Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

Natures fabric bamboo terry and hemp fleece review

I have been dying to try the sweet iris flats and I still might but with the holidays I just couldn't justify the cost for one flat to try.

Soooo I've gone diy. I ordered fabric from natures fabric. And since I couldn't find many detailed reviews. So I am posting this thread and will update as I go through the process of making my little projects

First off I bought 2 yards of hemp bamboo fleece. I had intended to only make doublers but I'm testing out the idea of pad fold flats as well. This is the thickest they have at 500GSM. It was very soft and still is after prepping. I'm sure it will continue prepping with use. It came in a tube of fabric rather than a sheet. I prepped it with the other bamboo I bought. I prepped both before cutting at all. I will detail my prepping below. Prior to prepping the hemp measured 30"(bolt length, this is actually 60" but is doubled over due to the tube form it comes in). And was 72" long. After prepping it measures 27.5" (bolt length) and 68.25" long. So I lost about 5" of width out of the circumference of the tube. And 4.75" out of the length. Not too bad and the fleece is still soft but more tight against the fabric instead of furry like it was before prepping.

I also bought 5 yards of bamboo stretch French terry. This is some super trim material. It is very stretchy as well. I'm including a picture of an area I grabbed and then stretched fully keeping my fingers in the same places on the fabric. Prior to prepping this cut measured 60"(bolt length) by 180"(5yds). After prepping it now measures 58.5" by 166.5". So I lost 1.5" off the bolt width and 13.5" off the length. It is still extremely stretchy. I did notice some "thinning" areas. They just seem to look bare when fabric is stretched so I'm not sure if this is because of where the spandex is in the fabric. I'll keep you posted.

My prepping process for both of these fabrics was to wash on hot with 1/2 tsp dawn (yes I know this isn't good for machines and I don't do this regularly) then dried on hot. Then washed without detergent and dried. Did this 3 times. So a total of 4 wash/dry cycles total.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1989409608.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	182574  

Advertisement

greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

This is to show the stretch of the bamboo terry stretch material
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3774689471.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	182575   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1463844249.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	182576  
Old 12-06-2015, 10:31 AM   #3
Leileimarie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Natures fabric bamboo terry and hemp fleece review

Great pics! Following

Mama of my two loves { 10/24/13 & 5/31/15} and wife to my best friend. "Today is gone, today was fun, tomorrow is another one" ~ Dr. Seuss
Leileimarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

Super trim. He wore it for two hours. It was between 1/3 and 1/2 wet. These seem too good to be true. Using all day today on both my boys so we shall see.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2655590471.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	182585  

Last edited by greysmama; 12-06-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #5
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greysmama
Super trim. He wore it for two hours. It was between 1/3 and 1/2 wet. These seem too good to be true. Using all day today on replied dos so we shall see.
I made flats out of this exact same fabric. I've never used the sweet iris flats to compare. The only issue is that over time the stretch terry becomes less stretchy. They are super trim and absorb any though and I LOvE this stretch terry. I've made flats and also clothes for the kids with it. It makes amazing leggings and faux woombies. It takes dye so nicely as well.

Here is one I made (I *think* I did like 27" square) on my then one month old
Old 12-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
Leileimarie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysmama View Post
Super trim. He wore it for two hours. It was between 1/3 and 1/2 wet. These seem too good to be true. Using all day today on replied dos so we shall see.

Wow! They look amazingly trim. This is a newbie question but can I ask what fold you did? I've only have done origami so far....
Okay... I think I will be ordering some soon. Thanks for the info and motivation

Mama of my two loves { 10/24/13 & 5/31/15} and wife to my best friend. "Today is gone, today was fun, tomorrow is another one" ~ Dr. Seuss
Old 12-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #7
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

All day on two kiddos without any leaks and barely wet at each change. Either they are wetting a lot less and faking me out or these things are magic. On the babies for bedtime with a half flat of same material pad folded in.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:35 PM   #8
Leileimarie
Registered Users
seller

I'm hoping they are magic lol let us know how they did at night

Old 12-07-2015, 07:53 AM   #9
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

So both kiddos woke up without leaks. My almost 3 yr old was practically dry so I think he just didn't pee. He just outgrew a horrible heavy wetting phase. I mean a month ago his night diaper looked like a bowling ball.
My 12m old soaked his set up but no leaks. He usually soaks a bamboozle fitted with a thirsties large hemp doubler. The bamboozle is a lot bigger and I was actually surprise this super trim diaper worked over night. These are super impressive for sure.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:19 AM   #10
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

Wanted to add I love that this material is still soft and floppy when wet. Not at all like my experience with obf sbish diapers.