skin, not sure if you try to press it down until it stick to the hook part, because mine is absolutely fine. For the loose threads, I cannot see the issue very clearly but I think it could be too early to jump to the conclusion that a few extra thread will cause the diaper to fall apart.

However, if the problem getting worse, please feel free to contact us again, we will be happy to assist you further.

Regards,

Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Dear Brian,

You ARE aware that I only opened ONE out of the ELEVEN alpix diapers I ordered, correct?
I mentioned that before. That I ordered ELEVEN, and per your site only opened ONE to test out. That is when I noticed loose threads, that deteriorated further during the FIRST wash. That on the cool/warm setting the tabs already started to curl, that they wouldn't stay attached to the washer tabs during the drying process. They'd be attached, then I'd come back and they wouldn't be. Re-attach, repeat until diaper eventually dry 24 hours later.
I don't understand, why when the items aren't even opened (I can take a picture and SHOW you that they're still in plastic, still bundeled together, minus the bundle that I removed the ONE diaper from, and all have their paper wrappers on INSIDE the plastic!)
That ALL of my returns were rejected.
I'm sorry, this is going to sound VERY rude, but that is COMPLETE BULL****! I haven't even opened them, minus the one, so I can't return an un-opened package, even though your site says I can?! I told you I wasn't willing to open the other ten since the one was such terrible quality.

I am utterly appalled at this, and the complete lack of customer care that you seem to have. Not to mention the apparent capability to read an email in it's entirety.
Thank you for making me aware they you don't seemingly care about your customers.

Sincerely,
Mineka (who will be letting as many other mothers she knows know about this)

Edit:
Well, cause you know as a person whose been sewing more more than a decade, I obviously know NOTHING about stitching. Just for giggles I washed the diaper again. What a SHOCK! The un-attaching velcro grabbed the loose stitches and the fabric and know it IS a fraying mess.
Yes, I def don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to sewing.

Advertisement

Last edited by MinekaC; 06-12-2017 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Updating on company return
MinekaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:26 AM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Kawaii Baby Alpix bamboo pocket diapers review

I was just looking at these and the HD! Did you get them from theluvyourbaby site or somewhere else? How may did you get and can you return them?
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:19 AM   #3
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

I have a friend using the bamboo kawaii snap. She loves them. Overall they seem to work well and have good quality in her experience. I'm sorry the aplix is not working out for you!
Old 06-07-2017, 08:23 AM   #4
Rozpenny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was considering trying them as well. Thanks for your review
Rozpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:36 AM   #5
MinekaC
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I was just looking at these and the HD! Did you get them from theluvyourbaby site or somewhere else? How may did you get and can you return them?
I ordered them directly from their site. I bought 11 alpix, 4 snap, and 2 covers.
The Snaps seem fine, they're a thicker micro fleece, so I'm good with that. The covers are excellent, seem really sturdy. It's mind boggling how two can be really great, and one a complete and utter disaster in every single way!
Since, once they're opened, I can't return it, I can still return the 10 un-opened ones.
However... I bought them without inserts though, that makes them 4 dollars, and since I got free shipping, they'll subtract the shipping charge to send it to me, and then I have to pay to get them back. So fifty dollars in shipping charges, to return 40 dollars worth of product! AUGH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozpenny
I was considering trying them as well. Thanks for your review
I'd def buy one, if you want to try them. But I'm very unhappy. The cotton outter shell is still wet, the bamboo is still wet (they've been sitting out for about 18hrs now...) and I have a gas dryer, so that'd just be a bad mix, and I live in a very windy tunnel. Since they said to lay them flat to dry, I have no where else to dry them cept where they are, and it it takes two days to dry, I just can't use them at all. Crazy.
But there other stuff seems to be really great. Wish I had just bought the snaps instead of the alpix.

I've explained everything to Kawaii, so we'll see what they say. The cost to return them/pay for the initial shipping cost, is more than the cost of the products. So I don't know whether I'll cut my losses and donate them (I genuinely don't think anyone should pay for these) to a family that could use them, or what.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinekaC View Post
I ordered them directly from their site. I bought 11 alpix, 4 snap, and 2 covers.
The Snaps seem fine, they're a thicker micro fleece, so I'm good with that. The covers are excellent, seem really sturdy. It's mind boggling how two can be really great, and one a complete and utter disaster in every single way!
Since, once they're opened, I can't return it, I can still return the 10 un-opened ones.
However... I bought them without inserts though, that makes them 4 dollars, and since I got free shipping, they'll subtract the shipping charge to send it to me, and then I have to pay to get them back. So fifty dollars in shipping charges, to return 40 dollars worth of product! AUGH!

