Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
valerieca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation Need Immediate Help for a friend in Salt Lake City!

Long story short:

Mom was induced 3 weeks early. First baby. Had the baby on the 17th. Baby's sugar was in the 30's at birth. Hospital wanted it at least in the 50 range. They took baby away and started a sugar IV which she has been on since the birth. Baby was separated from mom for several hours immediately after birth. When she was given the opportunity to latch she was too sleepy. Hospital has her pumping every 3 hours (which is one good thing)... But they told mom that colostrum wasn't enough nutrition for baby and they wouldn't allow her to take baby off IV or take her home until her milk came in or she gave baby formula. Mom refused the formula and hospital then gave her the option to offer "Human Pasteurized milk" and baby has been getting that via finger tube... but still not latching. Mom has flat to inverted nipples so she says or they told her....

There's a lot more to this...ugh..I want to help her and i'm trying not to get my emotions and how i'd handle it mixed in I just want her to know there are more educated options out there and get her the info she needs before she gives up

Does anyone know of an LLL leader in the area? (I'm emailing her the list of names/#'s I found on the LLL site) Would they call her? Or visit her? Are there any IBCLC's in Sandy or SLC area?

She says she is committed to bf'ing but so far she is just going on what the hospital tells her....

Advertisement

Last edited by valerieca; 01-19-2011 at 11:16 PM.
valerieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
rsu
Registered Users

Re: Need Immediate Help for a friend in Salt Lake City!

She could get an SNS http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/breastfeeding-devices/51/supplemental-nursing-system-sns and supplement with donor breast milk or formula until her milk supply increases/baby learns to latch.
rsu is offline   Reply With Quote