Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2017, 06:37 PM   #1
handbanana
Registered Users

starting out with casual cloth diapering?

Is this even remotely a thing? I notice people tend to be pretty all-in when it comes to cloth diapering but I'd really like to try it casually and see if it's something I'd consider committing to. I got some amazing deals on disposables size N-3 so I've got a bit of a stockpile for the younger ages, but for whatever reason I'd like to give cloth a try as well. I was thinking about getting a couple different covers and I have some cotton sheets and towels to upcycle into prefolds. Is this a silly idea? Is there a reason why no one does cloth part time? Is it more of a go big or go home thing?

Advertisement

handbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:45 PM   #2
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: starting out with casual cloth diapering?

I actually think a lot of people do it part time. When mine was from like 2-4moa we did cloth during the day and at a certain point at night would switch to disposable then switch back to cloth in the morning. When we very first started only 2 or 3 of his diapers were cloth per day until we got the hang of it. A lot of people here even use disposables at night from birth to potty and cloth during the day. It really is just whatever fits your personal needs and schedule.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:09 PM   #3
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

We've been all over the place from full time exclusive cloth to full time exclusive disposable. Right now I have two in diapers. We use cloth most days and use disposables at night. If we are going to be gone all day or someone has diarrhea I put them in disposables and don't fret over it. Do whatever works for you!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #4
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Any time in cloth is great. Even if you just substitute one diaper a day, that's great! If you like it get more. Some people want a full stash for washing purposes. But you can handwash or hand prewash (good rinse) then wash with your other laundry. It's not rocket science, it's just cotton consider checking out some upcycle ideas by spending some time on the Flats HandWashing Challenge pages. You can easily create flat diapers from old tshirts and receiving blankets! You could get Dappi nylon pull on covers for $5/2 pack at Big box stores. Sometimes they're near diapers and other times they're near the potty training undies.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:20 PM   #5
handbanana
Registered Users

Thanks for all the tips everyone! Yeah I was thinking I'd do a cloth diaper here and there and see what works for us. Pre-rinsing by hand and washing with regular laundry sounds like a good plan.
handbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Some people do sposies at night, daycare, and/or out&about and cloth at home. I've ready posts where they do sposies until the morning poop then switch to cloth. There are different reasons to cloth diaper and some of it depends on your reason.

We tend to be all in, but DD has always been very sensitive, it would have been a lot easier to throw out the cloth early and switch to sposies as she has not issues with them but for our reasons we stuck it out... mostly.... in her later phrase, the just "pull ups" at night phase, we do use a disposable insert within a cloth trainer so we are half and half with just the one diaper a day!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool and my Tinkle Traps Review. Everything must go! Check Lots: CV, TR, WL
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:46 PM   #7
amdafforn16
Registered Users
seller

I'm currently pregnant with my first, so I have no actual experience but... I plan to use sposies in the hospital, just because I don't anticipate wanting to do laundry the moment we get home and don't really want a wetbag of dirty diapers laying around for a few days. Past that, I want to try to use cloth as much as possible mostly for cost reasons... I am CHEAP! But I do plan to probably keep a pack or two of sposies on hand most of the time just for convenience/traveling/emergency empty cloth stash/whatever life throws at us. I think cloth diapering is different for everyone so you should just do what feels right for you!
amdafforn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:46 AM   #8
MinekaC
Registered Users

When we started, we did nothing but sposies till the stump fell off.
Then we did cloth during the day, and sposies at night.
Now, at 8 mo I put cloth on for the first leg of the night, and sposie for the second half (mostly cause I don't want to "guess" if a wet butt is the reason LO won't go back to sleep at 4a) I'm working on getting the courage up to try using the hook and loop pockets I have for the second leg of the night.
But I'm scared for early wake ups, and not being able to go back to sleep.
MinekaC is offline   Reply With Quote