I'd def buy one, if you want to try them. But I'm very unhappy. The cotton outter shell is still wet, the bamboo is still wet (they've been sitting out for about 18hrs now...) and I have a gas dryer, so that'd just be a bad mix, and I live in a very windy tunnel. Since they said to lay them flat to dry, I have no where else to dry them cept where they are, and it it takes two days to dry, I just can't use them at all. Crazy.
But there other stuff seems to be really great. Wish I had just bought the snaps instead of the alpix.

I've explained everything to Kawaii, so we'll see what they say. The cost to return them/pay for the initial shipping cost, is more than the cost of the products. So I don't know whether I'll cut my losses and donate them (I genuinely don't think anyone should pay for these) to a family that could use them, or what.
If it's a defective product you should be able to return/exchange for free. But you can't say the others are defective without opening them. I don't think the tab curling would qualify as defective, but the stitching popping open after 1 wash should. If I were you I'd hope that particular diaper is just a lemon.

The shipping charges sound outrageous!

Personally I'd dry them in the dryer, I don't baby laundry.

I went to the site to look at if you buy 3+ of that particular diaper you can get 50% off of all of them, so even with inserts they'd be just under $5.50/diaper. I wonder if it's just a special sale or if they are trying to get rid of them? Maybe they have been having lots of issues with them?

If customer service is a bear and you do end up donating, I would love to try them. Like I said before I have been looking at these and the HD. I really hope it's just an off one though! Keep us updated on how it goes and what the company does, I always love to know who has good CS and who doesn't!
Old 06-07-2017, 11:48 AM   #7
MinekaC
Registered Users

Quote:
If it's a defective product you should be able to return/exchange for free. But you can't say the others are defective without opening them. I don't think the tab curling would qualify as defective, but the stitching popping open after 1 wash should. If I were you I'd hope that particular diaper is just a lemon.

The shipping charges sound outrageous!

Personally I'd dry them in the dryer, I don't baby laundry.

I went to the site to look at if you buy 3+ of that particular diaper you can get 50% off of all of them, so even with inserts they'd be just under $5.50/diaper. I wonder if it's just a special sale or if they are trying to get rid of them? Maybe they have been having lots of issues with them?

If customer service is a bear and you do end up donating, I would love to try them. Like I said before I have been looking at these and the HD. I really hope it's just an off one though! Keep us updated on how it goes and what the company does, I always love to know who has good CS and who doesn't!
Yea, I was "Four dollars, without inserts?! That's GREAT!" Since it was a B finding velcro pockets that weren't crazy pricey. I might just bite the bullet and order alva pockets, even though snaps aren't my fav.
Oh well, they're harder to get on, but LO might not be ripping her diaper off while running across the lawn next year.

Depending on what they say/do; I will let you know. I'd be happy to send you some if you cover the shipping charges. There's a local cloth diaper network, and The Rebecca Foundation; but I'm also wondering if it's fair to drop them off there. >__< These could leave such a bad taste in people who are new to CD.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #8
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinekaC View Post
Yea, I was "Four dollars, without inserts?! That's GREAT!" Since it was a B finding velcro pockets that weren't crazy pricey. I might just bite the bullet and order alva pockets, even though snaps aren't my fav.
Oh well, they're harder to get on, but LO might not be ripping her diaper off while running across the lawn next year.

Depending on what they say/do; I will let you know. I'd be happy to send you some if you cover the shipping charges. There's a local cloth diaper network, and The Rebecca Foundation; but I'm also wondering if it's fair to drop them off there. >__< These could leave such a bad taste in people who are new to CD.
If you like the snap ones you got why don't you get more of those?

Hopefully they will let you exchange them for a different version at the very least!

That's the reason I was considering these so much....I hate snaps. A lot.

We've been cloth diapering for 10 years, so a lousy diaper won't phase us, and of course I would cover shipping.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:55 PM   #9
MinekaC
Registered Users

Quote:
If you like the snap ones you got why don't you get more of those?

Hopefully they will let you exchange them for a different version at the very least!

That's the reason I was considering these so much....I hate snaps. A lot.

We've been cloth diapering for 10 years, so a lousy diaper won't phase us, and of course I would cover shipping.
If they're willing to do an exchange, I'd def take the snap diapers in a heartbeat, as there's nothing wrong with them. But I still need to spend 24 dollars to ship them back, which considering the quality....

I like the Alva's more because of the higher variety of patterns, and they're almost the same cost (I can't opt out of inserts with Alva's site, but at least then I'd have back-up back-ups to sell along with the stash at the end)
I have a few Alva pockets already, since I just can't say no to "free to good home" on ones that need new elastic/stitching re-done. So I know I'll be okay with those.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:48 AM   #10
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Any update? Curious how the company is responding to the issue.